Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been hearing a lot about the races with WRX's and i've even read that someone said that "the WRX started" the hopped up small car trend. That is completely wrong but anyways, has any of you raced a Mazdaspeed, i know you will win against one stock, but how about modified?

These were the cars that started the "small sports car trend"- MGB-GT, Triumph, Austin Healey, the all mighty Shelby Cobra, and if you want to talk about "family" cars, how about the Nova's of the 60's, they were cheap, light and fast as hell. The WRX didn't start much of anything besides arguments on this board.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,429 Posts
I never saw a MSP here in Wichita until the day I got my car. I saw this orange little car come flying up to me and about 2 carlengths back just sat there...don't know if they were intimadated, or what but they didn't pass me.

What's the difference between the MSP and the MP3 they put out? There's a pretty nice done-up MP3 here in town and it made me wonder...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the MSD is turbocharged and i'm pretty sure thats the only difference. Output is 170 HP at the crank which is pretty poor. They only got 40hp at the crank from adding the turbo. I guess they did nothing to the engines internals so cranking up the boost is not a good idea, plus the tranny can't handle much more power. Although i think its the most attractive small "tuner" car out right now compared to the SRT-4, SpecV, etc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26,203 Posts
ILUVPower said:
I've been hearing a lot about the races with WRX's and i've even read that someone said that "the WRX started" the hopped up small car trend. That is completely wrong but anyways, has any of you raced a Mazdaspeed, i know you will win against one stock, but how about modified?

These were the cars that started the "small sports car trend"- MGB-GT, Triumph, Austin Healey, the all mighty Shelby Cobra, and if you want to talk about "family" cars, how about the Nova's of the 60's, they were cheap, light and fast as hell. The WRX didn't start much of anything besides arguments on this board.
Dude, you must be a BABY BOOMER to know that. Seeing that the cars listed were the ground works for the beginning of street compact sport car.

I wish there was some involvement in the sub-compact arena. I know that the Razor has the green light but that Mitsu is making a 1.3 ltr sub-compact car in 2005.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26,203 Posts
ILUVPower said:
the MSD is turbocharged and i'm pretty sure thats the only difference. Output is 170 HP at the crank which is pretty poor. They only got 40hp at the crank from adding the turbo. I guess they did nothing to the engines internals so cranking up the boost is not a good idea, plus the tranny can't handle much more power. Although i think its the most attractive small "tuner" car out right now compared to the SRT-4, SpecV, etc.
The boost was very little compared to SRT-4 and the intercooler needed to be replaced with a larger one for any peformance gains.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
The MSP wasn't made to be a really fast car. If you look at it its an amazing handling machine. The turbo doesn't add a lot of HP because well its a small turbo for one a T25, and its also geared for lower RPM. It has almost no lag at all. I'd hate to race on in AutoX but on the streets it's not that fast. There suspension is very good though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No i'm actually 21 but love the classics. My friends dad has a MGB-GT, his cousin started (and still runs) FactoryFiveRacing-the kit car cobra company, and my father has been modding cars since he was born basically. Cars run in the family and i've learned through stories from my dad, car shows, and i'm obsessed with TNN (The Nitwit Network) and other car mags. All in all I know the mazda speed is a great handling car, its slalom times are very close to the SRT-4. But are these things really reliable at all for mods? I think if this car was as quick as the SRT-4 it'd be an excellent car. I love the looks and package (stereo, suspension)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,464 Posts
I actually was debating on either the MS/P or the SRT-4 awhile ago. Back in the fall when the MS/P was out, and the SRT-4 wasn't scheduled to come out for awhile, and I just couldn't wait. But more and more talking about the SRT-4 just drew me closer to it, and now I'm only months away. The MS/P is an excellent car, unbelievable suspension, great chassis refinement, handling is amazing, the interior is nice with some sparco hints, a big stereo w/ 8" sub and amp, thing's awesome.

If you're satisfied with getting at the most 250 whp before going into internal work, it's fine. But it's alot easier to upgrade suspension/chassis work on a car like the SRT-4 than than the engine to the MS/P.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,988 Posts
SCC said that the intercooler could use alot of work and different placement in the engine bay. I think it also mentioned the stock exhuast system was far from entirely useful.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,464 Posts
LOL. It fools you by saying it comes with a RACING-BEAT EXHAUST tip. They say the "tip" part very quietly so nobody heard that it's just a tip. Lol.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
oh shit its just the tip? the dealer was telling me its a complete exhaust. I didn't drive it so i didn't hear what it sounds like. I think the reason they left so much to be achieved is because of the reliability factor. How much can the SRT-4 take before redoing the internals? by that i mean like NOS and more boost.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
I personally like this quote from the Mazdaspeed brochure: "a Sparco aluminum gearshift knob designed for short, quick and positive shifts." Wow, and all this time I thought that was accomplished by aftermarket shifters like Hurst, Pro 5.0, Steeda, etc. I guess I've been wasting my money, should've gotten the shift knob all along! :lol:

And no, the brochure lists it as a stainless steel exhaust system, not just a tip.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So is it actaully the full exhaust or just a tip? I getting confoosed :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
ILUVPower said:
So is it actaully the full exhaust or just a tip? I getting confoosed :lol:
Again, the brochure (which you can view in PDF format on their website) says exhaust. :wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,731 Posts
It might be a SS exaust, but it is the exaust from the non-turbo MP3, so it is very restrictive. Check out the Sport Compact Car under 20k shootout again. They said it handled great, but needed exaust, and bigger inercooler.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,919 Posts
ILUVPower said:
oh shit its just the tip? the dealer was telling me its a complete exhaust. I didn't drive it so i didn't hear what it sounds like. I think the reason they left so much to be achieved is because of the reliability factor. How much can the SRT-4 take before redoing the internals? by that i mean like NOS and more boost.
Well, Phatridez is getting 825hp with the stock block, bearings and crank. Different pistons, and rods, the head is ported, but has stock seals, MP rockers, etc. Check out Mopar Now, its got a great write up. 10,000 rpm redline too, thats impressive for a long stroke motor.
 
1 - 20 of 76 Posts
About this Discussion
75 Replies
35 Participants
uno
Dodge SRT Forum
The community to discuss high-performance Dodge vehicles from the SRT and PVO groups, SRT-4, SRT-6, SRT-8, and SRT-10. Come join the fun!
Full Forum Listing
Top