Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm very interested in an srt-4 i have been able to find locally. First glance it seemed like an absolute steal. Upon closer inspection i'm wondering if it's a problem car I should steer away from? Give me your input on this.. thanks

2005 Neon SRT-4
56,000 all original miles (seems crazy right?)
$4,500 asking price, already negotiated to at LEAST 4,000
KBB for this car in good condition sits around 7,000
It's a private party, guy has 3 other vehicles, could be reason for quicksale..
Interior completely flawless, exterior; few minor dings and dents nothing seems major
There was front end work, all he could tell me was that the bumper was replaced, and no other components were damaged. The headlights dont fit quite right because of the aftermarket fiberglass bumper that's got weird fitment, driver door also rubs when you open on the quarter panel from the same problem
No rust at all, looks completely garage kept as claimed to be since he got the car in "2009" (I found maintenance receipts and title renewer from previous owner in 2011, seemed fishy, mentioned it and he apparently just forgot the date..)
Has no maintenance records for 30k after he bought it
Tires are rotted all around, sitting on semi-clean but inexpensive aftermarket wheels
Rotors look old, rusted, owner claims pads were done not a year ago, no way were the rotors even worked or changed at the same time
Has aftermarket intake and 2 1/2 back exhaust,
Powersteering fluid needs immediate change, asked if he every did a break flush or bleed and says no so im guessing that needs to be done,
diff fluid should be done around 50k and he hasn't

I had my friend come take a look with his computer system that works basically as a scanner he can pull up cleared codes etc... he tells me that it's not throwing anything but there's errors/warning for low ABS voltage and some sort of purge valve error... he tells me these could potentially be major if the ABS would have to be reworked completely... but low voltage doesn't mean failure? what about dirty sensors? Can anyone comment on the purge valve? He also said there was some fluid leaking underneath but we went at night time he couldn't tell what it was really..
He test drove it for me and said there was a little play in the gearbox getting into reverse and it had a slight pull to the wheel, possibly tire pressure since they're old as hell or just alignment/suspension issues... car sounds and looks really well, runs pretty nice just worried that there could be the start of a head leak or something.. why would this guy be selling this car so cheap? Can anyone steer me in the right direction.. I don't have a problem getting tires and i've done breaks myself previously... Just worried about major mechanical issues but nothing seems readily apparent

·
Registered
268 Posts
Man I'm no mechanic, and it's early for me to absorb all the details you wrote. But that seems cheap... be it he needs money or there is something wrong. I'm sure members with more knowledge will chime in. I'm just a grunt lol

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Man I'm no mechanic, and it's early for me to absorb all the details you wrote. But that seems cheap... be it he needs money or there is something wrong. I'm sure members with more knowledge will chime in. I'm just a grunt lol
That was my initial thought and reason to jump on it.. it's been for sale for the better part of 6months im pretty sure. He's got 2 trucks though and multiple trailers and a challenger RT he just got which he claims to be the reason for the sale

·
Registered
48 Posts
imo the money your under book value wont be a waste if you have to fix a few things. that is if youre good with putting the money and time into it

1 - 4 of 4 Posts