Votes: 2 3.4%
  • Other (please specify below)

Votes: 7 12.1%
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, I am in love with the nex-o px5 rims. However, wheelmax.com is the only company that distributes them. So, I am wondering which tire is the best bang-for-the-buck from Wheelmax.com.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE fill in the poll, and try to back up your choice with any hard data you can find. THANKS!

EDIT: These will be for SUMMER ONLY! I have a great set of snowies that I use for winter, so keep that in mind. I do not want to sacrifice summer wet/dry performance for mediochre (sp?) all-season performance.

Also, with the Nex-o PX5, 18x7.5 35mm offset, I've read that 225 and 235 max widths are safe. Which is it? Can I go 235?

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kustomatix said:
Toyo Proxes 4, hands down.
then vote for them LOL! Or did you vote for hte proxes-FZ4 by accident?

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Kustomatix said:
Yeah, I voted the wrong ones by acident. Dont count that vote;)
so are they more of an all-season tire? or a 3 season tire? (Proxes 4)

·
Administrator
39,215 Posts
they are very much an all season tire, noticeable tradeoff in dry traction for some snow traction.

Kumho ECSTA Supra 712 for $109 is the best bang for the buck, but all of the prices seem a little high.

·
Registered
263 Posts
i put the Avon Tec M500's on and love em...of course i switched from the KDw's

they were only 98 a tire and have alot better traction than the KDW's. also turn in response was alot better and road noise is down. and at speed the car feels more stable and because of the softer tread the ride quality also improved. however treadware rating is only 160 compared to the KDW 2's 300...still worth it IMO. Avon is a european tire company and i belive Aston martin uses their tires on some of their vehicles

·
Administrator
39,215 Posts
NJsrt4 said:
i put the Avon Tec M500's on and love em...of course i switched from the KDw's

they were only 98 a tire and have alot better traction than the KDW's. also turn in response was alot better and road noise is down. and at speed the car feels more stable and because of the softer tread the ride quality also improved. however treadware rating is only 160 compared to the KDW 2's 300...still worth it IMO. Avon is a european tire company and i belive Aston martin uses their tires on some of their vehicles
tread wear is 280, not 160. They are great tires, though.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
stowaway said:
they are very much an all season tire, noticeable tradeoff in dry traction for some snow traction.

Kumho ECSTA Supra 712 for $109 is the best bang for the buck, but all of the prices seem a little high.
I love getting your replies. You read the original posts, then post a cut-and-dry answer. You rock! :rockondud

Thanks!

·
Registered
263 Posts
stowaway said:
tread wear is 280, not 160. They are great tires, though.
hmm really? well even better then...now i'll have to look at the tire and make sure

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
stowaway said:

Hmm any idea why the 235 width is $140 per tire??!! WTF!? $109 to $140??

EDIT: sorry, I was comparing 235/40/18 to a 225/40/18.

·
Registered
7,738 Posts
stowaway said:
Kumho ECSTA Supra 712 for $109 is the best bang for the buck
gotta dissagree, had them on the front of my srt and they were kinda shitty

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
all_bran said:
Hmm any idea why the 235 width is $140 per tire??!! WTF!? $109 to $140??

EDIT: sorry, I was comparing 235/40/18 to a 225/40/18.
Odd size, not too many buyers. If people are putting 235's on their ACR (16x7) I don't see why you couldn't safely put 245 on.

·
Administrator
39,215 Posts
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compa...&model=&sortCode=&sortValue=0&performance=UHP

tirerack prices:
Kumho Ecsta 711 is $77
Kumho Ecsta 712 is $83
Kumho Ecsta SPT is $86
General Exclaim UHP is $86
BFGoodrich g-Force Sport is $115
Avon Tech M500 is $122
Firestone Firehawk Wide Oval is $129

Yokohama AVS ES100 is $129
Yokohama Parada Spec-2 is $153
Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 is $182

Discount tire direct prices:
Nankang NS-II is $91
Kumho Ecsta SPT is $95
Hankook Radial K106 is $100
Hankook Ventus HRII H405 is $103
Hankook Ventus Sport K104 is $115
Yokohama AVS ES100 is $144
Yokohama Parada Spec-2 is $159
Yokohama AVS Sport is $188
All of these are 225/40-18 for easy comparison.

Looking at these prices compared to what you were quoted, it would be worthwhile to check and see if you can order the tires elsewhere, remember discount tire direct has free shipping, and tirerack shipping is pretty darn reasonable, and then get a buddy to mount them for cheap. I've bolded my choice for good grip for good price. The SPT is a better tire than the 712s, but the price difference is minimal, see if you can get those from wheelmax for near the price listed on tirerack or discount tire direct. There will be a somewhat noticeable difference in grip between the SPT and the M500 or the Wide Oval, but is that extra grip worth the extra $40+ per tire? You decide.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Luvin_it said:
gotta dissagree, had them on the front of my srt and they were kinda shitty
What would you recommend instead?

·
Administrator
39,215 Posts
Lazarusresurrexit said:
Odd size, not too many buyers. If people are putting 235's on their ACR (16x7) I don't see why you couldn't safely put 245 on.
shorter sidewall, it is not recommended by any manufacturer or industry testing group to mount a 235/40-18 tire on a 7.5" wide wheel, 225 is the max. With the ACR wheels you can have a taller sidewall and it is easier to get the wider tread tire on the wheel.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
stowaway said:
shorter sidewall, it is not recommended by any manufacturer or industry testing group to mount a 235/40-18 tire on a 7.5" wide wheel, 225 is the max. With the ACR wheels you can have a taller sidewall and it is easier to get the wider tread tire on the wheel.
But that wheel & tire tech thread said 235? See, this is why it's so confusing. is there a black and white document that specifies this? LOL! I doubt it.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
stowaway said:

Looking at these prices compared to what you were quoted, it would be worthwhile to check and see if you can order the tires elsewhere, remember discount tire direct has free shipping, and tirerack shipping is pretty darn reasonable, and then get a buddy to mount them for cheap. I've bolded my choice for good grip for good price. The SPT is a better tire than the 712s, but the price difference is minimal, see if you can get those from wheelmax for near the price listed on tirerack or discount tire direct. There will be a somewhat noticeable difference in grip between the SPT and the M500 or the Wide Oval, but is that extra grip worth the extra $40+ per tire? You decide.
Uh, I don't have anybody that can mount/balance a tire for me :D That's why I'm trying to stick with wheelmax. Sidenote: How much would mount & balance be if I took it to discount tire and asked them to cut me a deal? (I'm a good customer to them)

That's an awesome list. Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
stowaway said:

How noticable of a difference for SPTs vs firestones or avons? I'm assuming the Kuhmo SPTs are going to be 95% better than stock (in 225), for another 5%... I don't think it's worth $40/tire... Or is it more than a 5% increase between them?

1 - 20 of 55 Posts