Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was swapping my K&N filter back to the stock one, to see if I coulf feel a difference, and when placing the top of the airbox lip back on, one of the screws popped out and wedged between the intercooler and something else. So smart me grabs a long, thin piece of metal and manage to make it drop farther down, but not to the ground. Now I have no idea where it is, except that its nowhere to be found. Should I bother trying to bring it somewhere to have somebody lok for it, or should I leave it as 'out of sight, out of mind'? I drove it to work today, and everything was fine with that.

What do you think?
Steve, 'if it wherent for bad luck, id have no luck' D

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
As long as it's not in the engine, you *should* be fine. It will probably work out as you drive the car. But if you start hearing weird noises, like the belt scrapping or something, i'd stop quick.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for looking, that makes me feel beter, I did see exactly where it went, and it was on the outside of the airbox. I had seen it wede between the intercooler and some other aluminum colored piece. Then I flicked it and it dropped again to somewhere else, but it didnt hit the ground. I dont think it could work its way to the other side of the engine and get in to the engine belts.

But knowing my luck....

Steve

·
Registered
26,203 Posts
magnetic pickup telescopic bar

stevessrt said:
Thanks for looking, that makes me feel beter, I did see exactly where it went, and it was on the outside of the airbox. I had seen it wede between the intercooler and some other aluminum colored piece. Then I flicked it and it dropped again to somewhere else, but it didnt hit the ground. I dont think it could work its way to the other side of the engine and get in to the engine belts.

But knowing my luck....

Steve
Steve, stop by Kragens and ask for the Magnetic Telescopic Pick up bar. It has a little powerful tip that will easily retriev screws. I have done this with open timing belt areas (for high rev RPM motors) by dropping valve cover screws and had to retrieve them.
The cost is around 5.95 each.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, there is always that one tool that you need that you never have in an emergency :( . I am going to pick one up today,...I just wish I knew where it was so I could fish for it.

Steve

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Don't sweat it if you don't find it too, remember, it may have fallen out of the bay on its own by now.

·
Registered
26,203 Posts
SilverBullet said:
I'm always scared of stuff like that happening. I just don't want it to land around the pullies. :cry:
This is a common problem with coil-over spark plugs on hemi heads. People just dropping the screws that attached the coils to the valve covers around the engine bay. :lol:

On the Suzuki Swift Gt, most owners remove the top portion of the timing belt cover to eye the belt due to high-rpm motor. I found this was a big problem while working on these cars by dropping stuff into the lower portion of the cover area. Not a good thing when the crankshaft pulley could be grinded with another metal piece.

·
Registered
34 Posts
stevessrt said:
I was swapping my K&N filter back to the stock one, to see if I coulf feel a difference, and when placing the top of the airbox lip back on, one of the screws popped out and wedged between the intercooler and something else. So smart me grabs a long, thin piece of metal and manage to make it drop farther down, but not to the ground. Now I have no idea where it is, except that its nowhere to be found. Should I bother trying to bring it somewhere to have somebody lok for it, or should I leave it as 'out of sight, out of mind'? I drove it to work today, and everything was fine with that.

What do you think?
Steve, 'if it wherent for bad luck, id have no luck' D
So could you tell the diff between K&N and stock?

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
no, not at all,...and that was the problem, I couldnt feel any type of difference. I still have it, but I'll just hang on to it untill I need to change the original because its dirty, then I will put it back.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
I put the K&N filter on my SRT a few days ago - you're not gonna see any major difference between a brand-new paper filter and the K&N, maybe 1 or even 2% increase. because of the stock design, The most I would expect to see would be 3-4% increase from a solidly dirty paper filter. The paper filter will last until about 10,000 miles, so there's no rush. The K&N should be cleaned every 50,000. but you know all this because you can read the box. I suspect you might slightly higher numbers ona dyno, but as far as fel it? i doubt it.

·
Registered
26,203 Posts
SyberKhanX said:
I put the K&N filter on my SRT a few days ago - you're not gonna see any major difference between a brand-new paper filter and the K&N, maybe 1 or even 2% increase. because of the stock design, The most I would expect to see would be 3-4% increase from a solidly dirty paper filter. The paper filter will last until about 10,000 miles, so there's no rush. The K&N should be cleaned every 50,000. but you know all this because you can read the box. I suspect you might slightly higher numbers ona dyno, but as far as fel it? i doubt it.
What size is the cone and inlet of the K&N? Or which model did you use?

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
I used a cylindrical model - If you run a search on K&N's website, The model they make specifically for the '03 SRT-4 is model# E-1006. That's the model I ordered and installed.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
It was the easiest thing I've ever done to a car -I would load 1 or 2 pics, but I can't find my digital Camera. The K&N comes with a clamp, but from the way the box is, I didn't use it. It sits in perfectly. I think the K&N is a little bigger, but it's the same shape as the paper, so - whatever. It works just fine.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
7 Participants
hemidakota
Dodge SRT Forum
The community to discuss high-performance Dodge vehicles from the SRT and PVO groups, SRT-4, SRT-6, SRT-8, and SRT-10. Come join the fun!
Full Forum Listing