Dodge SRT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what is the difference between a 50 trim and a 57 trim?? ive read about some having surge issues with the 57 but thats not what im looking for as anyone can have surging issues with any turbo. which is more efficent at about 23-25lbs? thanks in advance. :mofo:

·
Premium Member
10,649 Posts
It depends what compressor maps you read. Garrett says that their 50 trim flows 46 lbs/min while the 57trim flows 50 lbs/min. I have the garrett 57trim on my car, at 20 psi I trapped 120mph. I turned the boost to 24psi and I ran out of fuel. By judging by the 1/8 mile trap speed I would have trapped 124mph with a stock motor and no cams. The only real down fall of the 57trim is it spools slower then the 50trim and some people have surging issue's with them. I get full boost at 3,500rpms. The 57trim isnt really efficent until you hit 23-25psi

·
Registered
8,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the garrett turbos are what i was looking at anyway. Sorry i should have mentioned that. SO with what your saying the 57 will surge sort of like the stock turbo if floored too early? and has a slower spool times then the 50 correct?

·
Premium Member
10,649 Posts
Mine doesnt surge and never has. I have had it on my car for almost 2 years. It does spool alittle slower. But if tuned right 4 lbs/per min of flow is good for about 30-40whp more

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
the difference in the two turbos is the inducer size.the 50 trim has a smaller inducer that creates a faster spool up.if you hold a compressor wheel up the bottom part of the blades is called the exducer and the top would be the inducer.both the 50 and 57 trim have 2.95" exducer but the 50 trim has a 2.12"inducer and the 57 trim has a 2.23" inducer.

depending on the a/r of the compressor(the outlet area size) the two turbos will react differently.but if they are both for example a .63 a/r then the 50 trim will be more efficient at lower boost because it will operate in a higher efficiency range at that boost.according to the compressor maps thats right around22 psi. when you go above that it becomes less efficient than the 57 trim because of the volume of air it can flow.not to say that neither turbos are bad or not efficient but if you are looking to maximize power on that size exducer then a 57 trim can flow 4 more lbs per minute.every lb/min will equate to roughly 9.5 more hp.

the 50 trim is a very good match for a big turbo on a stock motor if you want to simply make more power and not lag as bad but if you are looking to drag race then the bigger the better.50,57 and 60 trim are all the same turbo.the only difference like i said is the inducer size and obviously how the compressor housing is cut.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
oh and just to throw in a shameless plug.......the biggest reason why most guys go with a 50 trim as opposed to the bigger is spool time.they tend to be a tad laggy however we have released our new wot box that will allow the guys with the bigger turbos to never come out of boost.the days of lag between shifts are over...check out my section for more info on it:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
10,649 Posts
never2muchboost said:
oh and just to throw in a shameless plug.......the biggest reason why most guys go with a 50 trim as opposed to the bigger is spool time.they tend to be a tad laggy however we have released our new wot box that will allow the guys with the bigger turbos to never come out of boost.the days of lag between shifts are over...check out my section for more info on it:thumbsup:
Listen to this man cause thats what I have on my laggy turbo. And Jay witnessed this himself in my car. I only dropped 2psi shifting from 3rd-4th gear :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
ok so is it possible to have a 50 trim with a 2.23 inducer? I have a garret compressor side/turbonetics exhaust side 50 trim and the specs say it's a 2.239 inducer...? BTW, automatic trannies ftw if you can get em to hold power...no need for a wot box :)

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
never2muchboost said:
both the 50 and 57 trim have 2.95" exducer
Wrong. The 50 trim has a 3.00 inducer.
you mean exducer right? my bad i was going by garretts specs.regardless of the number its the difference in the trim that i was getting at

·
Registered
399 Posts
1badsrt-4 said:
It depends what compressor maps you read. Garrett says that their 50 trim flows 46 lbs/min while the 57trim flows 50 lbs/min. I have the garrett 57trim on my car, at 20 psi I trapped 120mph. I turned the boost to 24psi and I ran out of fuel. By judging by the 1/8 mile trap speed I would have trapped 124mph with a stock motor and no cams. The only real down fall of the 57trim is it spools slower then the 50trim and some people have surging issue's with them. I get full boost at 3,500rpms. The 57trim isnt really efficent until you hit 23-25psi
What supporting mods do you have?

·
Premium Member
11,619 Posts
1badsrt-4 said:
Stupiddumbface said:

I have 750's, walbro 255, safc, 3" t/b, cti fmic, ported t/b and intake, agp hardpipes, dcr oil mod. There is more but that is just about all the power mods
Are you running a returnline?

·
Registered
399 Posts
1badsrt-4 said:
Stupiddumbface said:

I have 750's, walbro 255, safc, 3" t/b, cti fmic, ported t/b and intake, agp hardpipes, dcr oil mod. There is more but that is just about all the power mods
Damn man...I snapped my stock (with insert) mount on my first run at the track on the 57 trim I just installed. I ran a 13.4 @ 108 with the car wheel hoping for the first 400 feet or so. I doubt I will get it back to the track this year, but you give me something to look forward to. 11.9 make my pants happy.

·
Premium Member
10,649 Posts
I have no return line on the car. I tried to run 24psi at Nopi here 2 weeks ago and I ran out of fuel. The car should deffinatly run 11.6's @ 123-124mph on race gas. I just got my return line today. As for my a/f's they are 11.3-11.6 on pump gas.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.