Dodge SRT Forum banner

Big Turbo Upgrade (Guidance)

25K views 110 replies 19 participants last post by  enginjoe 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I've have been off the Forum for quite a while, focusing on work and stuff, and havent had time to work on my car, but now it's time to get back into it. I have read through a lot of the forum and the upgrade paths, and just looking for guidance / suggestions on what I should do to complete my project. I want to go with a new turbo, something that will be reliable and offer good power and driveability (only going to drive on weekends). I would really like to limit my total expense to no more than $3000 but would be more comfortable in the 2K range.

2005 ACR w/ under 60,000 mi.
Here is my list of mods, not all installed obvoiusly, car is still on stock tune:

MPx 3" turboback exhaust w/ cat and resonator
AEM UEGO Wideband
Walbro 255
AEM 3" SR Intake
MPx Oil Catch Can
DiabloSport Trinity
AGP Solid Motor Mounts
Mopar Blue Blow Off Plate
BC Coilovers
AGP Fuel Return Kit (not installed)
MPx Big Front Mount Intercooler (not installed)
DeatschWorks 1000cc Injectors (not installed)
3 bar map / tip sensors (not installed)
TurboXS Manual boost controller (not installed)

Things that I still plan on doing are adding a check valve and fuel pump rewire.

I know I will also need an external BOV when I go big turbo.

Basically I am looking for some suggestions and guidance, and if I have missed anything.... I am not real comfortable with tuning stuff myself, I just don't have any experience with it, kind of just want to install everything and get it dyno tuned (kind of a waste of the DST, I know). Close to 400hp would be awesome, but I would like to see at least 350.

Let me know what you think, Thanks!

See less See more
#3 ·
Your going to need a Clutch too. Get a PTE 5431 Kit From AGP and a 6 Puck from ACT. Should get you where you want to be reliably.

#5 ·
He's got the return line already and for his 350-400Hp Goal there's no point in doing a BNF :readclose

#6 ·
Sorry guys, really new to different types of turbos and this is the part that I am most stumped on..... No idea what turbo I want, and what is a bnf (sorry if its a stupid question)?

@ Ridin59vette: is this the turbo you are referring to?

Precision 5431 MFS - AGP Turbochargers, Inc. Store

And would I want the .48 or the .63?
Does this bolt up to the stock manifold?

I figured I needed a clutch too, just wasn't positive if I need it right away, I've read a lot of people stick with the stock one up to like 350, but if I go 400 I know it won't handle it well.

#9 · (Edited)
You will also Need a New BOV And Uppipe to mount it on. Other then that you should be good. It looks like you've got all the other support mods

Yes, that is the turbo, I would Def Go with a .63 That way when you get tired of the lower HP you still have some room on the turbo. With a .48 You will more then likely get a good amout of surge, also you would need a full kit. Like this SRT-4 Turbocharger Upgrade Kit - AGP Turbochargers, Inc. Store Then a quality Clutch. A bnf Is a Bottle neck fix. The stock fuel feed is very small so when you get to the higher HP Numbers it will hinder performance significantly.

#7 ·
.48 will spool a bit faster but .63 if u wan a bit more power. I'd honestly not use the .48 ar housing. To small, but it all depends on your personal goals.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#8 ·
That makes sense, and assuming you drive nicely you should get better fuel economy when out of boost. I think thats the route I would go, just don't want a lot of turbo lag.

Does that turbo bolt right up? And would I need a new Wastegate and BOV?

Again sorry for the dumb questions, this is the first turbo car I've owned, trying to do it right without blowing something up! :rofl:

#12 ·
Or just run it on Spring pressure

#14 ·
So I would be looking at this kit:

SRT-4 Turbocharger Upgrade Kit - AGP Turbochargers, Inc. Store

With the Precision 5431 .63 selection, and that would bring the total to $1775

Then a few hundered for the BOV setup, and an email tune, and I would be all done for less than $2500 or so?

That sounds like a pretty good option to me. I was just planning on doing the dyno tune because I am not real confident in my tuning skills, lol.

#15 ·
Pretty much man. Your going to want to look into a clutch aswell though. More then likely the stocker wont hold with the power that turbo will make

#43 ·
Check this place out, I think you can save some money buying this and still getting your power needs in
Hahn Racecraft - Automotive Turbosystems

Also, you don't need that six puck if you're going to be limited by the engine itself. Our engines can only handle around 425 whp max. Some people go over, but without a rebuild, it's a gamble.
I would recommend these clutches, they are not any stiffer than stock, but they have incredible hold and have intermediate torque levels.
For example, the spec clutch stage 2+ holds 450 lb ft of torque and is sub $500s. It is a crazy deal. Also it comes with a flywheel since it is a modular clutch. Also no chatter like with the ACTs.

03-05 SRT-4 SPEC Staged Clutch & Flywheel Kits: JSC Speed

But what are your goals? Just fast drag car or autocross or just an awesome car?

#17 ·
Yea man Honestly I would just get the Uppipe, The stock hotside hose works just fine. I thought the agp kits came with a rescale, to run the car. If not Yea PM Turbo666, Duster360 Or Linklow

#20 ·
Thanks a lot for all the input guys, and I have done a lot of reading, but I still don't know a lot about the different types of turbos available.

I will continue to do more research, but it is nice to see that I am at least heading in the right direction :lol:

#19 ·
yah i would go with what others suggested on the 5431..I installed mine last september nd damn does that thing pull! youl feel a big difference even running stock boost..and with the clutch i went with the act hd street clutch kit, and im glad i did its very "dd'able".You dont want a heavy duty clutch that is real responsive because youl run into problems with the tranny,like breaking input shafts!..so yes im sudgesting u get the street clutch kit! it will meet your power goals no problem..goodluck op

#24 ·
#25 ·
Map are good guys. I've ordered stuff from them before. Same with modern. E-85 will get you well over 400 with all the supporting mods.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#26 ·
This. Nothing but great experiences with both companies

Sent from my SCH-I510 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#28 ·
Cool, I'll look into that! Does that look like a good setup? And I was wondering if I should get an aftermarket fuel rail? Or if I can hold off on that for now.....

Thanks!

#38 · (Edited)
sounds good. although i have a shop less than 20 min from me that builds turbos, thats all they do. im tempted to drop my manifold and turbo off for a custom bws and purchase injectors/tune from duster. im not cheap im just cost effective. :lol::thumbsup:

#50 ·
I dont think mole made 400. I think it was high 380's. With the tq in the 400's

#59 ·
Get something bigger then the Hahn kit then.

#61 ·
its just so simple getting a bws, inj, and tune, without buying the manifold, lines and all that shit. fuck it im being frugile here lol. 20g and ill add meth later. iv made up my mind!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.