Dodge SRT Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys my car is on the lift at a do it yourself garage right now and we can't figure out how to get at the bolts on the turbo side of the o2 housing. We removed all the mounting bolts for the lower heat shield but there is a support bar for the turbo that keeps it from being removed entirely. Anyone have any quick tips for me? The garage is going to close soon and my car is in pieces :buah:
Tim

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
move it over where? all I can seem to do is move it up and down maybe 2 inches with that support bar in there.

What'd you use to get at the bolts? a 30" extension with a u-joint? did you get them off from the top or the bottom of the car?

·
Registered
405 Posts
your going to have to remove that black bracket. I think I used around a 20" extension. You might also want to talk to Scott of maxxfab. He is a vendor hear, and I'm sure if you ask him, he can e-mail you the instructions that he gives to people who buy his O2 housings.

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
You gonna have to remove the black diagonal brace, then you can move the heat shield around to get to all the bolts. A 15 mm wratcheting wrench works great for removing the upper bolt in the diagonal brace.

Drivers side bolt removal:

Move the heat shield around so the hole in the heat shield (where the upper end of the diagonal brace was attached to the manifold) is as close to the 13mm bolt./nut as possible. Now you should be able to get to it with a 13mm wratcheting wrench.

Passenger side bolt:

Can be reached from above the car, pass side. Move the heat shield and you should be able to get a wrench on it. You should also be able to get at it from under the car with a long extension.

Other bolts:

Can be reached with a long extension.

A 1/4 inch drive socket set with a long wobble extension works great.

Hope that helps and good luck.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I managed to get all 4 of the o2 housing nuts off, and found the hidden 5th one on the bottom side connecting it to a support for some reason. I tried to remove that diagonal support but couldn't get enough leverage to loosen the nut. Once I got all the nuts off the o2 housing it would rattle around a little bit, but for the life of me I couldn't get it off. It would get stuck, and I could push it back on and it would rattle around again. The shop closed so I had to hook up the cat piece again and drive 1/4 mile back home with no nuts holding the o2 housing on. Had a nice paper sounding rattle to it. Needless to say my lower heat shield is mangled to all hell and back. When I get that diagonal support off I'm going to take it out for good. I'm seriously considering ordering the T3/T4 Turbonetics kit this week.

3 of the o2 housing nuts came off, but the 4th came out with the bolt. This was the driver's side upper one. It didn't look like the bolt broke, but was made that way. I can't figure out what the housing is catching on. My friend thought it might be the gasket was stuck but it moved way too much to be that. Any ideas?

As for now my car is pretty much parked for good until I get the new housing on, or put the nuts back on the old one.

Tim

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
That 5th bolt is probably the bolt that attaches to a "Y" bracket that bolts to the O2 housing at one location, and the engine block at 2 other locations. If that's the case, you have to remove that bracket also, then the O2 housing should come right out.

Hope your not offended with this next statement, but this is why the MAXX Fab housing includes instructions. It has a reccomended list of tools and tells step by step on how to remove/install it. I remember what it was like the first time I did it, so I wanted to make sure the poeple who bought MAXX Fab stuff wouldn't have to go through so much of a learning curve.

·
Banned
3,210 Posts
scottmech said:
That 5th bolt is probably the bolt that attaches to a "Y" bracket that bolts to the O2 housing at one location, and the engine block at 2 other locations. If that's the case, you have to remove that bracket also, then the O2 housing should come right out.

Hope your not offended with this next statement, but this is why the MAXX Fab housing includes instructions. It has a reccomended list of tools and tells step by step on how to remove/install it. I remember what it was like the first time I did it, so I wanted to make sure the poeple who bought MAXX Fab stuff wouldn't have to go through so much of a learning curve.
:werd: we did one today and it is a PIA!!

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
the bolt on the bracket is welded on the pass side! You must take the bolt out from the driver side! Remove the DP and then get under neath and remove the other bolts with a supper long extension- it helps to have someone on top of the car to guide you on to the bolt- Just did my 02 housing tonight (after messing with it for about 1 hour last night and another 4 tonigh) so if you need some better instructions or ideas Brad

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.