Dodge SRT Forum banner

321 - 340 of 342 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #321
Today I dropped the fuel tank so I could finish redoing the 5/16 to -6 return line on my car that's been in since it got turbo'd. Found out who ever built the spool boy canister used oil drain seals on their mixture of a bulk head and Barb's, but now it has been replaced with a -6 bulk head, PTFE washers, and all stainless braided line front to back.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #322
Had my replacment oil drain line come in from AGP. I'm glad that I decided to replace it though because after I got the old one out I found out my line had been cracked and who knows how long it's been like that.

Also beings the season is here I got the body kit all cleaned up and refitted on the car. After the kit was all fitted I loaded the car up.

The reason for loading the car up was I took it to a buddies shop so he could make up a new cold side pipe, but he ended up redoing all my charge pipes on the car. Now the car is all finished up and reassembled. Next she needs a wash and to be driven.

·
Premium Member
4,480 Posts
If something ever happens to my srt-4 i'm buying a 1gn to swap the parts into and your car will be its inspiration....

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #324
Well today was an unfortunate one I ran into a slight issue on my way home from work I was cruising the car popped and jolted killing the engine. I sat and waited for a tow home in the mean time I attempted to start the car which it wasn't too happy about and smoked like no other.

After I got the car home I dug into it a little exhaust fumes whisping out of the valve cover vent, removed the valve cover, found it dropped a exhaust valve due to a broken valve spring, and a big puddle of oil out the exhaust.

With the way my time is looking for this year and next year she is going to sit for 2 years.

·
Premium Member
4,480 Posts
Damn. How many miles would you say are on those springs? Any clues as to while it broke?

·
Registered
442 Posts
Well today was an unfortunate one I ran into a slight issue on my way home from work I was cruising the car popped and jolted killing the engine. I sat and waited for a tow home in the mean time I attempted to start the car which it wasn't too happy about and smoked like no other.

After I got the car home I dug into it a little exhaust fumes whisping out of the valve cover vent, removed the valve cover, found it dropped a exhaust valve due to a broken valve spring, and a big puddle of oil out the exhaust.

With the way my time is looking for this year and next year she is going to sit for 2 years.

ive got the valve tools if you need to borrow them

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
So sorry to see this after all the hard work and time you spent on this.
I used to have a 94 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 318 "LA" engine.
I bought it because it was supposed to be a reliable engine.
But at around 75K miles, a valve spring broke and it dropped a valve, just like yours.
I was going to replace the holed motor but decided that $5000 was too expensive.
So I donated it to a Catholic Church charity and received a $3500 tax credit.
But that idea probably won't work now with the all-but-gone current tax deductions.
I've been Leary about Jeeps (Chrysler) ever since although I did buy the SRT-4 a few years later.
No idea why the valve spring took a shit - the vehicle had always been babied with oil changes every 3K.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #328
ive got the valve tools if you need to borrow them

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Sounds good, I'll let you know. Not entirely sure what the plans are for the car yet. If I can't find a good short block or long block it'll be sitting till 2022.

Reactions: Simon.Starkie

·
Registered
442 Posts
Sounds good, I'll let you know. Not entirely sure what the plans are for the car yet. If I can't find a good short block or long block it'll be sitting till 2022.

I sent you a text.. ill try and get his phone number for you.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #330
Well it's my last Monday off for awhile next week I head out to Fort Irwin California till August 5th for NTC conducting military training.

So I decided I wanted to atleast pull the head from Chloe and see the damages that were done beings I can't stand to be in the house while my wife is in daycare hours.

Oil was still pooled in the log manifold when I removed the waste gate.

After pulling the cam caps they all look to be in good condition as well.

Next I pulled the head studs and removed the head with turbo set up and I take manifold still attached to unveil the damage. No exhaust valve to be found in the cylinder as it pushed through the piston. And I'm sure the block can be saved after getting an overbore done to it.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Damn. That's gnarly. You may have said this earlier, but I missed it; what valve springs were you using and how many miles were on them?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #332
Damn. That's gnarly. You may have said this earlier, but I missed it; what valve springs were you using and how many miles were on them?
They were BC springs and retainers, I've had them in the car for close to 8 years with about 50k miles on them.

