Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just curious if anyone has tried this turbo with our car?

It doesn't make big useless power and has lightening quick spool up.

Andrew

·
Registered
445 Posts
Asutherl said:
I'm just curious if anyone has tried this turbo with our car?

It doesn't make big useless power and has lightening quick spool up.

Andrew
I have never heard of anyone using one, I think most people looking for that kind of spool probably just end up going S3R. I really don't know for sure though.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Most people who are looking for fast spool end up going with a GT3071R or a GT3076R. Both spool up nearly as fast but produce more power and have more potential.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
That turbo is to small for the SRT4, it is great for 2.0L or smaller motors however. Get a 16G, 3071R,3076R, DBB50trim, etc they all have great spool and can all hit good HP numbers.

·
Registered
6,698 Posts
yeah but saying you have a disco potato on your car is great.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
MikeCandler said:
That turbo is to small for the SRT4, it is great for 2.0L or smaller motors however. Get a 16G, 3071R,3076R, DBB50trim, etc they all have great spool and can all hit good HP numbers.
Yeah...I'm not looking to make over 300hp....anything over that in the dirt just causes excessive wheel spin up to 80mph!

·
Registered
5,850 Posts
Asutherl said:
Yeah...I'm not looking to make over 300hp....anything over that in the dirt just causes excessive wheel spin up to 80mph!

it would all have to depend on your application.. you want small and quick then that is your turbo.. but for most of the guys on here they like the 300+ mark.. (and if they say different they are just speaking from their wallets)

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
Asutherl said:

if you don't want over 300hp why not stick with the stocker and just mod up?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
04electricblue said:
if you don't want over 300hp why not stick with the stocker and just mod up?
I would assume a turbo with better flow (gt28), even though it's capped off at a certain PSI, would pull harder and drive better than a turbo with less flow (stock) that is being overworked?

It's not really about tuning at the edge...it's about making consistent safe power for over 20 minutes at a time!

·
Registered
6,698 Posts
Asutherl said:
I would assume a turbo with better flow (gt28), even though it's capped off at a certain PSI, would pull harder and drive better than a turbo with less flow (stock) that is being overworked?

It's not really about tuning at the edge...it's about making consistent safe power for over 20 minutes at a time!
if you wanna spend an extra 1500-2500 bucks for 35more hp up top then the stocker more power to you. many guys mulitple times over nad over again run low 12s 300whp.

·
Registered
5,850 Posts
well guys its all about application also.. i would rather have a turbo also that would sit consistantly at 300hp and have full range of tq and rpm.. have 300hp in most rpm's means alot in different applications.. rather than have a turbo like our stock one that hits hard then tappers off..... most drift cars change gearing and turbo's to keep them in the rev range used more often... this guy seems to like rally'ing so i take it he has done his homework and is ready to spend that type of money for a reason...

instead of feathering the throttle to get around cause anything more than that you are over doing it (if he had a typical 400-500hp beast).. he would rather have a car where he could mash on the throttle all day have traction and know he has a consistant 300hp..

all about application

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
BACARDI_DWB said:
all about application
Exactly...at 300hp stocker will have a completely different powerband than a 300hp gt28rs..or a 300hp gt3071....or a 300hp anything else!

That's why I was looking for feedback.

It may be easier to go with a 3071.....

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
a gt28 (DP) would suit your application better. a 3071r will also work but it wont be as responsive at the 28...yet close.

·
Registered
7,310 Posts
For someone who's racing and doing more than a quarter mile at a time I'd like to see how well the stock turbo and engine would hold up to the sustained super high EGT's trying to get 300 whp out of a stock snail for extended periods. I think I was looking at the specs and compressor maps of the 28RS before and it looked like it would be a good choice for what you're talking about. If you want to pick up some used turbochargers to play around with, a big 60-trim T3, a hybrid 50 or 57-trim T3/T4 with a small .48 A/R exhaust, or something like a Holset HX30 should have decent spool and power curves at around that power level. I'm guessing the power band and power delivery is probably most important to you while the majority of people just upgrade for big numbers and future potential.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
turboweasel24 said:
but with the gt28 u would still spin threw first and second and on dirt maybe 3rd right?
Well yeah....I get wheel spin at 80+mph on a stock turbo! On tight and twisty races my tires are spinning almost the entire time...it's how I use the power. Tires and road surface make a huge difference. There is such a thing as too much power....I'd rather drive the car at it's limit than at 70% of it's potential.

Thanks guys for all of your input! It looks like no one makes a manifold to use the DP on our cars....I guess I could have my fab guy make me one.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts