Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I’ve never posted here before, but I think I have read every topic here at least once haha. I am very interested in the srt, but I live in Ohio (near Cincinnati) so I just get to sit back and wait.

My question is, the car is dual exhaust from factory and has the body molding for that. I have read that the best flowing exhaust is a single out (maybe a 3inch cat-back). Will most aftermarket exhaust go with the single out (left rear) or will it dual at the end as it is now only with larger pipes..

Thanks for any replies

·
Registered
207 Posts
Well 4cyl engines only have 1 exhaust manifold, and that is why people say a single exhaust works the best. This is why "dual" exhausts on 4cyl's are not true dual exhausts. Its basically 1 pipe coming down and splitting.
But since the car was designed this way, and the exhaust seems to flow pretty good (isnt a new exhaust part of one of the mopar upgrades?) I would say you will not see a major gain if any, by switching to a single exhaust.

·
Premium Member
14,830 Posts
Guys,

If you check back picture posts, you will find that the exhaust IS a single pipe until just past the back axle. From there is where is gets crazy. It gets into this twisty, turny pipe, which then splits into two. I've read a interview with the PVO guys where they mentioned that the two exhaust tips were specified by the marketing types as a cosmetic nessecity :evil: If you find the right pic, you will see where you could easily just cut the stock pipe and run one right out of the drivers side bumper cutout. Seeing as one of the first cars has gone to a guy who has a company specilizing in aftermaarket exhaust, by the time we get the cars, there should be numerous options. Including Mopar Performance (MP) upgrades.

·
Registered
11,093 Posts
Yes, there is a screwy setup on the stock setup. You could have easily made it a straight piece coming out the back. The only problem is that you will have a hole in the rear bumper with no tip in it. Maybe ill make a single exhaust also? It will be alot easier to do but it will look funny with a missing tip.

I am thinking of making a 3" turbo back and using one a mandrel bent y section and reduce it to a 2.25" or a 2.5". I know you guys will probly say, why bother going down to s 2.25"? Well if you put two 2.25" pipes together, its equal to a 4.5" single pipe. It will also be easier to make a dual 2.25" piping compared to a 3" dual piping.

Here is a pic of the spaggetti dual setup.

·
Premium Member
14,830 Posts
3" straight pipes have been used for years with great success on the 2.2/2.5 turbo Dodges. I'm thinking straight back with a very modest tip. Like three inches :) I would either leave the other whole empty or make a filler plate. It would be obvious, but those in the know would realize why that was empty. BTW, the pic is too dark to make out. You must admit, mandrel bend or not, straight is best. Anything else is a compromise. I'm not against compromise, but it should have a better reason, to my mind anyway.

·
Registered
11,093 Posts
STraight pipe for sure is a great setup. I will go ahead and do both though I am sure the dual will sell alot more just like the ptcruisers. Most of them purchase a dual setup.

I doubt you will notice any preformance gains between a dual and single setup. A 2.5" system is good for 450HP per cory bell. So a 3" system spliting into a dual will not really be an issue. But for the sake of having variety I will make them both.

Ill try to get a clearer pic of the spagettii tailpipes.

·
Premium Member
14,830 Posts
We can't say for sure with the SRT, but the in 2.2 crowd, those that have gone from 2.5 to 3 have said they wished they had gone with 3 to start. I agree, the duals will sell better. But I appreciate your willingness to do both.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
I don't think I would want the single exhaust without some bumper work to cover the hole or something like that. Altho, a single pipe w/dual outlet right in the middle, like a viper gts, might look kinda cool....

·
Premium Member
5,578 Posts
like this? :wink:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Exhaust Depot said:
I am thinking of making a 3" turbo back and using one a mandrel bent y section and reduce it to a 2.25" or a 2.5". I know you guys will probly say, why bother going down to s 2.25"? Well if you put two 2.25" pipes together, its equal to a 4.5" single pipe. It will also be easier to make a dual 2.25" piping compared to a 3" dual piping.
2 - 2.25" pipes is NOT equal to one 4.5" pipe. Remember, it is AREA, not LENGTH.

2.25" diameter pipe equals 3.976 sq inches
4.5" diameter pipe equals 15.904 sq inches

So 3.976 x 2 = 7.952 sq inches - NOT EVEN CLOSE TO 15.904.

Note: 3" diameter pipe equals 7.068 sq inches - YES, THAT'S RIGHT - ONE 3" exhaust is almost the same as 2 2.25" pipes. Crazy how area works, eh?

·
Registered
11,093 Posts
[/quote]

2 - 2.25" pipes is NOT equal to one 4.5" pipe. Remember, it is AREA, not LENGTH.

2.25" diameter pipe equals 3.976 sq inches
4.5" diameter pipe equals 15.904 sq inches

So 3.976 x 2 = 7.952 sq inches - NOT EVEN CLOSE TO 15.904.

[/quote]

Actually I stand corrected. You are right. I forgot all about that 2 x pie formula for a circle. To make it easier to understand you can look it at as a 4" square pipe.

A 4" sqaure pipe has an area of 16".

two square pipes have a total area of 32

One 8" square pipe has a total area of 64"!!

I know for some having a void on the right side will not be to good. So maybe I can make a full 3" to the rear left side and attach a dummy pipe to exit on the right side? I know a straignt 3" will be better than having a 3" partition into a dual 3", straighter flow. It does sound kind of gay though.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Exhaust Depot said:
Actually I stand corrected. You are right. I forgot all about that 2 x pie formula for a circle. To make it easier to understand you can look it at as a 4" square pipe.

A 4" sqaure pipe has an area of 16".

two square pipes have a total area of 32

One 8" square pipe has a total area of 64"!!

I know for some having a void on the right side will not be to good. So maybe I can make a full 3" to the rear left side and attach a dummy pipe to exit on the right side? I know a straignt 3" will be better than having a 3" partition into a dual 3", straighter flow. It does sound kind of gay though.
How can you forget what the area of a circle is? How long have you been in the exhaust buisness?

JC

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
9 Participants
Exhaust Depot
Dodge SRT Forum
The community to discuss high-performance Dodge vehicles from the SRT and PVO groups, SRT-4, SRT-6, SRT-8, and SRT-10. Come join the fun!
Full Forum Listing