Dodge SRT Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So yesterday I went to the local dodge dealer to have my mopar bov and the sts installed so I picked it up during my lunch break and drove it back to school. When I got into the parking lot at school I noticed white smoke coming out from under the hood. So I go back to the dodge dealership after school and show them the problem. So they take it back to the technician that worked on it and he says it was the coating on the bov burning off from the heat of the turbo. So I think cool, the cars alright I'll just drive it around for 45 min so it'll all burn off, and it is still smoking. I drive it to school and it smokes. Drive it home from school, it still smokes. Drive it just alittle bit ago to pick my sister up and it is still smoking. When I get home I notice a nice puddle of oil where I park my car over night. I check the oil and it's pretty damn low for having it changed by the dealership 3 days prior to them installing the mopar stuff. I'm pretty pissed off and not sure what I should. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks, DanF

·
Premium Member
14,830 Posts
Do not drive the car!!!!!! What has happened is simple. Either way the tech boned up, but present it as a simple mistake. If you go in all accusatory, they'll get defensive, and you don't need that.

1. He did not tighten down the bolts for the oil line on top of the turbo all the way, allowing it to leak.

2. He did not (as called for in the book) replace the crush washer for that same line. Reusing the washer, while it can be done with no leaks, is NOT recommended.

If you drive the car hard, it's possible the turbo could get hot enough to make the oil burn. We had one case where exactly that happened.

Dealer installed BOV.

Owner noticed leak, took car in.

Dealer says (and wrote down, lucky for him) "oops we didn't tighten down that oil line, we'll snug it back down and top it off"

A few days later, smoke out from under hood, then fire. 2500 in fire damage, Dealer tried to blame him, said he "drove the car too hard, BOV made the turbo overheat"

Much heartache and a 20 page thread later, DCX got involved through the board, and made the dealer make it right.

PM Ebbtide and ask him what he thinks.

·
Premium Member
14,830 Posts
Let me know what happens, I keep a mental database of issues.:)

·
Premium Member
14,830 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,830 Posts
Agreed, I have done two Forges and one Mopar, would not dream of screwing with that line. Lazy effs!!!!! Any mechanic that reuses crush washers is an idget!!!

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
Ant @ Psi-Fi said:
Why is it that they feel the need to remove the oil line? I have done these with no problem (usually taking the BOV off the car) with out removing the oil lines. Just need a shorty 10mm wrench. :thumbsup:
Seriously, I think this would make it a much larger job then what it should be.

I remember that other thread too ... 19 pages of people calling him stupid and throwing the BS flag, and then I believe TurboG stepped in and said no, it was real, and got him a new Ram :)

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
Broken5hifT said:
i just put a large screwdriver between and pushed the oil line over ever so slightly, had no problems after that :deadcow:
I used a 10mm ratching wrench, and wrapped my arm underneath the manifold. Sounds hard, completly easy.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I took the car in this morning and I gave them the paper that I wrote the stuff down that glhs said. They were cool about and said they would take care of it. I'll let you guys know what the problem was.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I had this happen too...we thought we would loosen the oil line bolt so we could move it to make the install a little easier. well when we put the socket on the bolt it slipped off after one good tug, so we thought that it was on way to tight. Not so ..we loosened it up and we finally noticed the leak i had about a 1/4 of quart left. I think our bolt was a lot more loose.. Remocve your heat shield and clean good underneath it. MY stock WGA arm was rusted and a lot of nasty dried burnt oil is still there. You will enjoy that smell for about 3-4 weeks depending and be prepraed to freak out everytime you smell oil you will think it is you car leaking again....I NOW HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THIS..I THINK MY CAR IS DYING EVERYTIME I THINK I SMELL OIL...(walks into rehab center)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.