Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, well I had my new rims installed for a while and dropped with progress lowering springs. I got the alignement done right after the installment on both and it's still off. Well the car rides straight and does what it suppose to be the steering wheel is towards the left but goes straight. Is this a alignment problem or is something else wrong with this.

Also i got my new rims, the right pressure and i got em balanced TWICE, I still have vibrations at high speeds. I was there watching the guy doing the balance and everything seems good. I made sure the wash crushers or watever they are called were pulled off. any sugguestions?

·
Administrator
39,215 Posts
first problem, the alignment guy didn't have the steering wheel locked in straight when he set the toe. Take it back and get it fixed, shouldn't take long at all, just adjust the tie rods on each side the same amount until the wheel is pointed straight.

for the second problem, do you have the right size hub ring installed?

·
Registered
688 Posts
Turb0 said:
Also i got my new rims, the right pressure and i got em balanced TWICE, I still have vibrations at high speeds. I was there watching the guy doing the balance and everything seems good.
You may have a high or low spot in the rim or tire. Take it to a tire shop with a Hunter GSP 9700 Road Force balancer. ( http://www.gsp9700.com ) If that doesn't take care of the problem, it is some kind of problem with the wheel to hub interface. Either you are not running hubcentric rings or they are the wrong size, or the hub face is not machined smooth, or something else along those lines.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The rims I bought were from online, edgeracing. The mounted and balanced them and the hubcaps they went where the right size.

When i first REBALANCED them, they were off like no other. I drove around, it was WAY less vibration but still there to annoy me. So I took it back, made sure the tire pressure was perfect and rebalanced them again. From the machine, they were a little off, and were set to 0.00. The vibration is still there..

just to clarify, the steering wheel is due to alignment correct? It's tilted towards left but goes straight

·
Registered
417 Posts
You need to tell the mechanic to do high speed balancing, or 'round off' so the machine doesn't round. Those machines will say zero if it's anything below .24 oz. You want to have each side of the wheel balanced to .10 of an oz or below. You didn't need hub centrics?

This is a place to bring up another note. When you get new rims, you should throw the guy who puts em on a few bucks and ask him to spin the rims with no tires on it. This will show you exactly how out of balace the rim itself is. If any more than .75 i'd send that shit back.

Your alignment issue is because your toe is out/in. Take it back and tell them the steering wheel is crooked and they should fix it for no charge. toe does not effect pull at all, it ONLY effects your steering wheel being straight or not, unless you just put new tie rods on or something.

·
Administrator
39,215 Posts
toe affects pull a lot. total toe being 0 will mean no pull, anything else will pull, like if one tire is 1/8" toe out, other is 0, the car will pull.

·
Registered
417 Posts
negative, toe does not effect pull, look it up if you want, You have total toe which evens the wheels out putting the difference in to the steering wheel. I am a mechanic. kthx.

·
Administrator
39,215 Posts
are you saying that if one tire is pointing to the right, the other is pointing straight, the car will NOT want to go to the right at all?

·
SRTFORUM Moderator
23,153 Posts
stowaway said:
are you saying that if one tire is pointing to the right, the other is pointing straight, the car will NOT want to go to the right at all?

n00bs. ^ :jester:

·
SRTFORUM Moderator
23,153 Posts
Total toe may be defined as the diffrence in distance measured across the front versus the distance across the rear of the tires at spindle height. ;)

·
SRTFORUM Moderator
23,153 Posts
yarful said:
negative, toe does not effect pull, look it up if you want, You have total toe which evens the wheels out putting the difference in to the steering wheel. I am a mechanic. kthx.

Actually, TOE is not a pulling angle.

Front toe will equalize when the wheels are placed in motion if there are no mechanical or hydraulic pressure working against it...Therefore front toe wear will generally be symmetrical on both front tires. Since rear wheels do not steer freely...the rear tires generally develop toe wear on a individual basis. :thumbsup:

Felt like typing..sorry. :lol:

·
Administrator
39,215 Posts
AdvanSRT-4 said:

Front toe will equalize when the wheels are placed in motion if there are no mechanical or hydraulic pressure working against it...Therefore front toe wear will generally be symmetrical on both front tires. Since rear wheels do not steer freely...the rear tires generally develop toe wear on a individual basis. :thumbsup:

which goes along with the original problem, steering wheel isn't centered when going straight then the toe can be out on one or both wheels but there won't be a pull. If you hold the wheel straight it may pull for a number of reasons, both tires pointing the same direction or one pointing one way and the other pointed straight or at least a different amount than the other wheel, correct?

dang, I can't think straight tonight. :(

some car tech website said:
OFF-CENTER STEERING WHEEL
This condition may accompany a steady pull or memory steer. But if the steering wheel is off-center (crooked) but there is no pull to either side, possible causes include:

• Steering linkage not centered when toe was adjusted. Correct by recentering steering wheel and equalizing lengths of both tie rods, then readjusting toe to specifications.

·
Registered
417 Posts
if the tire is pointed sideways then you just put new tie rods on or hit something etc. as a tire turns it changes camber throughout the steering axis/radius, i forget angle name, which is what is pulling. Though they are all relevant to each other toe is not causing the pull. when total toe is close to optimal position, each side can be out plenty and causing wear on the tires, yet not causing a pull.

That total toe defination sucks, it is correct i just looked in my book, but it says nothing to do with what the angle effects.

I hope this clears it up... if you don't believe me take it up with ASE. =]

·
SRTFORUM Moderator
23,153 Posts
stowaway said:
which goes along with the original problem, steering wheel isn't centered when going straight then the toe can be out on one or both wheels but there won't be a pull. If you hold the wheel straight it may pull for a number of reasons, both tires pointing the same direction or one pointing one way and the other pointed straight or at least a different amount than the other wheel, correct?

dang, I can't think straight tonight. :(

Your on track stowaway. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
417 Posts
AdvanSRT-4 said:

that's like.. what i said :0

·
Registered
688 Posts
I got toes on the ends of my feets.

Mechanics scare me, so if I have to let someone work on my car, I make sure it is a technician.

If you will reffer to the OP's question, you will notice he described a situation where the front toe was set with the steering wheel crooked. Hence it is not pulling, only the steering wheel is off.
Well the car rides straight and does what it suppose to be the steering wheel is towards the left but goes straight.

·
Registered
417 Posts
OFF-CENTER STEERING WHEEL
This condition may accompany a steady pull or memory steer. But if the steering wheel is off-center (crooked) but there is no pull to either side, possible causes include:

• Steering linkage not centered when toe was adjusted. Correct by recentering steering wheel and equalizing lengths of both tie rods, then readjusting toe to specifications.

^--- that's crap btw. It has nothing to do with the linkage being centered. Doesn't matter if it's not even... they are adjustable... that's the whole point. If one side is longer the other will be shorting = 0

·
Administrator
39,215 Posts
AdvanSRT-4 said:
Your on track stowaway. :thumbsup:
i don't like to let the wheel be loose in my hands much so I hold it and want to have it centered, that's why I think a car is pulling and the toe wasn't set properly when it was last aligned, or I hit something. :cowtongue

1 - 20 of 27 Posts