Dodge SRT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up my new SRT-4 today. When I checked the trunk, there was a part in there that is some kind of lower air dam or lip. It's a clear smoked color.

Is this used to direct cool air to the intercooler ?
Was it supposed to be installed by the dealer ?
How beneficial is this part. Should I install it, and if so, is it as easy to install as it appears ?

Sorry to ask so many questions. Inquiring minds want to know :lol:

·
SRT-4 Guru (Tech Team)
1,073 Posts
It helps cooling, aerodynamics, and looks...

Install it according to the instructions on the sticker on the back.

The dealer should have installed it during the pre-delivery inspection.

-Doc

JeffW said:
I just picked up my new SRT-4 today. When I checked the trunk, there was a part in there that is some kind of lower air dam or lip. It's a clear smoked color.

Is this used to direct cool air to the intercooler ?
Was it supposed to be installed by the dealer ?
How beneficial is this part. Should I install it, and if so, is it as easy to install as it appears ?

Sorry to ask so many questions. Inquiring minds want to know :lol:

·
Registered
287 Posts
mine is still there is it really needed? its the damn thing on cars that scrape every time you pull in your drive way or over speed bumps and think WTF just fucked up my car? I really don't think it does much
later

·
Registered
37 Posts
anybody have pics of what this looks like, this is the first time ive heard of this

·
Registered
287 Posts
its not like part of the bumper its a peice of black plastic that sits a couple of inches to a foot under the car I guess it is supose to direct air up to cool the engine not realy sure it does much? but it scrapes everything! next time you see a car look under neath the front almost every car has them
later

·
Registered
903 Posts
If it was so necessary they would have put it on themselves, not leave it in the trunk. If it cooled the engine down because if it wasn't there your engine would explode (then it would be necessary) then DCX would have put it on the car before they got to the dealers.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I doubt its for cooling. I mean if you look in front of it where its mounted under the car, where is the air going to go? Theres no space. I'm pretty sure its there to deflect rocks/ debris from hitting your oil pan and power steering cooler.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I talked to my service manager today. He said it is for cooling. They are not installed at the factory because they would scrape on the train rail cars and the transport trucks. Each dealership is supposed to install them when the cars come off the truck.
Mine was just laying loose in the trunk. Took me all of about 10 minutes to install. So far it hasn't scraped on any speed bumps, driveways, etc.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Air Dam

This piece is used to create negative pressure behind it when moving. This negative pressure helps to direct more air across your intercooler and radiator. Yes, it does scrape on low clearances but, your performance may be slightly enhanced so why not put it on.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.