Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone has been running .035" spark plug gaps for a while ?. I'm trying to get more life out of my plugs they dont seen to last much more than 6,000 miles before they start to crap out on me. I've tried running stock gap of .051", and .040" to date. I've got a new set of NGK plugs coming in and been thinking of taking them down lower to maybe .035". Almost any other turbo engine car out there runs gaps around that size, never understood how we get away with such large gaps on the srt-4, or the reasoning behind it. i'd love to hear from anyone running the smaller gap to see how the car's running on them ?. thanks

·
Registered
769 Posts
Hey J-

Going to .035 is a must for my car. I have stage 2 and have had good results with a .035 gap. I recently tried to switch in a set of Denso ITV20's which come with a pre-gap of .042. Put em in and for the first time experienced spark blowout...at WOT throttle once boost built up to 15 to 16 lbs the car begun to buck like crazy. Swapped in the ole .035 gapped NGK's and everything went back to to the norm. So yes .035 is good...at least its a must for my car.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
JCert said:
Hey J-

Going to .035 is a must for my car. I have stage 2 and have had good results with a .035 gap. I recently tried to switch in a set of Denso ITV20's which come with a pre-gap of .042. Put em in and for the first time experienced spark blowout...at WOT throttle once boost built up to 15 to 16 lbs the car begun to buck like crazy. Swapped in the ole .035 gapped NGK's and everything went back to to the norm. So yes .035 is good...at least its a must for my car.
thanks very much for the reply, that is what I am trying to avoid is the wot bucking which seems to occur more as the plugs age. I'll give the .035" a try now since it sounds like it might be a good way to go. thanks again :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
I'm running .029 gap on my NGK's and the car seems to like it, but running 20+psi of boost doesn't seem to perform well with the NGK's...just purchased a set of Denso ITV-22's which I'll gap at the same .029(which was recommended by Paisley Raceing)

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I decided to go with .035" gap, all of my wot high gear stumble disappeared, I have to say it runs much smoother at wot in 4th gear and 5th gear. I'm liking this gap better , I ran .040" and .051" previously, but they had much more stumble at wot. Non-boost response seems a bit worse, I guess it's a trade off, the engine likes the larger gap in non-boost form, but once boost is pushed into the engine the smaller gap causes less problems, and you get smoother performance at wot and high gear boost. I think I'm getting less pinging with the smaller gap as well from what I can tell.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
how do u guys feel on recapping NGK's after already having them installed and about 300 miles on them at .50?

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
as long as you know how to adjust gaps properly its not an issue, I adjusted mine many times on the same plugs. Dont be bending the ground electrode back and forth in huge increments, just tighten then down a bit at a time till you get where you want it to be. I know there people on here who swear not to re-gap used plugs but I've done it many times and never had an issue with it. Grab the electrode in the proper location and adjust it in small increments and be gentle, will work fine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts