Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay with all the recent talk about the Front Bumper support being removed in order for the mounting of the FMIC's I wanted to find out what the comparison between FMIC's and water injection kits would be.

Now I have done a little bit of research, but what are your opinions?

Both serve as a solution to detonation, but is one better than the other?

·
Registered
907 Posts
hmmm... good point you have there! Although big FMIC with water injection would be even better no? Or perhaps that Spearco Direct fit FMIC with water injection woul dbe better than stock I guess, depending on the flow characteristics/ heat soak, pressure drop of the new Spearco FMiC.

That is definately something to look into.

Anybody have concrete info?

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am basiclly trying to decide between a Big FMIC or a water injection setup. From what I have read it seems they do the same thing. Although, I am not experienced enough to see which setup would yeild better benefits. Or if the differences are major or minor between the two options.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
water/alky injection works great. Keeps the stock intercooler and crash bar.
Downside: refilling the water/alky mix and maintaining the level of the fluid as well as fitment. Not a biggie.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Yeah, you can install a switch and run it when you want. I'm going to be running both. I have a water to air intercooler, plus water injection. For me I think I will need both since I'm going to try and max out the stock turbo.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
If you are running a good W-A IC you dont need the water injection. I good setup with a heat exchanger (radiator or whatever else you want to use) should yield low temperatures. On a custom IC setup on a 1g DSM, the engine temp dropped 100 degrees below ambiant. The ice bucket (regular cooler) was also filled with some beer (ya know, 5hp/beer). Unless you want it to clean carbon buildup i was say save you money for a better IC, just my 2c

·
Registered
711 Posts
SpecJ said:
If you are running a good W-A IC you dont need the water injection. I good setup with a heat exchanger (radiator or whatever else you want to use) should yield low temperatures. On a custom IC setup on a 1g DSM, the engine temp dropped 100 degrees below ambiant. The ice bucket (regular cooler) was also filled with some beer (ya know, 5hp/beer). Unless you want it to clean carbon buildup i was say save you money for a better IC, just my 2c
I can see where you are coming from. I'm doing it just as a precaution. Our little stock turbos will heat up quickly when pushed very hard. I'm looking to make over 300whp with it, so it will be working harder than most.

·
Registered
7,982 Posts
SpecJ said:
And what is the cost per each setup?
Also are you sayin that WI doesnt really work?

·
Registered
711 Posts
cali said:
And what is the cost per each setup?
Also are you sayin that WI doesnt really work?
WI works for so many more reasons than just cooling the temps. Read some of the threads on the Cooling Mist vendor section. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
Just give some of my opinions since I have researched the topic extensivly. I notice some talka bout Air To Water intercoolers.

bell intercoolers sells both Air to water and Air to air so they are pretty unbias. Here is what they say : http://www.bellintercoolers.com/Pages/tech.asp

How can an air-to-air intercooler be more efficient than a water based intercooler?
There is an overwhelming quantity of ambient air available to cool an air-to-air core relative to the charge air thru the inside of the intercooler (The iced down water intercooler is the only exception to this argument.). At just 60 mph, with a 300 bhp engine at full tilt, the ambient air available to cool the intercooler is about ten times the amount of charge air needed to make the 300 hp. Whereas the water intercooler largely stores the heat in the water until off throttle allows a reverse exchange. Some heat is expelled from a front water cooler, but the temperature difference between the water and ambient air is not large enough to drive out much heat. Another way to view the situation is that ultimately the heat removed from the air charge must go into the atmosphere regardless of whether it's from an air intercooler or a water based intercooler. The problem with the water intercooler is that the heat has more barriers to cross to reach the atmosphere than the air intercooler. Like it or not, each barrier represents a resistance to the transfer of heat. The net result; more barriers, less heat transfer.

So I think the real question is Air to Air IC VS Water Injection.

In my opinion if your car came from the factory with a small intercooler you are best to use that intercooler with water injection VS getting an aftermarket intercooler instead of water injection. Water injection will cool the air far better than what an intercooler will and it will clean carbon deposits from the engine.

Get a large front mount intercooler without water injection you will end up with more lag and higher intake temps than if you have the stock intercooler with water injection.

Im a fan of intercoolers, they are reliable and have a place but when it comes to detonation protection nothing is as cost effective as water injection.

I still have my special going on until the 26th on my dual and single stage kits on my SRT forum vendor section if anyone is interested.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts