Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I'm an 18 year old guy from Washington state. I've been planning to buy an SRT-4 for quite some time. I should have enough saved up by the end of this year (October/November/etc). I plan on making a large downpayment ($10,000 or more). My biggest problem is with the insurance companies. I've gone to the websites and gotten free quotes from companies like Progressive and Geico. Unfortunately the results have come back VERY bad. The quoted price is right around $700 or $800 a MONTH. Anyone who knows anything about cars and insurance prices knows that, that kind of monthly payment is MORE than rediculous. The worst part for me is even when I try to quote under my parents plan they still say around $700 or $800. I just don't understand why it's so expensive. Not only that but I've personally talked to a couple other board members who are right around my age or younger who say that they've gotten price quotes of around $150 to $250 under their parents plan. So WHY is mine $800...even under a parents plan? It doesn't make any sense to me. So that's my situation. Now I ask for your help!

What can I do? $800 is NOT right. Why is my insurance quotes so much higher than other people around my age (btw, I have a CLEAN driving record). Does anyone have any ideas on how I could get this price lowered? Also does anyone know of any better insurance companies that are cheaper than Progressive and Geico?

If I can't get the $800 monthly price tag SEVERELY decreased (priced no higher than $300 a month), then sadly to say, I'm not gonna be able to buy the car that I TRULY want to buy. If there's no way to lower the price of insurances, does anyone have any other suggestions for cars that are cheaper than the SRT-4 and that would be much easier on insurance prices? (something fun to drive that's not too bad on gas, etc).

Thanks to anyone who can help me out :D

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
Just curious, but have you tried getting a quote on an ordinary Neon from those same companies ?? At least if you do that you'll know if it's the SRT causing the high rates, or your driving record/age.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Either you did something wrong, or your coverages are set too high (like $0 deductible). Call your current insurance agent, and have them rate it for you under your current coverages. Depending on how WA handles it's insurance (because it will very greatly from state to state), you might have to have it under your parents. Also, see if you can be placed as the primary driver under one of your parents cars and them on yours. Chances are it will be cheaper to insure you under one of their cars. Other options are to set the deductible higher, like $500 or $1000, if you can afford to pay that much should you get into an accident.

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
It's been 10 years since I was 18, but I never paid anything close to that. I think back then my payments were $950 for 6 months through State Farm. I'm 28 now, and I pay $730 / 6 months with one ticket and reported a fender bender that was my fault. My girlfriend has Progressive and a clean record and her rate is higher than mine. All I can suggest is checking other insurance companies and going with a higher deductible. This just means the amount you pay before the Insurance company kicks in their share. For example, you back into a tree and cause $600 damage to your car. If you have a $500 deductible, and you report it, you will end up getting $100 from the insurance company and the rest is out of your pocket and your rates will go up. My advice would be to talk to your families insurance agent about the cheapest legal policy and maybe they can help. I know with State Farm, as long as I was in the same household as my parents, we got a multi-car discount. Maybe Progressive has something like that too. Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
the big thing is like ebb said, when you get quotes on your parents' policy have them rated as the primary on the srt and have you primary on the cheapest car you have thats the big thing. another thing, dont look at progressive and geico, those are insurance companies that exist for people with bad records so of course they're going to be more.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
That's the route I plan on going, thru my parents. Not sure what my monthly rate will be if it's under them, but if I were have my own policy and have average premiums, my monthly statement is like 280 (1 ticket 12/7/02) or so, that was with Allstate. Still pretty bad, but it's much better than $500, which is highly unlikely with the SRT. I also had Geico quote me and my monthly was also high, like around 500. I went to my (my parents) agent and we are currently tryin to find a cheaper rate. If you have any questions, PM me cause I'm in the same situation you are. G/L!

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Are you sure that 800 dollars isn't for 6 months instead of a month? You'd be paying almost 10k a year for insurance, that just doesn't sound right even for someone of your age.

-faast

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sadly it wasn't $800 for 6 months. It was like $6,500 for 6 months (estimated). It ended up being like $700 or $800 a month. I tried doing it again with some of your guys' tips at Progressive and I got it down to about $425 a month ($2,500 for every 6 months). That's still not very good, but it's better, and if my mom was paying like $125 or $150 that would bring it down to $300 or less that I would have to pay. But I'd still like to get a quote cheaper than that.

Does anybody know anymore insurance companies that give off free quotes online? (besides Geico and Progressive). If you could list the ones you know of, that would be a lot of help.

Thanks a lot guys.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
9 Participants
SpitterGuy
Dodge SRT Forum
The community to discuss high-performance Dodge vehicles from the SRT and PVO groups, SRT-4, SRT-6, SRT-8, and SRT-10. Come join the fun!
Full Forum Listing