Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
12,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone please answer me this. If I put on the new 12psi wastegate actuator from AGP, but don't put on a boost controller, what happens?
Will I be able to hold my stock 12 to redline and that's it? Will the turbo spool faster?

I have a MBC right now, but I'm considering taking it off until I can find a way to stop throwing these stupid 1188 codes.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
How long did it take for you to throw that 1188 code?

·
Registered
11,093 Posts
It should hold 12psi. Not sure if it will hold it up to redline, but with that MBC no doubt it will hold it to red line.

Wait, i think stock 11psi is held to redline if i recall on the stock setup now.

·
Registered
12,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
boost

Price is $150. I'll post pictures when mine shows up, if you'd like.

As far as the 1188, it usually only takes a day, 2 max for me to throw the code. :(

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Hmmm, I have had mine on for a week now, and even hit the 17psi cut off today, with no code yet,....strange

·
Registered
12,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
CEL's

It's strange. It's not the overboost code, but the TIP sensor that's throwing the CEL. But no matter how careful I try to drive, I keep spooling too fast at part throttle and getting a CEL. :(

·
Registered
11,093 Posts
I have been experimenting with my e01. I set it so that you dont hit full boost till past 2500 rpm so I dont trigger that TIP. I dont have my scan tool anymore so I cant really tell if I have any pending codes.

·
Supporting Vendor (Gold)
2,023 Posts
This is the AGP actuator.

You can raise boost with this without any other boost controller, but it wouldn't be very steady. Not really the right way to do it.

Kevin

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
Z1500 said:

You can raise boost with this without any other boost controller, but it wouldn't be very steady. Not really the right way to do it.

Kevin
Tell me that isn't $150 bucks. . . :roll:

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Re: boost

Pit Viper said:
As far as the 1188, it usually only takes a day, 2 max for me to throw the code. :(
I could get the 1188 easily...but only on 5th gear...so far. All it takes for me is let it spool fast and not hold it to the floor. But, during "hunting", 17psi is good without any CEL (And I could almost see the gas guage go down every second :twisted: )... as long as I'm in full pursuit (floor the gas pedal).

On cruise, I have to maintain a consistant 0+ vacum or else CEL go ding!

·
Registered
4,113 Posts
el_jefe said:
Z1500 said:

Kevin
make one, make one. I agree 150 is way too much. Competition should bring the price down 8)

·
Supporting Vendor (Gold)
2,023 Posts
You know, we usually price things by whatever guys on the internet want to pay for them. But this time we decided to calculate how much the components cost and add in the time we have bending, cutting, threading, and welding. And since we are the manufacture we have to set a pricing structure so our dealers can make some profit too.
The hp:$ ratio is quite a bit better than just about anything else you can buy for your car. Do you think a $500 cat back will give you 1hp per $5?

Kevin
www.agpturbo.com

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
RedSRT4Me said:
el_jefe said:
Z1500 said:

Kevin
make one, make one. I agree 150 is way too much. Competition should bring the price down 8)

thats a GOOD price, have you ever priced Wastegate actuators? hell a STOCK Wastegate actuator for a stealth is almost $200... and this part from AGP comes with a custom made mounting bracket.. $150 is a deal...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Ok im confused now (go figure). I thought that the stock boost control was based on a bleed off setup. IE I thought that the ECU bleeds off X psi so that X+4 (4=stock wastegate spring) to get the boost needed. If you replaced the wastegate spring to 12 psi wouldnt you be boosting 8 extra psi if you werent running a MBC? Someone please clarify.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Matt Monett
2000 Viper GTS ACR [email protected] @3600ft
1995 Dodge Stealth RT TT [email protected] @3600ft
1993 Dodge Stealth RT TT [email protected] @3600ft
1995 Stealth RT TT Stock (1 owner, 67K miles)
1991 Stealth RT TT Stock
1992 3000gt VR-4
1998 WS-6 Ram Air T/A
1991 Spirit RT turbo 221,000 miles and still going (honda killer)

holy shit much $ ?? :shock:

·
Registered
11,093 Posts
BrianRT said:
Ok im confused now (go figure). I thought that the stock boost control was based on a bleed off setup. IE I thought that the ECU bleeds off X psi so that X+4 (4=stock wastegate spring) to get the boost needed. If you replaced the wastegate spring to 12 psi wouldnt you be boosting 8 extra psi if you werent running a MBC? Someone please clarify.
THe ECU opens and closes the boost solenoid when it sees X amount of manifold pressure. So chances are that if you install the unit, and your now have a 12psi base boost, then the ecu might leave the stock solenoid open because its happy with the amount of boost seen.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Exhaust Depot said:
THe ECU opens and closes the boost solenoid when it sees X amount of manifold pressure. So chances are that if you install the unit, and your now have a 12psi base boost, then the ecu might leave the stock solenoid open because its happy with the amount of boost seen.
Ok lets just step through this. Initially the wastegate and FBCS are closed. If the FBCS never opened then boost would be equal to the wastegate spring. For the example, lets say the ECU has calculated it wants 14 lbs of boost. Does the ECU start bleeding when the boost stops risng? Is that when it knows the wastegate is being forced open? Sorry for all the questions but its the only way I will ever learn!

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
About this Discussion
57 Replies
31 Participants
ripcuda
Dodge SRT Forum
The community to discuss high-performance Dodge vehicles from the SRT and PVO groups, SRT-4, SRT-6, SRT-8, and SRT-10. Come join the fun!
Full Forum Listing