Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Punchline first, and if you want to stick around for the story it is below: I am looking for (hopefully) any former Dodge/Chrysler employees, in Missouri would be a big plus, to explain to me how they managed to get the state's buy-in for these cars to pass inspection for registration without <spoilers> a muffler.

Two years ago, my last inspection, I took the car to the same place I always do because I hear the guy that owns it lives in my neighborhood and we're happy to give them our business (despite not earning anything on inspections, but that's beside the point). I'm usually used to failing the first go around because of silly stuff: one time was because I forgot the key to my lugs in the tool box at home so they couldn't verify tightness, another was for an old rear-wiper blade (different car); so I'm not surprised when they first walk out with the yellow failing slip. This time it was a new one for me even though I hear it is more common for SRT4 owners: no muffler (my car does still have a cat). First, I told them the cars were never manufactured with one, I keep the copy of the service manual page in my car for this very reason. Didn't accept that answer. Second, I asked them why they passed me last time and not this time. "Don't know, but we shouldn't have." To add insult to injury, I had the previous passing slip in my glove box and showed it to them, the tech that passed me last time looks at his signature and goes "I have no idea why I would have passed you." Their final say in the matter was: if I didn't like it, I could go to the Highway Patrol inspection station for an appeal to pass the inspection.

I wasn't going without preparing myself first, so I looked up the good ole US Code of Federal Regulations for 2004 (date of manufacture) that states a turbocharger is an acceptable equivalent for a muffler because a turbocharger impedes the flow of exhaust gases, thereby (GASP) muffling the engine noise. So I take the service manual page and the CFR with me to the HP inspection station. I explain the issue to the first guy I speak to that the cars were never made with a muffler (cue service manual page) and he apparently isn't allowed to weigh in on the subject because he goes to a back office. Eventually he comes back with a -and I WISH I was joking- printed PowerPoint presentation that they use in classes for inspection techs that says, without a reference to a specific statute, that cars must have a muffler to pass inspection. So I pull out the CFR and explain that a muffler can be substituted with a turbocharger. He goes back to the office again and, through the open door, I hear "THIS SAYS IT HAS TO HAVE A MUFFLER!!!" First guy comes back and again says they can't pass the appeal, because the car doesn't have a muffler. I asked him (maybe I was sounding a little frustrated at this point, but still infinitely more polite than the back office voice) why they won't recognize the US Code of Federal Regulations regarding the basis that a turbocharger is an acceptable muffler and his response is simply "This is Missouri." I literally have no idea how to respond to that so I asked "You mean to tell me all SRT4's in their 15 years of existence have NEVER been able to be licensed in Missouri?" and he just shrugged and handed me my paperwork.

SO. Understanding that, despite what HP inspection station guy says, SRT4's HAVE been licensed in Missouri without a muffler, does anyone know of/have any advice as to how to explain this to an inspection station so they'll pass it? I'm sick of this being a crap shoot each time I need to renew.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Punchline first, and if you want to stick around for the story it is below: I am looking for (hopefully) any former Dodge/Chrysler employees, in Missouri would be a big plus, to explain to me how they managed to get the state's buy-in for these cars to pass inspection for registration without a muffler.

Two years ago, my last inspection, I took the car to the same place I always do because I hear the guy that owns it lives in my neighborhood and we're happy to give them our business (despite not earning anything on inspections, but that's beside the point). I'm usually used to failing the first go around because of silly stuff: one time was because I forgot the key to my lugs in the tool box at home so they couldn't verify tightness, another was for an old rear-wiper blade (different car); so I'm not surprised when they first walk out with the yellow failing slip. This time it was a new one for me even though I hear it is more common for SRT4 owners: no muffler (my car does still have a cat). First, I told them the cars were never manufactured with one, I keep the copy of the service manual page in my car for this very reason. Didn't accept that answer. Second, I asked them why they passed me last time and not this time. "Don't know, but we shouldn't have." To add insult to injury, I had the previous passing slip in my glove box and showed it to them, the tech that passed me last time looks at his signature and goes "I have no idea why I would have passed you." Their final say in the matter was: if I didn't like it, I could go to the Highway Patrol inspection station for an appeal to pass the inspection.

