Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Almost lost $18,000 Need opinions, read post 13!!

So i was selling my truck to a guy who lived in france.
he sent me a casheirs check for 18,000.
(truck $9,000--Shipping--8,850--western union--150.)
He said to use western union and wire the 8,850. to the shipper and the shipper would call me and arrange a pick up day for the truck. i took the check to my bank to have them take a look at it. thay said thay would look into it. thay then called me and said "We wont cash this check we want you to hand it over to the police" so i did! Thay were hoping i would cash it sent them 8850. then thay would come get the truck and the check would be returned to my bank and id owe 8850. plus 9000. For the truck.i have one address and two name's

Buyer--Green Howard [email protected]
Shipper-- Don below

Michelle Besklin
43-50 Main St
Queens NY USA 11355

IF YOU LIVE NEAR HERE WILL YOU CHECK THIS ADDRESS AND SEE IF ITS GLOBAL EXPRESS SHIPPING
if it's not knock on his door and beat his ass and ill pay you!
If you can find out any other info based on his name or e-mail let me know

Read post 13!!

Thanks

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
Think about that for a second. You were selling a truck to FRANCE and they were willing to pay $8k to ship it? :lol: That would have been a very clear sign to stay away.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Man I'm sorry that almost happened to you. This scam has been going on for a little bit. When I was getting ready to leave my last base (In the UK) I was selling my car, posted some Ad's online and started to get some very similar e-mail's to what you got. Lucally it seemed fishy to me and too good to be true so I talked to the British cops about it and learned about the scam.

The scam is not just in NY, or the states at that, It's international. You get the bogus check, pay the shipping company and the check bounces. Then your out $$$.

Give your local FBI office a call and file a report. They may want to set up a sting on this guy or group.

FBI New York
26 Federal Plaza, 23rd. Floor
New York, New York 10278-0004
newyork.fbi.gov
(212) 384-1000

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah i didnt know that the shipping was so much till i got the check.
i should mail him a fake title to the truck and say i got money in hand. if thay show up ill beat there ass!!! i never actually sent any money so i just lost the money for the e-bay auction

·
"Made" Member
75,379 Posts
Ah, I just saw that you did all of this. I missed the part where your bank wouldn't do anything.

Good play on your bank's part. Saved you a LOT of headache.

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
I would show whatever proof you have to ebay as well. That way they can keep track of that person and refund you your fee's. Or at least allow you to repost it without paying again.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
main street is a very popular street that has nothing but lil asain markets around. i gotta run to my sisters place today she lives a few miles away fromnthere maybe i'll check it out

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
there is no such address as 41-50. there is a 4150 main street in flushing which is pretty close to my old college

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
Theres many many scams to watch out for. Usually it is a foreign seller or buyer involving a shipping company of their choice. Usually its a deal thats too good to be true but not always. Gotta be careful and like someone said NEVER use a wire transfer and ALWAYS let checks clear before shipping.

Another very good scam i just saw is fraudulent paypal emails confirming transactions. There is a dispute link on the bottom to dispute the transaction that links to a paypal mirror site. It looks legit but if you look at the address bar its not paypal. Its basically just to get your username and password.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My wife emailed the guy back and told him that the bank was holding the check til it cleared. She sent this email to him before we handed the check over to the police. He emailed us back today and to let him know when the check cleared. What should I do?

·
Registered
443 Posts
relenger said:
My wife emailed the guy back and told him that the bank was holding the check til it cleared. She sent this email to him before we handed the check over to the police. He emailed us back today and to let him know when the check cleared. What should I do?
I hope after all this you are not still considering the deal? Contact the FBI and/or the Secret Service.

·
Registered
8,080 Posts
Contact police and see if they want to pursue it. If not contact the news and see if they do. Media loves that sort of stuff.

·
Banned
3,359 Posts
relenger said:
Let the police deal with it. You can of course be Mr Investigator and try your deal at it and take a chances, but with a family I probably would just leave it alone. I would definitly put in a police report, because if this so called check turns out to be true... you are screwed when he sues you.

Either way, leave it to the police. Don't take a chance.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
You are really fortunate you didn't get fully caught up in this. I worked Western Union's Security Dept. for 4 years and saw way too many people get burned on the cashiers check scheme. Some people even got arrested on top of losing their money. You won't find these guys that are doing it, they're too slick. Play e-mail tag with them for a while if you want, but be warned though, they tend to get really pushy as time passes. They will even call you! They give up and move on as soon as they know the game is up.

·
Registered
977 Posts
What in the world would make you think someone would spend 9k on a truck and the same for shipping?:jester: :gay: :rofl: :readclose It only costs like 1k or less to ship a vehicle overseas.

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts