Dodge SRT Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I've been considering adding a new fmic to the car. I know that if you go with anything larger than direct fit, you need to remove the crash bar, and I am a little weary of this.

My first question I guess is how much less safe is the car without a crash bar?

I guess my next question would be, would it be worth like the 650 or so for a spearco direct fit?

·
Banned
862 Posts
i would recommend either one of the agp intercoolers. there is not to much to worry about removing the crash bar. my friend road race and does autoX and he doesn't have one.

·
Registered
588 Posts
go for the BFMI, I mean I highly doubt that the bumper beam which you have to remove is going to protect much going over 60 mph, I mean I really hope that noone in this forum has an accident, specially racing, but if you're going with aftermarket cooler go AGP :) and remove the bumper beam now this is only my opinion, you should also check the stickies on the intercoolers to see which one best fits what you're looking for

·
Registered
992 Posts
I dunno about the rest of the BFMIC's, but the one I stuck on my car weighed more then the crash bar and the stock intercooler put together... I almost feel more safe with that large hunk of metal up front.

Side question, does anyone make a BFMIC that bolts into the stock location AND the crashbar locations?

·
Registered
7,826 Posts
Just get a BFMIC and an aftermarket crashbar from slowboy or bwoody if you feel unsafe taking the stock crashbar off.

I put the MPx BFMIC on my car and love it. Definately felt a nice little gain. Knock went down due to lower intake temps. Bolts right up, no drilling required.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
from what i understand, having a crash bar in will probably save you $$$ in repairs when hit at low speed / fender benders. imagine the FMIC pushing back against your radiator...fan...etc.

·
Registered
89 Posts
As long as you don't get into an accident you will be fine. But if you do expect your car to never have the chance of driving straight again as all that energy will get dristributed unevenly to your frame up front. And it will dramatically increase repair costs, which your insurance company may not cover if the autoshop were to point it out and say how do you want us to fix this since there is no crash bar. After that raises some eyebrows with insurance company they may even try to void your policy and say tuff shit you can pay to fix it since you took off a critical safety element. One that saves insurance companies lots of money.

Then again my buddy hit a deer at 130mph in his brand new mustang gt bullet when they came out. The deer damaged the car so bad that it cracked the engine block. Believe it or not the insurance company had the car rebuilt. He promptly took it and traded it in after it was fixed. Then again he didn't take safety features off the car as it was stock.

·
Registered
588 Posts
wow didn't anyone inquire about the speed of the car when it hit the deer?

·
Registered
89 Posts
An insurance company can't really say anything if there is a dead deer and a smashed car.

If they could everyone that hit a deer wouldn't be covered.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts