Dodge SRT Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I was driving from work, I passed a car that was terribly slow. So punched the gas and as I'm driving by, I hear some sort of sparks. Right away I knew something was wrong. Then 3 sec. later my battery light pop up. I do about 10miles then my ABS light turns on and my radio shut off. I barely made it home. One thing that I'm sure, my battery is dying. Now is it the battery or the alternator? I know the stock battery sucks, is there a way to quickly check if it's the alternator or the battery?

Thanks for any help.

Jonathan

·
Registered
171 Posts
if you have a multimeter set on dc the battery should put out 12 and change with car on should say like 14 and change if its lower then that the alternator is bad (red lead to positive side of battery and black negative to a ground on the car)

·
Registered
67 Posts
www.srtfanz.com said:
I just try to start it, it doesn't start anymore. It's got the be the battery. It make a weird crackling sound when ever I try to power it up.
It's the battery. Same thing happened to me, the stock battery sucks.

·
Forum Moderator
5,231 Posts
easiest way to test this is to start the car (assuming you still can) and remove your positive + wire from your battery. If the car keeps running then you have a bad battery, if the car dies then your alt is gone.

I would definitely still use a multimeter to see what voltage your alt is throwing to your battery, but the above is a primitive way of getting a quick answer.

·
Registered
56 Posts
easiest way to test this is to start the car (assuming you still can) and remove your positive + wire from your battery. If the car keeps running then you have a bad battery, if the car dies then your alt is gone.

I would definitely still use a multimeter to see what voltage your alt is throwing to your battery, but the above is a primitive way of getting a quick answer.
I agree. I would check your altenator completely before putting in a new battery. I had an altenator cause two batteries to fail in my old Ranger. A costly mistake when you figure that AutoZone will test your altenator for free

·
Registered
89 Posts
needmaboost said:
Theres one I have never heard before the stock battery sucks. lol
Maybe he doesn't have his battery temp sensor hooked up. lol

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
shoggy said:
needmaboost said:
Theres one I have never heard before the stock battery sucks. lol
Maybe he doesn't have his battery temp sensor hooked up. lol
$80.00 for new battery
$20.00 for new alternator belt.

Thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts