Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning everyone; Did what I thought would be "easy" "simply" mods over the weekend on an otherwise bone stock 04. Not planning on major upgrades (Can't do much with emissions in California) so I did the simple stuff needed to freshen it up. Solid motor mounts, added a couple 4awg ground wires, new ignition coil (Stock replacement - not garbage MSD), wires, plugs, oil change, pads/rotors, sway bar bushings and end links, booger shift bushings and the above mentioned AAGP WGA and a K&N Typhoon CAI.

I know the K&N has gotten a bad rap from some but I had one on the last car and did just fine, PLUS, it is CARB approved so I can still pass the visual at the emissions station.

However, double and triple checked vac lines, connectors, etc after install. Went for a victory lap when all was said and doen and I am boosting WAY to much now (spiked the stock gauge over 20) and have a hanging idle around 2K for 5-10 seconds when I let off the gas. Followed AGP's instructions (and have swapped several of these in the past), adjusted the actuator down to where there's almost no tension on the rod and still sever over boost at 3/4 to full throttle and temporary high idle after decel.

Any suggestions/input are appreciated.

·
Premium Member
4,248 Posts
you need to do a boost leak test. Almost guarantee you have a hose that has popped off which is causing your high idle and overboost. The high boost spike from the wastegate being set too stiff probably blew a line off elsewhere. All lines should at minimum be ziptied so they cannot come off. i mean ALL vacuum lines!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Appreciate the info; Was thinking something to that effect. Double checked all connections but did not tie them down. I know the stock boots are old/worn anyway. Going to order the replacement vac line setup from Modern performance and just replace the lot. Preventative maint and hopefully will find any loose connections in the process.

·
Premium Member
4,248 Posts
Appreciate the info; Was thinking something to that effect. Double checked all connections but did not tie them down. I know the stock boots are old/worn anyway. Going to order the replacement vac line setup from Modern performance and just replace the lot. Preventative maint and hopefully will find any loose connections in the process.
sounds like a good plan. If possible, you'll still benefit from a good boost leak test.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Was going to order the one from AGP; Hit them up this morning and they "think" they might have installed the wrong spring in the WGA that was sent so I'll take it apart as well and see.

Gonna dig through the forum as I'm pretty sure there are instructions on how to build/use a boost leak tester on your own on here somewhere...

·
Premium Member
4,248 Posts
Was going to order the one from AGP; Hit them up this morning and they "think" they might have installed the wrong spring in the WGA that was sent so I'll take it apart as well and see.

Gonna dig through the forum as I'm pretty sure there are instructions on how to build/use a boost leak tester on your own on here somewhere...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alright; Pulled the WGA out last night and verified it has the correct spring. Also checked every single vacuum hose under the hood and could not find anything disconnected/damaged. Made sure everything was routed right and tightened connection points with zip ties.

Fire it up and go around the block, STILL hanging idle and super high boost. Tried -readjusting the actuator rod down. No joy. BUT still no check engine light, or codes stored according to the OBD scanner.

This is not my first skittle, and I am a half way decent mechanic. But this is driving me bat sh*t crazy right now. Assistance/input from anyone is appreciated. I'm located in Seattle is there is anyone local that can help. Feeling pretty embarrassed and defeated at the moment over something that "should" be simple.

·
Premium Member
4,248 Posts
Alright; Pulled the WGA out last night and verified it has the correct spring. Also checked every single vacuum hose under the hood and could not find anything disconnected/damaged. Made sure everything was routed right and tightened connection points with zip ties.

Fire it up and go around the block, STILL hanging idle and super high boost. Tried -readjusting the actuator rod down. No joy. BUT still no check engine light, or codes stored according to the OBD scanner.

This is not my first skittle, and I am a half way decent mechanic. But this is driving me bat sh*t crazy right now. Assistance/input from anyone is appreciated. I'm located in Seattle is there is anyone local that can help. Feeling pretty embarrassed and defeated at the moment over something that "should" be simple.
again, the boost leak test is going to be your best first thing to try. The high idle could be a blown out intake manifold gasket (very common). That would show up during a boost leak test.

try throwing the stock wastegate back on and see where your boost is at.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have a post on how I made a boost leak tester for a stock turbo as well. The brass fittings and radiator hose (for a big truck) and the PVC cap shouldn’t set you back very much. The one Gump posted is by far the most popular, but I was able to slap one together with stuff I had laying around in my shop. Don’t have a link to it, but my profile or a search should bring it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have a post on how I made a boost leak tester for a stock turbo as well. The brass fittings and radiator hose (for a big truck) and the PVC cap shouldn’t set you back very much. The one Gump posted is by far the most popular, but I was able to slap one together with stuff I had laying around in my shop. Don’t have a link to it, but my profile or a search should bring it up.

Found it!

HOW-TO: Another Boost Leak Tester

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Throwing the stocker on will be tonight's project for sure; As far as the intake mani gasket, idle was perfectly fine (as was the normal boost levels) before I messed around and change the WGA and intake. Don't know how I would have disturbed the manifold gasket in that process but will definitely check it out.

Unfortunately I am one of the "essential personnel" who has been working through this whole madness that's been going on and don't have a compressor at my apt to use for a boost leak test so will need to figure out another option.

·
Premium Member
4,248 Posts
Throwing the stocker on will be tonight's project for sure; As far as the intake mani gasket, idle was perfectly fine (as was the normal boost levels) before I messed around and change the WGA and intake. Don't know how I would have disturbed the manifold gasket in that process but will definitely check it out.

Unfortunately I am one of the "essential personnel" who has been working through this whole madness that's been going on and don't have a compressor at my apt to use for a boost leak test so will need to figure out another option.
The stock gasket is paper. So if it's original and you just sent more pressure through it than it's ever dealt with before... it can easily blow it out. I'm not saying that, that is your issue, but it could be.

I haven't missed any work due to being "essential" also, so i get not having an abundance of time to work on things.... (posting this from my work computer... haha)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Played with as much as I could last night. Still no joy. Finally bit the bullet and order a new vacuum harness, all 3 solenoids, intake manifold/throttle body gaskets and a boost leak tester. Don't know how I could have screwed ALL of that up by changing a WGA and intake but the car was basically stock when I bought it 2 months ago so changing out some of these parts as preventative maint probably isn't a bad idea anyway.

What's really bothering me is I get the high idle is almost always a vacuum leak on most any car. But I don't see how I am spiking the boost so high simply by changing the WGA and having it set to about as low as it can be. ANd even with the leak tester, if I find an issue I should be LOOSING boost, not way overboosting right? I also still have not thrown any codes.

Other than the one line that comes off the actuator to the solenoid (which I had to take the stock boot off on the actuator end and replace with the slightly larger I.D. hose it came with because the connection fitting on the AGP is slightly larger), nothing else has changed.

I am a half way decent mechanic, and this is not my first skittle (Though it has been a few years since having one) and this is driving me nuts.

·
Premium Member
4,248 Posts
Played with as much as I could last night. Still no joy. Finally bit the bullet and order a new vacuum harness, all 3 solenoids, intake manifold/throttle body gaskets and a boost leak tester. Don't know how I could have screwed ALL of that up by changing a WGA and intake but the car was basically stock when I bought it 2 months ago so changing out some of these parts as preventative maint probably isn't a bad idea anyway.
Preventative maintenance is always a good thing, even if it feels like wasted money. I'm sure your issue is something small.

What's really bothering me is I get the high idle is almost always a vacuum leak on most any car. If I find an issue I should be LOOSING boost, not way overboosting right?
You are correct in that a high idle is almost always a vacuum leak. However that would have to be a vacuum leak AFTER the throttlebody. Vacuum/boost leaks in the boost control lines will almost always cause higher boost. What you could also try is to run the wastegate line straight from the turbo, bypassing the solenoids completely. Doing it that way causes the wastegate to be the only controller of the boost eliminating the PCM trying to control things with the solenoid.

One more thing, if/when you go to replace the intake manifold gasket, be very very very VERY careful tightening down the bolts to the head. The manifolds are very prone to cracking if uneven or too much torque is applied.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Appreciate the heads up; One other thing I noticed last night. Now when I hit the gas I'm puffing smoke out the tail pipes. Definitely was not doing that before.

Did my overboosting blow some internal seal/seals somewhere? I'm gonna be pretty upset is a $100 WGA cost me a motor because I was stupid.

·
Premium Member
4,248 Posts
Appreciate the heads up; One other thing I noticed last night. Now when I hit the gas I'm puffing smoke out the tail pipes. Definitely was not doing that before.

Did my overboosting blow some internal seal/seals somewhere? I'm gonna be pretty upset is a $100 WGA cost me a motor because I was stupid.
how many miles are on the motor?

·
Premium Member
4,248 Posts
i would say its less likely the motor is smoking and more likely the turbo. But of course, over the internet its very difficult to help diagnose.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Meaning the Turbo is smoked/bearing shot possibly? I get the boost issue figured out I'll chase the smoke down.

To be clear on a previous post; I would run the green line from the turbo to the WGA to bypass the PCM correct? And see if that helps or proves that the WG is a go/no go? Will try it with both the AGP and Stock one to see if anything changes.

Thanks again for all the help

·
Premium Member
4,248 Posts
i dont remember the colors of the factory hoses... i havent had them in years.

But yes, you can run a line from one of the nipples on the turbo straight to the wastegate. This will bypass the solenoid and the wastegate itself will control boost level (boost should be really low like this, but adjustable higher with the AGP.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts