Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
11,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at the design of the stock Hood scoop. I took it off last night and I noticed that it was designed poorly. The slit inside the scoop points down. When the air hits the scoop, it gets deflected down.

When I took out the scoop, I noticed that it would have been a whole lot better if the opening was parallel to the hood. You would get a whole lot more air in it. Also the opening is only about 1/4".

I will be taking stock piece and redisigning it. It will be made out of billet aluminim though. I will make it out of a polished piece and also anodized in Red.

What would you like etched in it, 2.4L Turbo just like the stock piece is?

I can't write SRT-4 for obvious legal issues.

Hector

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
Hector, I also noticed that last week when curiosity got the best of me and I looked at the scoop. Poor design IMO as well. I was looking at how it attached to the hood today when I was changing my oil and it looks real easy to remove. 2 small nuts under the hood? Can't wait to see yours. 2.4L TURBO, would look really nice in the same type of font face that is used on the stock one.

·
Premium Member
5,578 Posts
i think the same thing that is on there now would look good. how much do you expect it to weigh?

·
Registered
11,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't know of hand but it s hould weight about the same amount as 2 billet shift knobs or 3 big macs.

·
Premium Member
14,830 Posts
I'll ask the aero engineer I work with to give me his opinion. Already had him give the wing a once over.

·
Registered
11,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes do that. I would like to see what they say. I think the reason they made it so small is so you dont get as much water inside. When I looked behind the scoop, I was amazed on how large of a cavity there is in there.

With the small slit, it looks like it helps diverge some air to the foward holes that are suppose to cool off the intake manifold. The intake manifold holes are located about 10 inches foward of the inlet. WHen the air enters the scoop, its directed straight down (towards ground). It would have been better if they would have opened it parallel to the hood so you can get a bigger gulp like the WRX does.

As i said before, I think it was made like this so less water would be introduced into the engine. I dont think it would really be an issue though. On my supra I have 4 large TRD vents in it and I drove the thing through FLorida Monsoons and the airfilter was located right below one and I never had an issue with in in 2 years.

I dont think aerodynamic drag would really be much of an issue also.

As for the spoiler, just call the SRT-4 The baby MKIV Supra. :)

I am no aerospace engineer but I have alot of friends who are. Im no expert but I have a BS in aviation technology and have studied aerodynamics etc. Oh, did I mention that I love planes? :)

·
Registered
534 Posts
Make it just say Turbo...or "2fast4you" hehe

·
Premium Member
5,578 Posts
do you own any planes?

·
Premium Member
14,830 Posts
He said it was shaped correctly to generate downforce, Flat top, curved bottom, opposite of an aircraft wing. How much? I don't figure I'll ever need to know, those autobahns being so damn far away and all! As far as the scoop, my uneducated guess is that once you pressurize the plenum (the space inside the hood), you don't get any gain from a bigger hole. Meaning the air will not exit the outlets any quicker. Wether they alllowed for the additional flow from the airbox mod is one question.

·
Registered
11,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The rear spoiler on my supra puts down 60 lbs of down force to the rear at 90mph.

As for the hood, once you make that nice large hole for the intake, you will definatly need a bigger ram air.

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
If it's functional, I'd definitely consider getting one and I don't even have an SRT 4 yet. :lol:

·
Registered
11,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
GD, what do you fly in? With that many Hrs Im sure you do it professionaly. I have friends who I graduated college with and they have been flying commercialy for about 6 years and I don't think they have that many hrs. :)

My buddy was flying A320 for usair and got layed off. ONly had 1 year senority.

Hemi,

Brushed aluminum would be to dull dont you think? Ill see if I can do it in that color. Brush aluminum is the color of the stock trim around the radio just so we are on the same note?

·
Registered
26,203 Posts
Exhaust Depot said:
GD, what do you fly in? With that many Hrs Im sure you do it professionaly. I have friends who I graduated college with and they have been flying commercialy for about 6 years and I don't think they have that many hrs. :)

My buddy was flying A320 for usair and got layed off. ONly had 1 year senority.

Hemi,

Brushed aluminum would be to dull dont you think? Ill see if I can do it in that color. Brush aluminum is the color of the stock trim around the radio just so we are on the same note?
I have a friend who is flying for United and now worried if he will keep his job. Though, you laugh when you see him, being a powerlifter and barely fitting into the Captains chair on a 737. LOL

The same color as the radio bezel.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts
About this Discussion
92 Replies
32 Participants
morgantj13
Dodge SRT Forum
The community to discuss high-performance Dodge vehicles from the SRT and PVO groups, SRT-4, SRT-6, SRT-8, and SRT-10. Come join the fun!
Full Forum Listing