Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I'm new to car audio. I was looking at a Hifonics Brutus DX1500 D amp. It puts out 500watts X 1 @ 4 ohms. I got some information off of jl's website about wiring the DVC subs.

2 DVC drivers with Voice Coils in Series / Parallel
Connecting the two voice coils of each driver in series (+ to -) and the drivers themselves in parallel (+ to +, etc.) will result in the following impedances:
Dual-6 Ohm Subwoofers: 6 Ohms
Dual-4 Ohm Subwoofer: 4 Ohms
Dual-2 Ohm Subwoofer: 2 Ohms

As i said im new to car audio and im about 95% sure that both subs will get 500watts, and this is a good choice for an amp. Thanks for the help, I just needed to know before i bought the amp. I found it for $160.00 on ebay.

thanks again

jeff

·
Registered
633 Posts
whats the rms recommended for the subs you are looking at? That amp is stable at 1 ohm 2 ohm and 4 ohm loads so you have alot of wiring choices just need to make sure you dont overpower your subs and blow them.

·
Registered
437 Posts
The W6v2 are only dual 4 ohms so the total load on a single amp channel will be 4 ohms. There are a few options now, but the orignal amp that will be maximized fo htme is a JL 1000/1 PG and MB quart both have impedance matching amps that can deliver the needed power at 4 ohms. I'd go with the Quart of over the PG.

The hifonics may not be a good choice as you will be under powering each subwoofer by running the amp at 4 ohms. You'd be better off with 3 12W3s with dual 6 ohm coils so that you can get a 2 ohm load the hifonics will be better at powering. Although if the amp is like the BX1500D then it can handle a 1 ohm load, then the W6's are back in play as they can be paralleled down to 1 ohm.

The W6v2s are rated at 400 watts rms each and JL is VERY conservative with their ratings. I have seen a single 12W6v2s handel a JL 1000/1.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
i wouldn't go with the xenon amps from PG. i've heard of them things catching on fire:( why can't they just go back to the good old MS amps?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply's. It helps a lot and I've decieded on the JL 1000/1 amp. I have a friend with a JL amp and subs it sounds pretty nice.

thanks for the info

jeff

1 - 6 of 6 Posts