Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am 20 years old...in college, not making a lot money....transfering to an expensive private school in the fall...I will have to take out a loan for the SRT-4 (about $8k), and insurance will most likely kill me. I probably shouldnt get this car, but i'm going to anyway...hahaha :twisted: Anyone else getting this car even though they probably shouldnt?

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Good Luck. I'm in college right now, I gotta a little bit of money but by no means a positive cash flow. Damn you know what, I need to get a job.

-faast

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya man...I just recently got a job...needed some cash. So are you gonna try to get an SRT-4 after you find a job? Or are you gonna wait for the Sti?

·
Registered
12,124 Posts
no srt

I think I fall into this category. I'm out of school, but getting married in September and it's pretty much all coming out of my pocket. :cry:

But I can't resist the pulll....... :wink:

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
SRT-Hunter said:
Ya man...I just recently got a job...needed some cash. So are you gonna try to get an SRT-4 after you find a job? Or are you gonna wait for the Sti?
Hunter, Slow is known as the "WRX Whore" around here, what do ya think he's saving up for? :lol: :lol: We're trying to get him his own special title! Slow, just a bit of advice: jobs help cash flow problems!! BTW, what are you guys studying in college?

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
I'm in the same postion as the rest of you, 20yrs of age, in collge, excpet I don't have 10k to throw down (don't know how you guys got that money). I have a decent job working @ HomeDepot for $9/hr. If only insurance wasn't so damned high, I'b be paying off the car with no problem!

·
Registered
59 Posts
im 19, in my second year of college and dirt poor. working and saving my money so i can get a srt-4. its absolutly a horrible idea for me to buy this car at this point in my life. but i dont care dammit, i just want one :twisted:

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
SpitterGuy said:
I'm in the same postion as the rest of you, 2yrs of age, in collge, excpet I don't have 10k to throw down (don't know how you guys got that money). I have a decent job working @ HomeDepot for $9/hr. If only insurance was was so damned high, I'b be paying off the car with no problem!
:shock: 2yrs of age :?: Chrysler really is tageting the younger generation.. :lol:

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Yeah I've been putting out applications but I'd like to avoid fast food if at all possible. Damn this economy! I'd like to get some kind of computer training on the side, they make fat cash. Anyway yeah my major changes monthly, last month it was journalism then I realized that I'm not going to make dick when I get out of college so now I'm majoring in finance. We'll see how that goes. Right now I am "saving"(lol) for a WRX, I'm a freshman right now and I'd like to get one before college ends. STi is way too much for me, I can't see myself making a 500 dollar a month payment anytime soon. Hell who knows I may even end up with an SRT, although my dad would prolly crucify me.

-faast

·
Registered
32 Posts
i think i have all of you beat

ok, heres my situation. im 16yo, i make 7.50/hr which averages to about $150/ week, or $600/month. i had a small accident in my moms car (cost the insurance $4,200) and i had to pay a deductible of $500, which was gonna be my down payment, plus now my insurance is gonna be raised for that. unless i get money back from taxes, i will have no down payment for the srt-4. i will have to pay about $375/month for the car, and another $225 for insurance, which equals about $600. thats cutting it close, huh?

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
I don't think you're gonna make it, unless you have some really generous parents. What about money for gas, girls, fun, and other stuff? You also might want to look into getting a bigger downpayment than 500 bucks, I know a lot of places wouldn't even finance you if you don't put down around 10-20% the price of the car. Plus with a 500 dollar dp, you're gonna have to finance more which will end up costing you more in the long run. Be patient, and try and take more hours. I made 6.75 during the summer and I was making 225-250 routinely.

-faast

·
Registered
32 Posts
well my parents do give me $ for gas and stuff... but i REALLY want the srt-4. i already figured out that as long as i can get a 7%apr or lower, i can afford the monthly payments including insurance. plus, in the summer i will get more hours, so im hoping i can handle it all.

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
I think you need to make sure of your figures before you commit to it. If you get 7%apr for 5 yrs(60 months) with a $500 down payment, your monthly payments are going to be over $400. You may have forgotten to figure in the taxes, title fees, etc.

Good luck, it sounds like you are really trying.... :D

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
RaptorRed said:
I think you need to make sure of your figures before you commit to it. If you get 7%apr for 5 yrs(60 months) with a $500 down payment, your monthly payments are going to be over $400. You may have forgotten to figure in the taxes, title fees, etc.

Good luck, it sounds like you are really trying.... :D
And don't forget insuance, I've had a couple of younger guys that emailed me and they couldn't get the car cause there insurance was as much or more that there car payment. FYI :wink:

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
drizze99 said:
SRT-Hunter said:
Hunter, Slow is known as the "WRX Whore" around here, what do ya think he's saving up for? :lol: :lol: We're trying to get him his own special title! Slow, just a bit of advice: jobs help cash flow problems!! BTW, what are you guys studying in college?

Like Slow im studying Finance....hehe...i need to have a way to feed my addiction to speed. Its interesting too...which helps I guess. :lol:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Ok, maybe I'll get in on this one. I'm 19, will be putting $2600 down...and I'm getting the car at MSRP. So with tax, title, and license it'll be about $22,000. I'll end up financing about $18,500 for 6 years. I bring in about $175 a week, and my mom is going to pay half of my insurance. So I'll be paying around $385 for the payment, and then another $100 for insurance. I work at Vons, so even when I transfer to another college, I can just transfer to another Vons store. By the way, I average around $700 a month, so I will have about $200 dollars left over from each month. Is this a realistic investment in my situation? I think so...lol.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i say go for it....when your 25, your mom might have issues with helping you out financially....take advantage of this...hehehe

oh yea....cutlass...your in CA too right? How much is title and license??

·
Registered
48 Posts
Lol...good call. I'm definitely gonna go for it, I just wanted others' opinions. Ya, I'm from California, from what I remember, tax, title, and license usually is around 2 grand. Of course it depends on the price of the car too.

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
Damn, I feel like the old man on this thread. I'm 30, so I can give you guys some advice. First of all, figure out all of your expenses. Owning a car requires a few monthly permanants (mos. payment, ins. & gas) Then you have your maintenance which happens every 3-5 mos. with oil & filter (about $30.00 for this car), every 5,000 miles for tire rotation and the BIG ONE, tire replacement. I believe the tires on this car are $235 EACH!! Soft compound, so they won't last long. You have other odds and ends but that is about it. This NOT A CHEAP MAINTENCE car by any stretch of the imagination, so prepare yourself. I was once in your guys shoes so what it's like to have a hot car on the market and want it bad. Just DON'T do what I did, which is finally buy my dream car at the time and go from showroom to junkyard in EIGHT MONTHS!! Yea, I lost control of her and went straight into a utility pole head on at about 45 MPH. A SEAT BELT SAVED MY LIFE!! (hint, hint, to all of you too cool to wear one) Good luck to all of you guys!

OK, I'll get off my soap box now!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
About this Discussion
23 Replies
11 Participants
drizze99
Dodge SRT Forum
The community to discuss high-performance Dodge vehicles from the SRT and PVO groups, SRT-4, SRT-6, SRT-8, and SRT-10. Come join the fun!
Full Forum Listing