Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Your alt. belt might be slipping so bad that the alternator isn't charging all the way and thats why your light is on. Check the tightness of the alternator belt and go from there. The alternator could also be seized causing the belt to slip on the pulley. Check for cracks or shredding of the belt. Let us know what you find out.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Alternator belt requires re-tensioning after 50k miles or so. Its about a 10minute job to do. Unless its reallly old you shouldnt need to replace it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Did you end up finding the problem? I ran into the same issue this weekend, car usually squeals during the rain. Was driving, squealed, lights dimmed along with gauge cluster and the battery light came on. Let the car sit two days to dry out, lights off and the one of the pulleys or the belt is squealing still. Thinking something with the alt because about 15 seconds after I shut the car off I can hear the alt clink.

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
Did you end up finding the problem? I ran into the same issue this weekend, car usually squeals during the rain. Was driving, squealed, lights dimmed along with gauge cluster and the battery light came on. Let the car sit two days to dry out, lights off and the one of the pulleys or the belt is squealing still. Thinking something with the alt because about 15 seconds after I shut the car off I can hear the alt clink.
Sounds like a loose belt to me.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I'd try tensioning the belt first.
If it still squeals in the dry conditions, it could be the Alternator bearings...

·
Registered
186 Posts
i had this same problem different car though, it was cause due to the alternator didnt realize till the belt ripped

·
Registered
316 Posts
Your alt. belt might be slipping so bad that the alternator isn't charging all the way and thats why your light is on. Check the tightness of the alternator belt and go from there. The alternator could also be seized causing the belt to slip on the pulley. Check for cracks or shredding of the belt. Let us know what you find out.
This +1 , ive had this problem with previous cars and thats what was happening, check this for sure

1 - 11 of 11 Posts