I wasn't going without preparing myself first, so I looked up the good ole US Code of Federal Regulations for 2004 (date of manufacture) that states a turbocharger is an acceptable equivalent for a muffler because a turbocharger impedes the flow of exhaust gases, thereby (GASP) muffling the engine noise. So I take the service manual page and the CFR with me to the HP inspection station. I explain the issue to the first guy I speak to that the cars were never made with a muffler (cue service manual page) and he apparently isn't allowed to weigh in on the subject because he goes to a back office. Eventually he comes back with a -and I WISH I was joking- printed PowerPoint presentation that they use in classes for inspection techs that says, without a reference to a specific statute, that cars must have a muffler to pass inspection. So I pull out the CFR and explain that a muffler can be substituted with a turbocharger. He goes back to the office again and, through the open door, I hear "THIS SAYS IT HAS TO HAVE A MUFFLER!!!" First guy comes back and again says they can't pass the appeal, because the car doesn't have a muffler. I asked him (maybe I was sounding a little frustrated at this point, but still infinitely more polite than the back office voice) why they won't recognize the US Code of Federal Regulations regarding the basis that a turbocharger is an acceptable muffler and his response is simply "This is Missouri." I literally have no idea how to respond to that so I asked "You mean to tell me all SRT4's in their 15 years of existence have NEVER been able to be licensed in Missouri?" and he just shrugged and handed me my paperwork.

SO. Understanding that, despite what HP inspection station guy says, SRT4's HAVE been licensed in Missouri without a muffler, does anyone know of/have any advice as to how to explain this to an inspection station so they'll pass it? I'm sick of this being a crap shoot each time I need to renew.
Since states cant preempt federal law, your turbo covers the muffler requirement.

Either install a resonator, a shell or take it to another shop.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
344 Posts
I live in MO as well. This discussion has been had many times. CA guys have it worse.

You cant pass Inspection w/o a Cat either. You can pass Emissions w no muffler and no cat by having a tuner turn off the Cat codes but state law says any passenger vehicle must have a cat & muffler. After I passed the first time I just keep going to the same shop.

You could pass and get 2 year plates, get a catless DP and a center section w/ no muffler, anti-seize the bolts and swap them out as needed.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do have the cat (for now) so that's not an issue, but unfortunately my problem is this was the "same shop" that's passed me twice before. I guess I just got the wrong guy on the wrong day. The highway patrol logic just blew my mind with the whole "we don't subscribe to federal regulations" and apparently these cars were never register-able in MO because they don't have a physical muffler. 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
344 Posts
If anyone asks or says anything I just say its a glass pack.

The exhaust shops around here dont even stock resonators and my first inspection pass they welded a GP on for me. Switched to Borla catback and it looks the same as the glass pack they gave me. I keep the exhaust diagram in the glove box. Dodge releasing them as they are, added to the love I have for the cars but it can be a pain is the *** at times.

They write laws so they can get us on anything, at anytime. Wildlife laws are just as bad. Bc the law says muffler specifically, thats why they are "right". Id say just be happy we dont live somewhere like CA or Virginia (I think) where they could force you to add a muffler when the law says it cant be modified from factory... Some guys just end up w a thermal RD to tone it down.

Good luck with it

·
Registered
394 Posts
I do have the cat (for now) so that's not an issue, but unfortunately my problem is this was the "same shop" that's passed me twice before. I guess I just got the wrong guy on the wrong day. The highway patrol logic just blew my mind with the whole "we don't subscribe to federal regulations" and apparently these cars were never register-able in MO because they don't have a physical muffler.
Not true, they must follow federal vehicle safety laws, just like the manufacturer had to inorder to produce the car. Your car has a physical muffler on it its called a turbo. Just because that shop doesnt like the muffler type doesnt make it not a muffler.

Law enforcement guys are funny, but i dont argue with them. Thats what judges are for.

Just take it to a different shop. inspection states are retarded and if you are close to one of the borders you could always just move, problem solved. Hahah.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
MasterFRM,

Forgive me for straying from your topic...

"Kali" resident here.
I've been pulled over for excessive noise with the stock exhaust. After showing information (C&D magazine) mentioning no muffler, I was allowed to go without a ticket.
Since the Thermal with cat. install, excessive noise has never been mentioned by Police.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts