Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Forum Moderator
13,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Still trying to diagnose a small hiss coming from underneath the car at WOT. I was wondering if maybe I have a faulty flex joint on my ATP race pipe.

This sound immediately started right after I installed a 3" o2 housing and ATP race pipe so I'm kind of ruling it out as a boost leak although I have tightened every single ic hose clamp and checked all my vacuum hoses.

My assumption is that when at WOT the motor is torquing and pulling the flex piece and exposing a small hole somewhere and letting out a bit of exhaust air. That is why I can never hear it at idle or thru casual driving.

Thoughts? Feedback?

·
Registered
626 Posts
haha my only though is that every time i see the pic of your car in your sig i picture it in the hot pink from the other thread

but seriously your guess sounds pretty good. strap it on a lift and go WOT in neutral (if that's safe) while someone checks the flex joint area

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Should have gotten the MaxFabb O2"...
Personally when I am getting a Turboback I think I am sticking with the stock o2 housing just to save all this hassle.

I dont see how you can deal with all this shit man, id be so pissed off, I ahte it when stuff breaks for no reason. =( Sorry I am no use to you tho

·
Forum Moderator
13,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
En-Glaived said:
Should have gotten the MaxFabb O2"...
Personally when I am getting a Turboback I think I am sticking with the stock o2 housing just to save all this hassle.

I dont see how you can deal with all this shit man, id be so pissed off, I ahte it when stuff breaks for no reason. =( Sorry I am no use to you tho
Yeah i've been pissed. My car doesn't feel the same as before and I hear that damn hiss when I floor it.

I'm going to the track on Monday so my e.t. and trap will tell all.

I'm real close to just putting the stock dp back on except one thing...

DOH! 3" pipe welded to resonator!

Attachments

·
Forum Moderator
13,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yelbou said:
How long have u had the ATP DP?
The dp has been on the car for a few weeks. But I bought it used! :eveilgrin

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
I doubt it's the flex....but anything is possible.......

You will hear more of a whoosh sound comming from the thinner tubing of the O2 housing. The cast unit was probably 1/2 inch thick...pretty effective for sound deadening.

Good luck at the track.

·
Forum Moderator
13,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
scottmech said:
I doubt it's the flex....but anything is possible.......

You will hear more of a whoosh sound comming from the thinner tubing of the O2 housing. The cast unit was probably 1/2 inch thick...pretty effective for sound deadening.

Good luck at the track.
I was hoping you'd chime in Scott.

That was one option I thought it might be in the beginning but on one of my older threads I didn't get any feedback as to whether or not the sound I'm hearing is just the exhaust rushing through the new pipes.

Kind of makes sense since I'm sure the stock o2 and stock dp do a good job of keeping all that quiet.

So its normal to hear exhaust rushing thru the pipes?

·
Registered
380 Posts
when i put my atp downpipe on i did have a leak coming from the very top of the downpipe i just got some header gasket maker and put it on my finger and gunked it on there all better!! you can reach it from the engine bay leaning over pass side check that

·
Registered
380 Posts
after all atp doesnt supply a gasket with their downpipe <im still kickin myself in the ass for not getting a maxfab one> check the seal around the o2 and the downpipe itself

·
Registered
380 Posts
check around the welds too just put ur hand around it right after a cold start up i dunno just throwin ideas

·
Registered
380 Posts
guess you got gasket maker on there already :<

·
Forum Moderator
13,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah including a 3" gasket in between as well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts