Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had an ABS light on, bought the ABS module from eBay because the dealer can't get new. They install one from a parts dealer with a 6 month warranty. Correct part and light goes out, but as I leave the dealer light comes on again. Two bad in a row? I can't believe the seller would give a warranty on a part not known to be working. Oddly enough, I have a third, also eBay.

Maybe it's wiring? Anybody have this problem? The light was intermittent for weeks, then stayed on constantly.

·
Administrator
38,902 Posts
A dealer or most parts stores will have a code reader that will pull the abs module codes and tell you what's wrong. It won't show up on a PCM/cel check.

I agree it's probably a wheel speed sensor and unless you suck at driving or live where it's icy most of the winter I'd just leave it be. I have for at least 7 years.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
A dealer or most parts stores will have a code reader that will pull the abs module codes and tell you what's wrong. It won't show up on a PCM/cel check.

I agree it's probably a wheel speed sensor and unless you suck at driving or live where it's icy most of the winter I'd just leave it be. I have for at least 7 years.
I agree, getting the codes from the ABS computer with the appropriate tool should be the first step.
I had a similar problem when the wire to the wheel sensor got shredded because the shop didn't secure it with a tie wrap when installing SS lines.

Wondering if ignoring the ABS light could possibly result in the loss of the anti lock brakes capability?
Could be even more trouble if using summer tires in icy conditions...

·
Administrator
38,902 Posts
If the light is on the abs system is disabled. Only time I've locked up a tire is slow speed on ice, but that's with various 3 season tires and I have not driven the srt in wintery weather, only lingering ice in the shade in front of my house.

·
Super Moderator
15,630 Posts
Check the clip lines that run to the brakes, check the lines to the speed sensors, generally on the neons this is what fails. Mine are broke on the black 2.0 neon, I noticed that whoever the previous owner was, he just pulled the fuse, haha, not much of a fix but I gues that makes the light go out. The fuse for ABS is dedicated, it is the only thing that fuse handles.

I honestly do think the abs makes a huge difference though, I find this car can lock up the tires so easy while braking, badly last week right next to a deputy sheriff, I gave him the "oops I'm a dumb ass" wave, then turned left.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Check the clip lines that run to the brakes, check the lines to the speed sensors, generally on the neons this is what fails. Mine are broke on the black 2.0 neon, I noticed that whoever the previous owner was, he just pulled the fuse, haha, not much of a fix but I gues that makes the light go out. The fuse for ABS is dedicated, it is the only thing that fuse handles.

I honestly do think the abs makes a huge difference though, I find this car can lock up the tires so easy while braking, badly last week right next to a deputy sheriff, I gave him the "oops I'm a dumb ass" wave, then turned left.
I've activated it a few times in town. Small town but lots of crazy drivers pulling out in front of you . Gives me more piece of mind.One of the guys my building was killed on his bike last year.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
i went to the junk yard.. pulled all the abs sensor from a pt cruiser.. $20 .. swapped into srt4.. problem fixed

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i went to the junk yard.. pulled all the abs sensor from a pt cruiser.. $20 .. swapped into srt4.. problem fixed
The mechanic's not listening. he doesn't think it's the wires or sensors. He implies that I gave him a rusty ABS module that didn't work. I got it from eBay with a six month warranty. He said it was a junkyard part, as if that means it certain not to work.

Sure, but he couldn't tell me where to buy a new one. I happened to have a third. Actually, it looks the best of all three. if that doesn't work, I say it's the sensor.

·
Premium Member
6,823 Posts
I am just going to comment and say, a lot of mechanics these days cannot troubleshoot or have any common sense unless it's on the computer diagnostic machine they hook up to the car, they won't do anything else.

·
Super Moderator
15,630 Posts
I am just going to comment and say, a lot of mechanics these days cannot troubleshoot or have any common sense unless it's on the computer diagnostic machine they hook up to the car, they won't do anything else.
I'll come straight out and say it, despite knowing that some people are here are "ASE certified". That certification isn't worth used toilet paper when it comes to doing actual mechanical (MECHANICS) work. It just means they can read a computer screen, they are "parts replacers", and that is all they are good for. When it comes to pulling an engine apart, planing the head, pulling pistons, wrist pins, bearings, etc, even with the computer telling them exactly how to do it, most of them haven't done it but once or twice at most, and they WILL find some way to F it up.

It is getting harder and harder to find real good engine mechanics, they may not know the codes, but they can look at a spark plug or a head gasket and tell you immediately what is going on. Not ASE...

I've had enough run ins with them at this point that nothing will ever change my mind about them. Most recently the dumb son of a B at one of the most respected dealership put notes on my ecodiesel stating that, because I declined to have a three way coolant valve serviced (a valve that does basically NOTHING), he advised that my warranty be voided. They want nearly 800 dollars to fix it... it is a 15 minute fix, on a part that I believe is under 100 dollars now (and worth 10). I'll do it myself this summer, and no, they aren't voiding my warranty, had words with their general manager about that one :wink:

A.nother
S.stupid
E.mbarrassment

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Amen to that. I had mechanics at three places said they couldn't read diagnostics for the ABS module, they ask if I have a custom PCM program. I say yes and it's, "Oh, that must be it. We can't diagnose unless you put the stock tune back on the PCM."
:frown:

·
Premium Member
3,503 Posts
Cool, our invoices are inbound.......................:grin::laugh:
i said it first (in this thread).... my invoice should get paid first! :grin:

Glad to hear you got it worked out... also glad to hear you now know of some mechanics to NOT take your car back to. Sad when online "mechanics" can diagnose your car better than someone at a shop and we've never even laid hands on your ride....

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Well this happened to me today. Not only that but my left headlight went out. Im pissed because theyre the 50 dollar HID bulbs. I’m wondering if it is rain related.

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
They finally fixed it. Naturally, it was the wheel sensor after they wasted my time and money.
Of course. My SRT-4 will never see a stealership or shop. ALYWAYS search on srtforums or ask here first before taking your car to a random shop. Never heard of a ABS module going out on these cars. Usually the speed sensor on the wheel or low/dirty brake fluid.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts