Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the dealer yesterday, guy asked if I had done hood mod, to which I replyed no. He said, try running without the airbox lid. So tonight I thought I would give it a shot. Gees, you can hear the turbo, and bov so much better. In addition, I had just installed a K&N. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
i did the hood mod ..
but i also drove around w/o the lid.. sounds badass
i can hear the bov alot more .. but i didnt notice a change in the turbo..

·
Registered
243 Posts
Where did you set the plugs that screw into the airbox if you removed it?

If you look real close, it almost looks like you can remove the entire airbox (top and bottom), and make it like a WAI. I just don't know where I would attach the plugs.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
which is bad .. beacuse the turbo runs the engine hot enough !!
i suppose you could get a chromed pip and an aluminum housing built .. or just wait til one is made .. i didnt remove the whole airbox just the lid.. if you take the airbox out you'll get a cel.. because you'll be down a sensor :(

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Look for my How To about the hood mod. It has instructions on how to do it. Running with the airbox lid off is going to allow the engine to heat the air, and that's bad. The hood mod requires that you cut a hole in the airbox lid (where the circle is) and in the hood to let the hood scoop feed cold air into the box.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
ebbtide , i hope you dont think im running w/ the airbox off :)
i drove to the hardware storee with it off while doing the hood scoop mod.. it made neet swirly noise tho :D

·
Registered
5,325 Posts
I ran my car with the lid off for a week and never got a cel, the turbo seemed to spool faster to! I think if you cut a 4 inch circle out of the bottom of the stock box and then ran a tube from there to the lower front of the car it would make a difference ( more air). I think for the hood mod to work you would have to be hauling ass. And you would need to plug the holes that go to the turbo. So it would direct to the air box.

sort of off the subject but.....

I read an interesting test that this guy Joe did at www.chicanesport.com (he builds 500 to 850 hp street driven Saleens)he did a test to see what the tempature difference was under the hood of a moving supercharged car compared to inside the fender(CAI) and there wasn't that much of a difference in temp when the car was moving. He gained 8hp more on the car with the filter under the hood, than the car with the filter in the fender, because it had less bends in the inlet pipe. And the two temps where almost the same in a moving car because the air moves when you are driving. So I don't think the horsepower will go down if we don't use the stock air box. But it may go up because of more air flow...I know its a different car but its worth a shot!

Ryan

·
Registered
26,203 Posts
Same test was done at dakota-truck.com back in 2000 with a temp sensor mounted in the intake tube, under hood, in the fender well (not the tire area), and various other places to get a accurate picturer of different areas to place the tube. This was done to determine if Intenseperformance.com 'Z' Tube was worth the money or not for the 4.7 semi-hemi motor.

The results after the analysis was to best place the filter in the front bumper area away from the engine area. Or another good point was brought out of the testing was the closest point for the TB connection (on top of the motor) to the hood or RAM AIR.

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
8) You know it funny that this subject would come up. About 7-8 years ago when I was working for this engine builder we did a test on a early z car. What we where trying to do is determind where it would be a good place to mount a CAI. He first mounted a cone type filter in front of the car, right behind the hood. It was getting cold air but, it wasent getting that blast of cold air. It made a little differance in power. We then remade the intake pipes, so the filter would sit right behind the grill. He tried it again and of course there wher no noticable differances. We went to thunder hill on a test and tune day. We mounted the first one, then we mounted the one I made. he picked up 5 mph at the end of the straight. I later remember reading an article in a motor cycle mag about the ram air on kawi's. They ran a zx-11 in the 1/4 with the ram air open and bloked of. It was a differance of about .03 tenths!! :shock: If I can remember correctly, The ram air was making the equvalint of one lbs boost at about 80 mph. I really dont remember how they got the measerment. But, a sriaght shot of cold air, going to the intake does have benifits!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
8 Participants
manny z
Dodge SRT Forum
The community to discuss high-performance Dodge vehicles from the SRT and PVO groups, SRT-4, SRT-6, SRT-8, and SRT-10. Come join the fun!
Full Forum Listing