Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 2 weeks ago I put a K&N airfilter in to my SRT-4, The model E-1006 that was originally made for the 2.0 engine. When I put it in I noticed that it was a bit smaller than the original. Last night I dragged my buddy who also has a completely stock, including airfilter, SRT-4. We have the same milage, but I had a friend in my car who weighed about 210lbs. My friends SRT pulled mine about 4 car lengths to 100mph. Now I have been taking it fairly easy on mine, getting on it once in a while,...but raggs his out big time. So what gives? When I am getting on mine, I can hear alot more air rushing in to the air box than before, is the K&N filter actually slowing down air flow because its a bit smaller? We dragged twice, and he beat me twicw pretty well.

Any idea's?
Thanks,
STeve

·
Super Moderator
6,317 Posts
Just the obvious, ditch the passenger & try it again. If you get beat by 2 lengths that time (less weight), switch the filters or put your orig back in. If that doesn't work, switch cars to see if it's driver skills.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats what I am thinking, too. I outweigh my friend by 30 lbs, combined with my friends 210lbs, makes for a pretty big difference. But the way he just walked away from me,... We dragged from about 15mph, and right away he pulled me. I think the way he drives his, his engine may be a bit more looser than mine...

·
Registered
26,203 Posts
stevessrt said:
About 2 weeks ago I put a K&N airfilter in to my SRT-4, The model E-1006 that was originally made for the 2.0 engine. When I put it in I noticed that it was a bit smaller than the original. Last night I dragged my buddy who also has a completely stock, including airfilter, SRT-4. We have the same milage, but I had a friend in my car who weighed about 210lbs. My friends SRT pulled mine about 4 car lengths to 100mph. Now I have been taking it fairly easy on mine, getting on it once in a while,...but raggs his out big time. So what gives? When I am getting on mine, I can hear alot more air rushing in to the air box than before, is the K&N filter actually slowing down air flow because its a bit smaller? We dragged twice, and he beat me twicw pretty well.

Any idea's?
Thanks,
STeve
You really don't have to go with any model number. I would opt for the S&B version and go with a dimension that the box will allow.

We did a dyno run on a 99 Dakota R/T 5.9 ltr truck, with a stock Mopar filter, then a K&N cone, and a S&B cone. The final winner was the S&B cone over theprevious two types.

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
My K&N filter was the Identical size and it fit in there perfectly Don't even need to use the hose clamp if you don't want. If your K&N is smaller either your stock one was larger than mine or you didn't get the right filter in the box. That aside the exact size of your filter shouldn't matter in this case.

It is probebly the wieght and driving issue. You had atleast 200lbs more in your car and he might have downshifted right into the powerband giving hime instant headstart right away. With your added poundage would make it almost imposible to catch up to him. Just my guess.

I do notice a slight improvement with the engines response with the K&N in. I've swaped them out a few times trying to compare the difference. Atleast the seat of my pants difference. :D

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have always been a believer in breaking in a car hard. Maybe it is just to rationalize my lack of self-control and will power. However, I have found my cars run better than identical cars that were broken in according to factory specs.

This is not scientific, just my opinion. I think looser motors run better, unless of course they end up with blow by.

I drive them like I stole them for the first thousand, change the oil to synthetic (Mobil 1), and air filter to a K&N and then drive them hard till I sell them just before I have to start paying for broken stuff. Isn’t this why they invented warrantees?

Don’t buy one of my used cars. The engines may not last as long, but they seem run better for me. In the dozens of new cars I have bought I can’t recall ever being beaten by an identical car.

When I get my SRT I am going to avoid going through the gears full throttle for at least 500 miles. NOT!

I agree, you should run the biggest air filter that will fit. However, your smaller K&N will flow better than your stock paper filter.

It's not to late. Go run the shit out of your car, it will loosen it up.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I've got a k&n and don't feel or hear a difference. Unless you both had the same amount of gas in the tank, it's not going to be an even race. If he was at 1/8 tank and you're at full, he's gonna pull you.

-Sam

·
Registered
109 Posts
They way I look at it is a K&N or any of the good gauze/oil filters are going to filter out more gunk than the paper ones. That is worth the price of admission alone. Same thing with Synth oil. It is going to protect your engine and oil cooled turbo better under extreme conditions than regular oil. Again a no brainer.

