Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Stage 3 has been machined for a TD06SL2R turbine and a 20G compressor.

The higher flowing and lighter 9 blade turbines are becoming available for many popular sized turbos.
Six months ago I saw that the TD06SL2 (normal rotation) turbine became available in a 9 blade version but the exit (exducer) side of the blades had a strong angle kick for added midrange...not the configuration that I would want.

A few months ago a TD06SL2R (reverse rotation) 9 blade turbines showed up in EBay and it came with a high flow gentle blade angle, so I bought one. The 9 blade is about 30 grams lighter than the 11 blade turbine and it should be a "drop in" since Mitsubishi style wheels are balanced after fabrication. The mid and top end power is improved with very little loss in spool up due to the light weight.

For the stock Stage 3 folks a TD05HR 9 blade is also available.

TD06SL2R 11 vs 9 blade turbines

Comparison of TD06SL2R vs the Stage 3 TD05HR turbine

Mentioned above, "should be a drop in"...
When tightening the cartridge to the exhaust manifold, the new turbine slightly rubbed. If I gently pulled the shaft on the compressor side the rubbing stopped so I machined a .020" spacer out of 304 stainless shim stock, placed it between the cartridge and manifold and all is well.
FYI: the .020" spacer's dimensions are 2.6" ID x 2.9" OD.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fixit, the seller (jan_hk2015) that we both used for the turbines was able get the package to my home in a week. Fast shipping!

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
yup that's him..
i've had good luck with kigwan (sp) 20g wheels and mamba rebuild kits..

fingers crossed.

Fixit, the seller (jan_hk2015) that we both used for the turbines was able get the package to my home in a week. Fast shipping!

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
who cut your s3 manifold for the bigger turbine?

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fixit: short version...me, I'm a machinist.
Notice how the manifold bore looks to be a perfect fit for the TD06SL2R including the better ramp location. (the Stage 3 manifold was necked down to fit the TD05HR turbine)

long version... In '12 I sent my cartridge to LCR for a TD06SL2 11 blade/20G 6+6 cast/basic rebuild kit retrofit. I chose to open the compressor cover and exhaust manifold at work (afterhours). The goal was .012" clearance all around both wheels. The manifold was easy but the comp cover was a pain. Both wheels use the same radius size so one tool did most of the work.

6 months ago a 10 blade Sumalaya point milled compressor was swapped in and 2 months ago the cartridge was rebuilt with an upgrade kit (better oiling) from USA-Xaviar and the new turbine. The Turbo Lab video in YouTube is a perfect rebuild how-to.

I don't want to take on machining projects but I can loan you the modded radius cutter if you want to alter yours. I mounted the manifold to a NC bridgeport with two knees, your machinist will generate a bore with the radius cutter .024" bigger (.012" per side) then calculate the needed depth so the cartridge is able to bottom plus another .012" depth for safe blade clearance. Then with a die grinder/oval cutter/sandpaper roll blend the machined bore to the manifold.

Comp cover after the 20G machining

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
is the exhaust manifold a straight bore to get the bigger turbine to fit, and is a radius cut needed?

i was running a evo8 w/20g, but this year i'm going evo9 for the bigger compressor housing..

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
is the exhaust manifold a straight bore to get the bigger turbine to fit, and is a radius cut needed?
There must be a .012'-.015" continuous gap between the turbine's radius and the radius that is on the manifold. So, the machined bore and radius contour accuracy is needed and important to prevent unnecessary exhaust gas leakage.

The majority of the turbine's critical gap to the manifold is the radius area, there is only a short distance where the bore is close to the turbine blades.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Additional feedback on the 9 Blade turbine conversion...

Switching from the regular 11 blade turbine to the lighter higher flowing 9 blade TD06SL2R really increased my top end power.

A quote from a RX7 turbo thread:
I understand now it is turbine backpressure that enables a bigger turbo will make more power at same psi. Bigger turbine wheel, less backpressure, more top end for given psi.

The light 9 blade turbines are an awesome bang for the buck mod!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts