Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
5,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many miles did eveyone break their motor in for before you really got on it. I was just wondering. The owners manual says only 300 miles needed for the break in. That seems really short. Just wanted to see how many miles I should put on the car before I really get on it. Thanks!!

Ryan

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
well thats bs considering a clutches break in alone is 5000 miles..... So i would go for at least 5000 miles it's not worth any risks.

·
Registered
49 Posts
A clutch is broke in by 500 miles unless you knock the glaze off prior to install. We took our drag car to the track with a brand new CM stage 3 clutch and instantly raised hell. It's still going strong with no problems.

John Moorman

·
Registered
726 Posts
I did at least 600 miles before really raising the RPM's, but I think I treated it gingerly until at least 1000 or so. Other than a replaced tire everything seems to be in order.

·
Registered
12,124 Posts

600 miles of absolute babying, another 400 or so of regular use + some highway full-throttle runs, and now 300 miles of LOOK OUT! :lol:

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
oh yeah duh!, 500 miles for clutch. I'm going to break mine in for 1000 miles though.

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
I basicly babied it for about 700 miles with a quick stop at the race track at 400+ miles. :wink: @ 2700 it is going strong :twisted:

·
Super Moderator
6,317 Posts
a little boost on the test drive, a little more @400, a lot more @ 500, it was all over @ 600. :twisted:

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
LOL. Did someone say 5000 miles? Whoa. That'll just take me like 6 months.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Nice quote RU.....

Did that break-in period seem to work good for you? Man, I'd be over 600 miles real quick! :D

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
Has anyone that has replied to this subject rebuilt a motor?

500 miles should be good, it does have some to do with the clutch (because it is also new), but mainly for the engine internals (bearings, cam journals, crank journals, oil pump etc....) to properly break in.

And yes I have rebuilt water and air cooled engines (not trying to be smart ass) :lol: Just wanted to clear up any confusion.

Everyone have a boosting good time!!!!!!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Sorry but i only waited till i had 1000miles before i really started flooring th car. 5000 is just a tad bit high, especially for those who are inpatient and start racing the moment they leave the lot with the new car.

·
Super Moderator
6,317 Posts
Re:

Wade said:
Nice quote RU.....
Unfortunately, it's the truth. :cry:

Wade said:
Did that break-in period seem to work good for you? Man, I'd be over 600 miles real quick! :D
I guess I won't know until I dyno it, but it feels fine to me.

I've never properly broke a car in but I did this time for some reason. Probably peer pressure. :lol:

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Newbie breakin in...

Hi eveyone! Glad I can be part of the forums now. I unfortunately don't have the SRT yet but am leaning towards heading down to FL to get one (I live in PA). My question is, is driving back North (about 1k miles) bad for the new engine? Are there any precautions I should take? Anything special I should do? Etc.

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
Best thing you can do taking one back up north is to follow the owners manual reccomendations as close as possible. You really can't go wrong following the manufacturers procedures (even though they are usually very conservative).

BTW, mine hit the Dyno at 800, follwed by a day at the track. I've got over 3300 now with no ill effects.. I did follow the owners manual break in for the first 300, and then fairly easy for about 200 more.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
RaptorRed said:
You really can't go wrong following the manufacturers procedures (even though they are usually very conservative).
Raptor, just out of curiosity, what are the recommended manufacturers procedures?

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
Direct quote from the owners manual:

Engine break-in Recommendations

The engine in your new vehicle does not require a long break-in period.

Drive moderately during the first 300 miles (500 km). After the initial 60 miles (100 km), speeds up to 50 or 55 mph (80 or 90 km/h) are desirable.

While cruising, brief full-throttle acceleration, within the limits of local traffic laws, contributes to a good break-in.

Wide open throttle acceleration in low gear can be detrimental and should be avoided.

The crankcase oil installed in the engine at the factory is a high quality energy conserving type lubricant. Oil changes should be consistent with expected climate conditions under which vehicle operations will occur. The recommended viscosity and quality grades are in Section 7 of this manual.*

Do not use non-detergent or straight mineral oils.

A new engine may consume some oil during its first few thousand miles of operation. This is a normal part of the break-in and not an indication of a problem.

*Quote from section 7 regarding oil:

The manufacturer recommends the use of Mobil 1 10W30 synthetic engine oil.

I changed my oil and filter at 1000 miles the first time, and will follow the 3000 mile oil change schedule listed in owners manual.

Hope this helps :D

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Solves the curiousity itch. Thanks Raptor. I am talking with some dealers now about pricing. Looking to get in one by the end of the month. Only time will tell from here...

·
Registered
145 Posts
Engine break-in period for most engines is 300 miles, with std. cast iron rings; 500 for chrome moly to get fully seated. A clutch needs 450 to 500 to seat correctly. So for you lets go and race newbees, you got to hold your load. And clutch millage is stop and go, not highway miles. Let them imports gauk and wonder. Then show them what you have when it's time.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts