Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone!

I've been lurking the forum for a while, decided to sign up and post finally. Hopefully this is in the correct section, I tried to check the rules/etc, but I don't see any other posts here, so I'm not sure.

Anyway, it's looking like I'm going to be getting a promotion from a student position to a full-time job in two weeks, and I'm looking to get an SRT-4, but I can't seem to find many close to me.

Currently, here's everything that comes up when I search 'srt4' on my local craigslist, including nearby areas. (Note: the ACR is gone, I already e-mailed the guy.)

I've never been into cars, and have next-to-no knowledge, really. I understand that the cars can be temperamental and subject to issues, especially the more that has been done to them. I have a friend that can help me learn some basic stuff and that will be able to go with me to look at any cars I go to look at, but I just figured I'd ask all of you first. I also have another vehicle to drive if the SRT is having issues, so I won't be stranded if something's broke and I'm too dumb to fix it.

That all being said, what scares me the most about most of those cars is the miles. I don't mind dropping serious cash down the road if something major goes wrong, but I don't want to be stuck with a blown engine or something 3 months after purchase.

So far this Black 05 with 110K miles is looking like the best candidate. My price range is up to $8K USD or so, so buying that and having the clutch replaced would be fine by me. But there could be other issues as well.

This Red '03 w/ Stage 2 is also something I'd like, but it's got 143K miles. Isn't th pretty high to be charging 8K for, and in need of some pretty serious maintenance soon?

Other than that the other SRTs in the search results haven't much jumped out at me. There's a silver one that needs a turbo, etc, but I'm just not sure.

I would be really thankful if you guys could give me some advice!
Thank you all for your time.

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Wow I thought you were my buddy up in Oregon for a second. I hate black neons, but I'd go for that. But.... A clutch = money. It'll require "while you're in there" parts. You'll need a throwout bearing, might as well pick up a brass pivot ball, a throwout fork (DCR or Wikyd Performance fork... OEM don't last as long!!), and a clutch. Paying someone to do it will cost at least 400 bucks. And that's if you know someone. Its a bitch to do by yourself if you don't know what you're doing.
A silver one that needs a turbo? You can pick up used good working stock turbos all day for 100 bucks. You better make damn sure its the turbo and not them trying to hide bad piston rings.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow I thought you were my buddy up in Oregon for a second. I hate black neons, but I'd go for that. But.... A clutch = money. It'll require "while you're in there" parts. You'll need a throwout bearing, might as well pick up a brass pivot ball, a throwout fork (DCR or Wikyd Performance fork... OEM don't last as long!!), and a clutch. Paying someone to do it will cost at least 400 bucks. And that's if you know someone. Its a bitch to do by yourself if you don't know what you're doing.
A silver one that needs a turbo? You can pick up used good working stock turbos all day for 100 bucks. You better make damn sure its the turbo and not them trying to hide bad piston rings.
I'm up in washington, so pretty close!

Yeah, I don't like the black color much myself, but if it really tears me up I can just pay to have it painted. Since the guy is only asking 5500, I can pay the difference to have someone install the clutch and the other parts, that's not a huge concern to me.

So the black one seems worth pursing then? I fired the guy off an e-mail earlier so I'll see what I hear back.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts