Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes this topic has been beatin' to death. But I noticed in the how-to people go off tangent talking about removal of the whole assembly. I do not want to do that. I just want to cut the chain. Main reason why I am doing this:

My car is on jackstands right now due to my AGP journal bearing turbo taking a dump. It is in the hands of Art Gennari Turbo in PA right now. The rear journal is bad. So that is currently getting rebuilt along with a new exhaust wheel. Well since the charge pipe is off I thought I would do the oil pan gasket. And since the oil pan is off I thought might as well cut the balance chain. :) I am at 380whp so I thought might as well. I have the cover off of it now. Is this the correct diagram to follow to cut the chain?

My friend who had his motor out cut the chain and he said to remove the guide on the right first. Cut the chain and then remove what is says in the diagram. Is that correct? I just want to do it in the correct order and be super careful. I noticed a pink o-ring on the oil pickup tube. So I have a new Mopar one on the way.

Should I leave the chain on there?

Here is me fingering my chain looking for play haha.

Also my buddy said when I reinstall the oil pickup tube (200 inch lbs) to use red loctite on that one 13 mm bolt due to the extra vibration and that is something you don't want to rattle loose.

Any input would be great!

·
Premium Member
3,315 Posts
Its been so many years since i cut mine, i dont remember the exact order in which i accomplished the task. I think between that how-to and your buddy, you shouldnt have any issues. Also, i agree with you leaving the assembly in place, unless you were building the bottom end (adding windage tray/crank scraper, etc.). I ran that way for years before i built my bottom end and pulled the whole assembly out.

i may be wrong, but that seems like an awful lot of play in that chain. I would be removing it too!

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its been so many years since i cut mine, i dont remember the exact order in which i accomplished the task. I think between that how-to and your buddy, you shouldnt have any issues. Also, i agree with you leaving the assembly in place, unless you were building the bottom end (adding windage tray/crank scraper, etc.). I ran that way for years before i built my bottom end and pulled the whole assembly out.

i may be wrong, but that seems like an awful lot of play in that chain. I would be removing it too!
Oh for sure I am not messing with taking the whole assembly out. I finished that 28 page "how-to" thread and there is soo much nonsense in there. People talking about blocking an oil feed hole. but those were the guys that removed the entire assembly. I am just cutting the chain.

this tool should be good enough? https://www.harborfreight.com/hand-tools/saws-cutting-tools/bolt-cutters/18-in-bolt-cutters-60683.html

They have 12'' bolt cutters too, but I think they might be too small? That chain is pretty small. Reminds me of a chain for a pedal bike.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
3 Participants
gump1114
Dodge SRT Forum
The community to discuss high-performance Dodge vehicles from the SRT and PVO groups, SRT-4, SRT-6, SRT-8, and SRT-10. Come join the fun!
Full Forum Listing