Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,830 Posts
So exactly where is this thing bolting up to? Turbo? Then where does the filter end up? Down in the wheel well? If we had a really restrictive intake system, I would buy off, but I don't think the gains would be worth it.

·
Premium Member
5,578 Posts
and the shipping weight is 15 pounds? no thank you, ill just cut a hole in the hood. probably about $150 too.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
I think if i were gonna get one, i'd go with the short ram intake as opposed to the full cold air intake. i don't think it makes that much of a difference on a turbo application because your just gonna be heating the air anyways once it gets compressed. i dunno. :roll:

·
Registered
867 Posts
What?.....A bigger, free flowing intake could only help. What won't help is it sucking in hot air radiated from the engine. And if it were to be an "cold air intake" it would pull air from a cool area i.e. under the car. Intercooler....is for after the turbo....
Whatever....
I'll get an intake that works with the air box and the hood mod and you do whatever and well see who has the bigger dyno.
-James

·
Registered
113 Posts
Its not going to keep your turbo cooler but it will keep your intake tempretures down in comparison to an open element and can decrease pressure loss compared to the stock setup.
Let me ask you this question.
If you place a glass of water that is 100 degrees in the freezer for 1 minute and then take it out, will it be the same tempreture as a glass of water that started at 70 degrees and went through the same cooling?
Just because it is intercooled doesnt mean that it cant benifit just as much from a CAI as a NA.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Well you cant ram air though a turbo for one and if you are talking about ran air on a NA engine than the effects are very slight and are only seen at very high speeds.

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
Ya, the pressure that air naturaly come into the engine at high speed isn't much more than the engine just sucking it in. Ram air is just a fancy way of calling a cold air intake that is pretty direct into the throtle body or carb. sorry if this lessens anyones manhood. The cooler the air starts out the cooler it will be after the intercooler. For all practical purposes modifieing the hood for the CAI is the best and cheapest way to do it. OH YA and buy a stock K&N filter and that will improve your performance just as much as that AEM CAI will. Infact the hood mod will probebly pull in cooler air unless you build a box around that AEM CAI. IMO :)

·
Registered
867 Posts
Well you cant ram air though a turbo for one and if you are talking about ran air on a NA engine than the effects are very slight and are only seen at very high speeds.

Yes, and no. I work on turbo jet engines and have seen the differences in tunnel runs with different temps and induction set-ups ( with and with out inlets and in and out of commartments). These all have an effect on the torque and horse-power. Two facts in gains were more air and cool air. Cool air worked better than more air because one can only put so much in compared to how cold you can get it. Yes, these are totally different air pumps, and exposeres but the in general, the theories are the same.

A general rule is Cooler is better. Before the inlet charge and after. Before the turbo and after. To have a cool pressure before the presureizing system can only help the system. In extreme conditions, the air can become overheated and impose heated temps to the turbo. It then heats those heated air charges, the intercooler does its job but it isn't enough and the computer puts the car in safe mode because it picks up the temp before the TB to prevent pre-det. To prevent this better intercoolers are used and/or cooling systems implemented. i.e. N2O and CO2, chillers or water injection and/or misting systems. All used to make charge temps drop. So a more explosive bang can be had and power produced.
Cooler is always better.

And to say that RAM air effect are only seen at very high speed and slight effect is seen is like saying the same thing about a P&P HEADS.
AIR PUMP. More in more out. Like a straw.

Maybe Injen well make a better system, I want an intake with the filter protected from the heat raditated from the engine. Alluminim shielding maybe. And as far as the hood, I'll find a way to make it more funtional.

-James

·
Registered
582 Posts
Logic would suggest that a Ram air would work on a turbo, because it would help spin the turbine, now how much? Probably not enough to write home about but so i'll drop it and try not to get to technical on it. But i'll agree with the colder part :D

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Its not going to spin the turbo faster than the exhaust will. As AcidDryno said, more air colder air is better. I've already moded the hood, and I can't see a CAI working any better than the stock inlet or the stock w/the hood mod.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
I can see that the turbo won't spin any faster than the exhaust will flow (common logic?), my main concern or improvement would try to figure out a way to cool the turbo more effectively. I've seen some of you Fl. folks post how it will actually "glow" when it heats up. Maybe if we put our heads together, we can improve the life span of the turbo? Like I said, I'm not concered with the amt of air getting in (that's the turbo's job and it can only compress some much air at a certain psi) than I am with just the cooler air.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
About this Discussion
47 Replies
20 Participants
WarPainted
Dodge SRT Forum
The community to discuss high-performance Dodge vehicles from the SRT and PVO groups, SRT-4, SRT-6, SRT-8, and SRT-10. Come join the fun!
Full Forum Listing