·
Premium Member
4,480 Posts
damn... thats enough to steer me away from a BC valvetrain...

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
Damage reminds me of my '94 Jeep Grand Cherokee 318 "LA" motor.
It was bone stock and babied with zero modifications and only 75K miles.
Sometimes shit just happens.
Donated in 2003, when we had tax credits, to the Catholic Church Charity for a good price.

·
Registered
442 Posts
They were BC springs and retainers, I've had them in the car for close to 8 years with about 50k miles on them.

Thats what happened to the blue cars motor. I took the block to Muller Performance Machine just north of Windom on 71. He did a .040 overbore and assembled the bottom end for me, spun balanced the motor to 7500. Hes got the torque plate already built.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #336
The bottom end is still unchanged and messed up. but I wanted to do some test fitting.

Am I doing this right?

Took the 420a head off my shelf put the adapter on, fitted the center feed, set the head on the block, and put the log manifold on for giggles.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #337
Well here are some updates. I just got back on the 5th from Fort Irwin, CA and went and bought the donor car on the 6th.

Well I must say the only thing a PT GT is good for is taking the engine out and scrapping the rest they are an absolute nightmare to work on with no space in the engine bay. Purchased the PTGT with 178k miles on it.

Pulled the engine, removed the stock turbo kit, took the auto trans off, removed head, installed head studs, installed new head gasket, installed big turbo kit, pulled oil pan removed balance shaft chain, installed a different oil pan, installed my CM 725 series twin disc, opened my t350 for inspection and reseal, bolted the t350 to the "new" engine, and dropped it all into Chloe. After all that I got all my wiring re ran, heater core lines installed, installed the DCR center feed, dropped the radiator back into place, installed the charge pipes and intercooler, bolted the exhaust back up, and fired her right up

After getting the power plant all set up I moved onto getting the 5zigens swapped from the turbo Stratus and put back on the Neon, as well as having to pull my AFR gauge and boost gauges out so that I could put them back in.

So much for the car sitting till 2022. Now I just need to get it out of the garage wash it up and enjoy the time that I get with it yet this year.

2022 might just be the year that I can get it built the way I want or start focusing on the NYG.

·
Premium Member
4,480 Posts
Awesome! So glad to see you got the car back up and running in such a short amount of time. As i have said before, i really really like your car and it would have been a shame for it to have to sit for so long.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Well here are some updates. I just got back on the 5th from Fort Irwin, CA and went and bought the donor car on the 6th.

Well I must say the only thing a PT GT is good for is taking the engine out and scrapping the rest they are an absolute nightmare to work on with no space in the engine bay. Purchased the PTGT with 178k miles on it.

Pulled the engine, removed the stock turbo kit, took the auto trans off, removed head, installed head studs, installed new head gasket, installed big turbo kit, pulled oil pan removed balance shaft chain, installed a different oil pan, installed my CM 725 series twin disc, opened my t350 for inspection and reseal, bolted the t350 to the "new" engine, and dropped it all into Chloe. After all that I got all my wiring re ran, heater core lines installed, installed the DCR center feed, dropped the radiator back into place, installed the charge pipes and intercooler, bolted the exhaust back up, and fired her right up

After getting the power plant all set up I moved onto getting the 5zigens swapped from the turbo Stratus and put back on the Neon, as well as having to pull my AFR gauge and boost gauges out so that I could put them back in.

So much for the car sitting till 2022. Now I just need to get it out of the garage wash it up and enjoy the time that I get with it yet this year.

2022 might just be the year that I can get it built the way I want or start focusing on the NYG.

SWEET! YOU BOUGHT IT!!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #340
SWEET! YOU BOUGHT IT!!

Yeh I did the price wasn't too bad and just took a little time.

Reactions: lilviper
321 - 340 of 342 Posts