Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed K&N CAI today, it makes great sounds, now my engine sings I love it. However, I found out the lowest point of the filter is only about 6 inches above the ground. I really doubt it can run through some wet grounds.. cos water may get splashed into the filter...
I am not sure how deep do you guys *think* it's a safe range of water depth? I dont wanna end up with a wet engine one day :(

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
superstrongbeast said:
correct... i got rid of myn for a mopar cai that comes with a splash gaurd
splash gaurd... sounds interesting. do you mind if you can take a picture of it? probably i will make one myself.. :p

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
superstrongbeast said:
correct... i got rid of myn for a mopar cai that comes with a splash gaurd
or you can discribe me how it's like... which part of filter it protects?

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can anyone still answer what's the safe range of water depth I should go with?
Even K&N has hydro-blocked not only one engine, but I do see many people are still using it.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Look up the splash guard that PTPerformance makes. Very reasonable price and well built. I think they run in the ballpark of around 24.95ish. Correct me if I'm wrong. Definitely need one of these if you run the K&N especially.

·
Registered
493 Posts
ac_srt4 said:
Can anyone still answer what's the safe range of water depth I should go with?
Even K&N has hydro-blocked not only one engine, but I do see many people are still using it.
Every puddle is different depending on the speed at which you hit it at and what not. I have heard of only a few inches of water that has done damage to motors. You just have to be careful. Look into getting a splash guard. They are an essential item if you run a CAI and especially if you are running the K&N

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)

·
Registered
263 Posts
been running my K&N for almost 2 years with no problems...just have to be careful and make sure your not dipping the front end in water...though NJ is pretty flat for the most part and we dont get huge ammounts of rain usually...can still be cut down or made into short ram though if your dont feel like its safe

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
No

ac_srt4 said:
Also here, I wanna know how do you guys think about bypass valve? Does it really works?
link: http://www.autosportz.com/airintake_aem_bypassvalves.htm
Sorry I didn't find the splash guard there.. >< that will be great if someone can pass me a link.
You CANNOT use a bypass valve on a Turbo motor________5TOEZ_________& that "shield" everybodys tellin ya about, is NOT a sure thing.........if you submerge the filter area,in a deep enough puddle, no shield in the world will stop hydrolock, aka: a blown engine.

·
Registered
137 Posts
fivetoez said:
You CANNOT use a bypass valve on a Turbo motor________5TOEZ_________& that "shield" everybodys tellin ya about, is NOT a sure thing.........if you submerge the filter area,in a deep enough puddle, no shield in the world will stop hydrolock, aka: a blown engine.

Why can't you use a bypass valve on a turbo motor?

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
BoomDoc said:
Why can't you use a bypass valve on a turbo motor?
that makes sense. how bypass valve works is, when water is being sucked from filter, u can then consider the filter is blocked. the engine will suck air from by passvalve then reduce the change of getting hydroblocked.
but a turbo charged engine will produce a low pressure area (almost vacuum) in the tube, when filter is suddenly blocked, i guess too little air can be sucked in from bypass valve, then the engine will run TOO lean thus blow it out..

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hey i got one more question, i guess when i have the CAI on, i wont be able to do those automatic under car wash anymore right? (those drive thru under car wash with engine on)

·
Registered
243 Posts
ac_srt4 said:
that makes sense. how bypass valve works is, when water is being sucked from filter, u can then consider the filter is blocked. the engine will suck air from by passvalve then reduce the change of getting hydroblocked.
but a turbo charged engine will produce a low pressure area (almost vacuum) in the tube, when filter is suddenly blocked, i guess too little air can be sucked in from bypass valve, then the engine will run TOO lean thus blow it out..
Who fed you that line of crap?

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
tsitalon92 said:
Who fed you that line of crap?
then please explain why turbo charged engine shouldn't use bypass valve

·
Registered
8,988 Posts
Get the PTP splash guard and don't swamp boat race your Neon. If you're that worried about it then but the stock airbox in. Period.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts