Dodge SRT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,345 Posts
There is at least one vendor on EBAY who is selling a factory radio that he installs a jack on the front for plugging in a 3.5mm (1/8th) double ended jack line from your phone to the radio.

He says there are issues however if you have the 6 disc cd changer radio (RBQ):

Please Note: If you are downgrading from the CD cassette RBP, 6 Disc RBQ or navigation RB1 radio you may run into a few problems such as the radio display not working correctly, intermittent sound problems, scrambled text, and even the CD player not functioning correctly.
Be aware also obviously that this is not going to work well with any Apple product that doesn't have any jacks.

I haven't ever pulled the trigger on this purchase, I'm trying to keep the car looking factory though, and if I decide to go through with this, I might just disconnect the 6 disc changer and leave it in the car so it appears stock, and probably never use the cd player in the radio itself or the CD changer ever again. They have been skipping and glitching now for the last few years anyway as the car has gotten older.

There are other options obviously, in terms of installing a new radio, and there are some really nice radios now available that aren't all that expensive. It is brought up from time to time in the tech thread in off topic. I don't know how those work as far as the Kicker system, if you have the upgraded factory radio (with subwoofer) in the car.

Others will be able to chime in here and give opinions too. I haven't made any changes to my factory system as of yet, likely will look into it this winter.

·
Super Moderator
16,345 Posts

Apparently they are adding bluetooth into factory radios too but I can't say anything good or bad about this, no clue if it works well or not. This would be far more appealing if it were a good item, obviously no cords and would (you would think) work with apple.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts

Apparently they are adding bluetooth into factory radios too but I can't say anything good or bad about this, no clue if it works well or not. This would be far more appealing if it were a good item, obviously no cords and would (you would think) work with apple.
I don't have apple, but the charging/ 3.5mm adapter cords work for Android.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
35,042 Posts

Wow that's cool as hell!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There is at least one vendor on EBAY who is selling a factory radio that he installs a jack on the front for plugging in a 3.5mm (1/8th) double ended jack line from your phone to the radio.

He says there are issues however if you have the 6 disc cd changer radio (RBQ):

Be aware also obviously that this is not going to work well with any Apple product that doesn't have any jacks.

I haven't ever pulled the trigger on this purchase, I'm trying to keep the car looking factory though, and if I decide to go through with this, I might just disconnect the 6 disc changer and leave it in the car so it appears stock, and probably never use the cd player in the radio itself or the CD changer ever again. They have been skipping and glitching now for the last few years anyway as the car has gotten older.

There are other options obviously, in terms of installing a new radio, and there are some really nice radios now available that aren't all that expensive. It is brought up from time to time in the tech thread in off topic. I don't know how those work as far as the Kicker system, if you have the upgraded factory radio (with subwoofer) in the car.

Others will be able to chime in here and give opinions too. I haven't made any changes to my factory system as of yet, likely will look into it this winter.
Alright thanks shadow I’ll keep researching but I’ll probably just keep it simple

·
Super Moderator
35,042 Posts
Who was it that just put the ipad like thing from china in their car? Someone from PA.
I have something similar to that in my neon but I put it in years ago. Bzzt also put one in his Mazda

·
Super Moderator
35,042 Posts
Honestly I'm not sure what op is asking for here.

How to do it? Buy a stereo that supports it and install it.

How does it work? The same as Android auto works in every car

The other option is a head unit like bzzt and I have, where you're not using Android auto, but rather full Android, which opens up more options like using the torque app , which you can't use in Android auto. Of course, going this route the apps may not have a great interface for car use whereas with Android auto the interfaces are very specifically optimized

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

The other option is a head unit like bzzt and I have, where you're not using Android auto, but rather full Android, which opens up more options like using the torque app , which you can't use in Android auto. Of course, going this route the apps may not have a great interface for car use whereas with Android auto the interfaces are very specifically optimized

Yea I should’ve been a little more detailed but I just wanted to know if it’s a good experience making the double bin and installing the hu

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Yea I should’ve been a little more detailed but I just wanted to know if it’s a good experience making the double bin and installing the hu
OH, lol yeah its not hard at all. Heres some pics of a car i did not that long ago.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,325 Posts

I thought it was you.. Sorry buddy.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
OH, lol yeah its not hard at all. Heres some pics of a car i did not that long ago.
Yea that’s what I was trying to see lol I was just wondering since I felt like it’ll look weird and maybe not work but is that the nakamichi head you were talking about?

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Yea that’s what I was trying to see lol I was just wondering since I felt like it’ll look weird and maybe not work but is that the nakamichi head you were talking about?
Its a single DIN radio i bought in hongkong in 08 They were top shelf years ago.. i have a hk adapter that uses the line in for ipod control as a source.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 31 Posts