Dodge SRT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car was wrecked in the front and damaged destroyed the radiator core support. So I got a new core support off a 2005 SRT-4 and I need to cut then weld it onto my car. Problem is I have never done this before and don't have the money to pay a shops outrageous prices. The radiator core support is made of aluminum right? What type of welder/welder setup would you recommend for this? Is there any good info on the web?

Please help, I need to get my car back on the road again.

No flames please.

·
Registered
964 Posts
tech180 said:
My car was wrecked in the front and damaged destroyed the radiator core support. So I got a new core support off a 2005 SRT-4 and I need to cut then weld it onto my car. Problem is I have never done this before and don't have the money to pay a shops outrageous prices. The radiator core support is made of aluminum right? What type of welder/welder setup would you recommend for this? Is there any good info on the web?

No flames please.

Honestly man, if you don't know how to do it, take it to a body shop.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mrj82 said:
tech180 said:

No flames please.

Ok, that answered my question. I was told that the first time I built a motor but that did not stop me form doing it, now i have fully built 6 motors. I would rather do it myself and learn and save alot of money. If I mess up I mess up. Dosent really look to tuff, cut the old off, then weld the new one on. Just wanting to know if anyone has advice.

Posting "take it to a shop" does not help.

·
Banned
2,943 Posts
tech180 said:
mrj82 said:
tech180 said:

No flames please.

Ok, that answered my question. I was told that the first time I built a motor but that did not stop me form doing it, now i have fully built 6 motors. I would rather do it myself and learn and save alot of money. If I mess up I mess up. Dosent really look to tuff, cut the old off, then weld the new one on. Just wanting to know if anyone has advice.

Posting "take it to a shop" does not help.
If you think it is aluminum, well you need to take it to a shop. If you can't afford a shop then you can't afford a welder.

·
Registered
8,066 Posts
im pretty positive man that taking it to a shop is gonna be cheaper than buying a fucking welder and leraning how to weld only to fuck it up and have to buy a new core support
i mean its kind of a structural piece :rofl: you might wanna have a good weld on it :ftard:
maybe you can just get some really strong rope and tie it on

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
You guys are not helping any. Shop wants $1200 to do it, and im not going to pay that. I would rather buy a new welder and do it myself.

I do own a glassless flux core wire feed welder and have used it before but do not know if this would work to weld the sheet mettle on core support.

If you don't have any useful advice don't say anything at all please.

·
Registered
12,062 Posts
what everyone else said. certain things you shouldn't attempt yourself unless you've had training or practice. welding in a structural member on a car is NOT in the same league as building a motor*. this is one of those times the $ you spend having someone else with the skills to do it right far outweighs any potential savings you think you might gain by attempting to do it yourself.

* I'm referring to a basic motor rebuild or refresh here; that is just basically follow the instructions type of deal (insert bolt A in hole B and torque to C lb-ft). when it comes to doing up a race motor, a full balance/blue-printing or other modifications those indeed take special skills and practice. disclaimer added so as not to get any of the actual skilled people here all butthurt. :D

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
When the shop gave you the estimate of 1200 dollars, that was probably for purchasing a new core support, having it painted, welded in place, and putting your car up on the chief to have the frame aligned in the front. If you just slap a core support on there and bolt everything back together you might not like the outcome when your bumper, hood, and both fenders don't sit right because you were an eighth of an inch off on your measurments

Edit: Mig or Tig would work

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Turbocruiser13 said:
When the shop gave you the estimate of 1200 dollars, that was probably for purchasing a new core support, having it painted, welded in place, and putting your car up on the chief to have the frame aligned in the front. If you just slap a core support on there and bolt everything back together you might not like the outcome when your bumper, hood, and both fenders don't sit right because you were an eighth of an inch off on your measurments

Edit: Mig or Tig would work

Good info, thanks man.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I took your advice and hired a pro. He is going to let me be part of the repair so I can learn to do it myself next time. His price was not so bad either, he dropped me down to $20 a hour and said we will have it fixed in a day. I paid $350 for a new core support so my total cost will be under $600 (Not counting radiator, hood, fenders and head lights). I will take lots of pics and do a write up for any one else attempting to fix there own wrecked SRT-4s (There are a ton of them!).

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
That's a much better price...just make sure you triple check all your measurements first of you'll be upset when you put the car back together and notice that you have uneven gaps in the fenders, hood, bumper, etc. Best of luck to ya tho...should be a fun project with the help of a pro

·
Registered
864 Posts
Done it before on my old integra. was a PITA. you have to drill out the old spot welds then once you do the same on the donar front end you can reweld it back in place.

I used a MIG with gas. if there are more bent parts its going to be a pain to get it straight. If there is frame damage, best to have a shop straighten that.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
BlackOhFour said:
Done it before on my old integra. was a PITA. you have to drill out the old spot welds then once you do the same on the donar front end you can reweld it back in place.

I used a MIG with gas. if there are more bent parts its going to be a pain to get it straight. If there is frame damage, best to have a shop straighten that.
Yeah, thats how they have been saying to do it on the net. I got lucky and there is no frame damage, it was a 15mph wreck in a parking lot. It just got crushed in because the crash bar was off making room for the FMIC, there was nothing to stop the collision but sheet mettle and a radiator.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
tech180 said:
BlackOhFour said:

Yeah, thats how they have been saying to do it on the net. I got lucky and there is no frame damage, it was a 15mph wreck in a parking lot. It just got crushed in because the crash bar was off making room for the FMIC, there was nothing to stop the collision but sheet mettle and a radiator.
metal*

Sorry, I have nothing more constructive to say.. but WOW.

·
Registered
5,403 Posts
lol you bunch of fuckin cock suckerzzz!!!!!!!! weld that motherfuckin shit together yourself man..fuck it...take it to a shop and some dum fuckin hillbilly is what your gonna get anyway......
id think a decent mig or tig welder is gonna run you about $1000 or so.. most likely by the time its all said and done I bet your probly gonna spend about the same no matter what route your deicide to take.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
19 psi said:
lol you bunch of fuckin cock suckerzzz!!!!!!!! weld that motherfuckin shit together yourself man..fuck it...take it to a shop and some dum fuckin hillbilly is what your gonna get anyway......
id think a decent mig or tig welder is gonna run you about $1000 or so.. most likely by the time its all said and done I bet your probly gonna spend about the same no matter what route your deicide to take.
if I did it myself I would learn and own a nice welder. If I fuck up then I take it to a shop.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
either way you go....
welding steel = easy
welding aluminum = hard
aluminum takes skill to weld. i'd highly suggest practicing on scrap pieces if you choose to buy your own welder. i'd hate to see you mess up on the car! also, be sure to be careful when welding on a car. you can really screw up electronics if not grounded correctly. plus, there is the gas tank to remember. good luck to you and i hope you get it back on the road soon!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.