Dodge SRT Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
I have tried lots of weights over the years owning these cars. I was running 0w-40 the most. I ran 5w-40 for a bit too. But all in all its a factory motor and was designed for 5w-30 and 10w-30. I currently have been running 5w-30. I change the oil once a year. Only put like 2500 miles on it last year :( Mobil 1 that is. Not Mobile 1 LOL

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
We used to do it with conventional oil in 80s and early 90s cars. That being said, I'd also be worried about oil travel to places like the turbo and oil cooler. I don't know if it ever trickled down to the SRT4, but I know the SRT8 models actually started recommending a 0W40 oil around 2008 (if my memory serves me correctly), and one of the dealerships in California was trying to tell me I needed to buy it. At that time the 0 weight was like twice as expensive, and I wasn't exactly rolling in money so I declined and changed my own oil with the 5W30
i had one of those 80's turbo dodge.. and think they required a different designation on the oil... cd instead of cc .. if i recall that was used in diesels
that car lasted 180k with the stock turbo.. a great car..

Reactions: lilviper

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
I run Mobil 1 0W-40 since 2004 and 6K miles.
The PVO aka SRT guys (Ethan, Doc, Unique Twin et al)
ran it in the Extreme Light Weight (ELW) factory car.
No complaint from me about it.

A veritible googleplex of discussions here about what oil to run LOL.
Same here. I bought mine new in Sept. 2003, and it's never had anything but Mobil 1 0W-40 in it. (Except that I ran 15W-50 a couple of times on track days.) I have about 240K miles on it now, and am still daily driving it.

Reactions: Simon.Starkie

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
i'm and og too.. 270k on mine.. rebuilt at 123k (burnt valve).. during my covid free time i did a refresh, rings & rod bearings.. i sent the bearings king for analysis.. with 140k there were still in spec.. oil & filter changed every 5k works .. high mileage (zinc) walmart synthetic 10w30 and "large" fram extra guard .. fwiw dyno'd 500.. rev limit 7k, plus some track events each year
i'm building a new motor for a mostly track car, 750ish, and that will run 10w40...
those youtubers that cut the filter and count filter pleats doesn't make sense to me, because its not measuring its filtering ability
i'm sure there are better oils but walmart works.. try googling "walmart oil" is made at the warren plant in tx.. same as many big name brands

·
Premium Member
4,870 Posts
i'm sure there are better oils but walmart works.. try googling "walmart oil" is made at the warren plant in tx.. same as many big name brands
I've been running the amazon prime oil in my truck for a while now. People hate on these off name brand oils, but its funny because any sort of critical thinking would tell you that walmart and amazon are not making these oils. They are being made in the same plants as other branded oils. independent testing has proven they are just as good too.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I've been running the amazon prime oil in my truck for a while now. People hate on these off name brand oils, but its funny because any sort of critical thinking would tell you that walmart and amazon are not making these oils. They are being made in the same plants as other branded oils. independent testing has proven they are just as good too.
lol, duh.. I wonder who makes Amazon Prime oil?

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
.....not recommend for turbo cars? i wonder why..

·
Registered
56 Posts
Random YouTube Guy does cool tests to compare oil. He appears to rank it pretty well (not the most scientific tests, but way better than I would ever do). As for not being safe for turbo cars, it's probably related to it also not being European certified. There are higher standards in Europe and Mobil 1 0W40 proudly boasts to meet them. Something to do with some additives.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Random YouTube Guy does cool tests to compare oil. He appears to rank it pretty well (not the most scientific tests, but way better than I would ever do). As for not being safe for turbo cars, it's probably related to it also not being European certified. There are higher standards in Europe and Mobil 1 0W40 proudly boasts to meet them. Something to do with some additives.

ok. I was wondering if its the heat rating of the oil. Europe has some strange laws. lol

21 - 30 of 30 Posts