Now on a big HP V8 there may be up to a 5 HP improvement with the Synth. Can you feel it with your butt, probably not? On smaller engines the HP benefit will be proportionately less. Don't forget that you can see hp gains from synth fluids in the drive train, bucause they cut parasidic drag.

With the air filter it depends on how restrictive your stock system was and how much an aftermarket air filter system improves that restriction. With a drop-in, like we are discussing here, there will be less effect. We may be talking about a couple of HP, which there is no way you are going to feel in a 250 HP car. However, with an integrated cold air system with a low restriction air filter, gains of 20 HP plus can be achieved. That you CAN feel.

Any successful racecar team leaves no improvement, no matter how small, ignored.

These mods may not be as glamorous as big pipes or wings etc, but with the oil and the air filter you get the potential of better mileage, more hp, and longer engine life. The amount of each may be small, but they are all steps in the right direction and there is no down side.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Dear Steve
You fat bastard. How dare you blame gravity and mother nature for your pussy driving ability and lame car. I smoked your ass now several times, with and without Glenn in your car. It is obvious to the most casual observer that a yellow srt 4 will spank a red srt 4 anyday, anywhere. Stop blaming the car and look a little in the mirror. You are not only slow but pathetic as well.Perhaps we will race again when you hire a driver or get your wife to drive for you.

RAY :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

·
Banned
27,026 Posts
im a little curious as i just picked up the new Turbo Mag and a WRX gained a few ponies from an Apexi filter kit so yeah i'd have to second the ditch the passenger and dude why dont you try launching at 2k...its obvious your buddy is the better driver no offense :?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Steve
I fully expect that you will post a response to my previous. Just know that when you do the world will know what a puss bag panty waste you truly are. BOO HOO "I had a friend in the car, I had more gas in my tank, the moon was full, I had a roid, I'm on the rag, My vagina is oozing"........... When will the excuses stop. I am the master. I AM YOUR MASTER, BITCH!

Ray

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
rays said:
Dear Steve
You fat bastard. How dare you blame gravity and mother nature for your pussy driving ability and lame car. I smoked your ass now several times, with and without Glenn in your car. It is obvious to the most casual observer that a yellow srt 4 will spank a red srt 4 anyday, anywhere. Stop blaming the car and look a little in the mirror. You are not only slow but pathetic as well.Perhaps we will race again when you hire a driver or get your wife to drive for you.

RAY :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Steve, you call this guy your buddy?

From what I am hearing, the K&N is more restrictive than a real clean factory filter. Compare the 2, and you'll see the difference. I am thinking that K&N is going to have to make a filter specific for the SRT-4. This 2nd gen one just isn't cutting it. I'm going to wait and see what happens before I drop $45 on a filter that doesn't do anything.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Raymnod, Raymond, Raymond,....
If your driving ability was as quick as you witty retorts, you would be a Nascar owner/driver. Is you bottom healing from last nights spanking? Please, your taking your frustrations out on the better person/driver. Just because I can launch a car by bogging it and pull away from you, now that I ditched my friend that was with me, I think says alot about the driver.
anyway, I will not stoop to your 5th grade level of mud slinging. Just know that nya, nya,....I am better than you :p :p :p

·
Registered
109 Posts
That was fun. Wish I could have been there.

·
Registered
10 Posts
PB Pod said:
They way I look at it is a K&N or any of the good gauze/oil filters are going to filter out more gunk than the paper ones. That is worth the price of admission alone.
-not too sure about this one, although you're right about synth oil.

there have been a couple independent (not k&n), enthusiast conducted tests on the net which shows that cotton/gauze and foam filters actually let in a LOT more crap then regular stock paper filters. the trick however is that you have to keep replacing them, because they only do their job better then k&n's when clean... something about micron tolerances and what not. i'll try to google for em. but yeah just my 2 cents. do what makes ya happy. 8)

long ass thread from some random site:
http://www.wagoneers.com/FSJ/tech/kn-vs-amsoil-according-to-john.html

1 - 16 of 16 Posts