Dodge SRT Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a few photos of the aluminum carbon fiber eyelids installed on my silver SRT-4 this last weekend. I got them from Carbon By Design. Let me know what ya'll think. I think they add a nice contrast to the silver scheme, kinda like eye shadow on a beautiful woman.

Attachments

·
Registered
280 Posts
Kinda like whorey amount of eye makeup on a cheap hooker. Give me matched color or give me death.

not my cup of tea, but to each their own. Nice car man

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I think that looks awesome!! Makes me want a silver one, but Orange is teh best. ANyone got pics of the Orange carbon fiber ones? (Hijack)

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
BillN said:
Kinda like whorey amount of eye makeup on a cheap hooker. Give me matched color or give me death.

not my cup of tea, but to each their own. Nice car man
InDeed Whorey, but hey I like whorey :eyebrow: :paranoid:

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Dont they also carry another silver looking cf headlight, I wonder how it would look with a cf hood, I imagine it would look pimp.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm not really concerned what it does to the headlight itself since I don't plan on taking them off. I talked to Dominic at Carbon by Design a few weeks ago about making a hood out of the same material, and he said its a slight possibility, but would have to wait a while since they're hella busy with other projects. The material isn't exactly carbon fiber; it's texallium, which I guess could be considered an aluminum version of carbon fiber.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Nice pics...I just got a pair of the stranded aluminum (trexillium) S style eyelids at the Hotchkis performance suspension meet we had out here in SoCal but I haven't put them on yet. Carbon by Design was invited to have a display booth and talk about their products and manufacturing process. I bet that people that may not have been interested in getting carbon fiber products may have changed their minds. They have also invited the SRT community and anyone else who may be interested to an open house that they are sponsoring at their manufacturing facility. That should be a great meet. Looks like another reason to get a caravan together and go for a cruise with lots of fellow SRT'ers.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
"The material isn't exactly carbon fiber; it's texallium, which I guess could be considered an aluminum version of carbon fiber."

thats like saying that you have a steel version of titanium, its either carbon fiber or its not

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
NorwayGT said:
thats like saying that you have a steel version of titanium, its either carbon fiber or its not
well, for those of us who enjoy having a silver car and would like to accessorize it with carbon fiber-esque items, this is a suitable substitute. from what i've gathered from Dominic at CbD, this material is practically the same as carbon fiber. it's extremely light weight, it's strong, and it's manufactured using the same process. the only difference is the color. sure, i could've bought carbon fiber eyelids for the same price and had them color matched, but that kinda defeats the purpose of buying carbon fiber accessories. for people who enjoy the carbon fiber "look," great for them. some people execute it very well on their cars. i prefer to keep the silver scheme. however, i just don't want anyone to think of these as some sort of autozone ricer knockoff.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
It just like carbon fiber, yes but it is an AL fiber. Woven just like CF then molded. Might aswell call it AF (alluminum fiber). I don't think it is as strong as carbon fiber though.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
titansrt4 said:
It just like carbon fiber, yes but it is an AL fiber. Woven just like CF then molded. Might aswell call it AF (alluminum fiber). I don't think it is as strong as carbon fiber though.

Correct,

It's an aluminum based monofiliment which is then bonded to a 2 x 2 s-glass cloth. It's not carbon fiber, but the weave pattern mimics it. It cannot be used in structional applications. It's cool stuff, it looks different and will always make people do a double take.

Thanks
Dominick
CarbonbyDesign

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
JjkatxSRT4 said:
Dont they also carry another silver looking cf headlight, I wonder how it would look with a cf hood, I imagine it would look pimp.
i have regular cf hood and cf eyelids

looks damned as sexy... sorrie i didnt resize...
CBD makes top notch stuff... i love em

·
Registered
5,805 Posts
Hey I want to buy a pair of these can anyone help me out ?
they will have to be used. Carbon By Design doesn't make parts for our cars anymore. They do aerospace stuff. ModernPerformance.com did buy all their stuff out I believe. I haven't seen the "texallium" ones on their site :(

1 - 17 of 17 Posts