Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen many posts about the shift knob being glued on and many ways of removing it, but I was wondering one thing. Is the shifter threaded at the top to accept threaded screw on shift knobs? Or will I have to get those generic types of knobs that you have to screw in 3 screws to get it to hold? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That really sucks! I had a knob that had 3 set screws on my current car and the damn things ALWAYS came loose and I'd have to tighten them. :( I know you can glue them and what not, but I didn't want to have to do that. It also rattle when at idle from the slight vibration through the shifter linkage. Anyone know of any nice looking knobs that fit and that stay in place and tight without the use of super glue?

·
Registered
11,093 Posts
I manage to take mine off. I pulled up on it and it came off. I then pushed it back in and now I cant take it off again. I think I will have to tap it out this time. Must have some type of tang inside the knob.

·
Premium Member
5,578 Posts
thread the shifter rod. :lol:

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
hopefully it is smaller in diameter than the 2k2 shift rod.......i have a threading set at home and i didnt have a die big enough to fit around it.....if anybody finds the size let us know :D

·
Registered
109 Posts
It shouldn't be too long before Hurst or B&M make a shift linkage kit for it. Took them about 6 months to both make one for the PT.

Then you can replace the whole thing.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
so where are we on this? i'm very interested in this as it would be my first "mod" im very partial to the setup in a 2000+ and i don't really like the silver knob in the srt. (my friend has a dream cruiser so its a very similar setup and i dont like it!)

does anyone have any links to some good shift knobs that would fit?

thanks guys.

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
use a punch and hamer to tap a small pit where the set screws go, and then use some loctite on the set screws. :wink:

·
Registered
11,093 Posts
The stock shift knob has a tang inside of it. YOu can pull it off if you use both hands and pull hard on it. YOu will see that there is a tang inside the shifter and a notch on the stick. The sticks diameter is about 1/2" or so.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
generic knobs have three screws ??!!
wtf !! dude have you checked out sparco...
or momo .. both have the three screw type.. my momo knob does and it fits great .. btw i paid $80 for the knob .. how is that generic ???

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
oh :oops:

·
Registered
243 Posts
PB Pod said:
It shouldn't be too long before Hurst or B&M make a shift linkage kit for it. Took them about 6 months to both make one for the PT.

Then you can replace the whole thing.
That's what I'm waiting for. I don't wanna take the chance of destroying the existing shifter by doing something wrong. Just gonna wait 3 months.

·
Registered
26,203 Posts
thispainisours said:
generic knobs have three screws ??!!
wtf !! dude have you checked out sparco...
or momo .. both have the three screw type.. my momo knob does and it fits great .. btw i paid $80 for the knob .. how is that generic ???
Any side effects with vibration from the knob or did you glue it?

·
Vendor
6,407 Posts
Modern Performance is working on a direct replacement shift knob for the SRT-4 . It will be an exact replia to stock, except it will polished aluminum, have a very special locking mechanism (so it wont pull off when your power shifting like we did in our srt-4 !!) Pics and price will be available VERY shortly.

This knob will be of the utmost quality, will not have ANY rough casting edges like the stock plastic one, and will look and feel much better than the stock piece..

Also, it will be able to fit stock shift lever as well as the upcoming MPx short throw shifter as well. :D

·
Vendor
6,407 Posts
Also, for what its worth, our special shift knob wont use 3 or 4 of the set screw type pieces that the other universal shift knobs commonly use. We wanted to set ourselves apart from those type of shift knobs as those can come loose over time, and when left exposed in the set screw hole they can have an irritating feeling on your fingers/hands.

·
Registered
26,203 Posts
modernceo said:
Modern Performance is working on a direct replacement shift knob for the SRT-4 . It will be an exact replia to stock, except it will polished aluminum, have a very special locking mechanism (so it wont pull off when your power shifting like we did in our srt-4 !!) Pics and price will be available VERY shortly.

This knob will be of the utmost quality, will not have ANY rough casting edges like the stock plastic one, and will look and feel much better than the stock piece..

Also, it will be able to fit stock shift lever as well as the upcoming MPx short throw shifter as well. :D
Though the purpose of replacing the OEM product, I want the MOMO handle version, which makes it easier for me to shift vice a ball design.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
About this Discussion
19 Replies
14 Participants
NeonWaSp
Dodge SRT Forum
The community to discuss high-performance Dodge vehicles from the SRT and PVO groups, SRT-4, SRT-6, SRT-8, and SRT-10. Come join the fun!
Full Forum Listing