Dodge SRT Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. My dealership is closed tomorrow and I want to change my oil. Anyone get a replacement oil drain plug and gasket through any third party auto stores? I tried searching online at several retailers but they do not have a part number for our cars. I'm wondering if we have the same size oil plug/gasket as another vehicle or if anyone else has bought one and can chime in with the correct part #,maufac..etc

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
some auto parts stores have replacement plugs for standardized sizes, they often have a catalogue but I doubt it would list the srt-4, worth trying but not likely to list our vehicle. The SRT-4 has an oil pan that is unique to the vehicle , otherwise I would think some other vehicle plug would work. Is there a reason why you need a new oil plug to do an oil change ?, unless it is stripped they usually last a very long time.

·
Registered
129 Posts
what about the gasket itself? I was always told to change that whenever the oil is changed. I just figured with most aftermarket plugs it comes with the gasket too so I'd do both.
The gasket is a way to make more money. Unless you see oil dripping from the drain plug, I haven't found a reason to replace the gasket on any of the cars that I"ve changed the oil on. The closest I've gotten to replacing the gasket is with Mom's Honda. It's an aluminium washer and it does deform a little when the dealer changes the oil on her car. And it's also when I cuss and bitch because I can't get the f'ing plug loose. Just be sure to clean everything with a paper towel before you put it back together and you should be fine.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
the only thing that resembles a gasket is a red rubber piece on the plug but it doesnt get replaced with every oil change, it gets re-used and remains on the plug for a long time. I ended up stripping my original plug and was given a new plug from a dealer, it no longer uses any such rubber piece as the stock plug had, this new plug supersedes the old plug and has a different design to it.

·
Registered
741 Posts
instylz said:
Hey guys. My dealership is closed tomorrow and I want to change my oil. Anyone get a replacement oil drain plug and gasket through any third party auto stores? I tried searching online at several retailers but they do not have a part number for our cars. I'm wondering if we have the same size oil plug/gasket as another vehicle or if anyone else has bought one and can chime in with the correct part #,maufac..etc

Thanks!
Why? the stock plug works very well and it have built-in o-ring. Not like my 3000GT that requires a copper gasket.

Percy

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.