Dodge SRT Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my car started to PING like crazy. I was heading to teh track and decided to put in some toulene ontop of my 94 for some insurance, about half a gallon and then drove about 10km's and i hammered it in 2nd gear and it started to stumble and thats when i heard the loud knock/rattle from underneath my hood. I got worried so i thought maybe my map clamp was getting defective, so i took it off and still rattled like crazy. At this point i was fustrated because i drove 2 hrs with my slicks in the trunk hoping to beat my old time of high 12s but noooooooo it just had to ping.

I then reset the computer.... umm no made it worse doh!!! I then reset my timing and that made it even Worse :eeeek: finally gave up and when home before something was going to break (ring lands), tommorow im going to fill it up with a fresh tank of 94 and see if the problem reacurs, and if it does then somethign is really fishy here :( btw my boost levels are 18psi dropping to 15.5psi in 4th, 3rd is about the same and ive never had detonation problems in the past with this car. What had me worried was that this detonation was really loud and not some slight ping that some cars will get on 91... ah wells ill update you guys tommorow.

·
Registered
758 Posts
strange....never had trouble when I used the stuff....always makes my car ride strong and smooth....maybe your octane was to high...? what ratio of fuel to tolulene? maybe you have to strong of a mix?

I seem to remember reading someplace that there is a limit to how much is good and how much is to much...

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Did you mix in a capful of ATF?

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok this may sound weird, but i had no tranny fluid around or marvel mystery oil sitting around so i put in a cap of 2 stroke oil in teh half gallon of toluene for lubrication. This is really bothering me now as this detonation/rattle was pretty intense and as it was happening , the car was hesitating as well.

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
contraption22 said:
Makes me wonder if you killed your fuel pump and it's going lean.
Funny you should mention that because I was thinking the same thing also. I gotta hook up a scanner on this car and comfirm that its detonation im hearing wich i think it is because while this is happening the car hesitates and it sputters meaning timing is being pulled. Very odd i tell you, I will update you guys tommorow when i fill the tank up with 94 octane from a different station. Hrmmm.... i wonder if the cold 50deg weather had something to do with the detonation? eheh

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update

well guys i put in 20 bucks of 94 in my car and it seems that my car drives alot better now lol, i hammered it in 2nd and 3rd in teh rain at low rpm and it seems to be ok. So word of advice, do not put in ALOT of toulene into your tank cause it is a very hard fuel to burn by itself. ED, what and how much should i mix into a half tank?

Danny

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.