Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Supporting Vendor (Gold)
Joined
·
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

We saw 405hp on a power "spike", but the dyno averages out the curve. We are at 10.6:1 a/f ratio, so there is PLENTY of room to spare. I just like it nice and safe, because I run strictly 92-93 octane. Yes, this was also on pump gas.
The power is just insane. The wheels scramble for traction through 4th gear, 5th gear is the only gear thats truly solid in-terms of traction, and Im too big of a puss to push very deep into that.
On the way home from the dyno though, the SC61 turbo somehow bent the shaft and augered the compressor wheel into the compressor housing :( Hopefuly Precision will warranty this, but Im not keeping my hopes up.
It was wierd because the turbo was perfectly fine before pulling in for gas. Get going again, and the turbo just fubar's up. Its up to Precision to figure out what went wrong now.
I have a t4/60-1 on there now. Its slow compared to the SC61. I think once boost finally crests, it SLAMS to full boost quicker, but Ive got to be off-the-charts rich because of the billowing black smoke out the exhaust. Im not going to bother re-tuning until I get a REAL turbo again...Im thinkin GT series :eveilgrin
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
345 Posts
Very nice numbers!!

I had a Precision SC61 on my turbo civic. It is one bad ass turbo. Hope they warranty it.
 

·
Supporting Vendor (Gold)
Joined
·
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pit Viper said:
Which manifold is this with? The one in your picture?
I'm still waiting on that cast one.... ;)
Yes, the exact setup pictured. The cast one is coming, its hard to keep forking $ out left and right when nothing is getting done. :sigh:, I hate sub-contracting.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,163 Posts
Tinker, I had a frined that had the same problem and his failed because something gut sucked up into the compressor inlet. Not sure if your running a filter into yours, but I'm betting when you disassemble your turbo, you may find the same problem.

That turbo you're running sucks massive air and it wouldn't take much for it suck something up and getting it wedged in between there.

Great numbers for that boost level. Imagine 30lbs of boost. Good luck getting it fixed
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,202 Posts
Tinker219 said:
Yes, the exact setup pictured. The cast one is coming, its hard to keep forking $ out left and right when nothing is getting done. :sigh:, I hate sub-contracting.

Good job tough guy :thumbsup:

Scotty called from the turbo room when you were on the dyno. He said it's all she gots captian, the trust washer reverter can't handle the boost. Ok bad joke

Anywho good job and on pump gas no less.
 

·
Supporting Vendor (Gold)
Joined
·
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Super Steve said:
Tinker, I had a frined that had the same problem and his failed because something gut sucked up into the compressor inlet. Not sure if your running a filter into yours, but I'm betting when you disassemble your turbo, you may find the same problem.

That turbo you're running sucks massive air and it wouldn't take much for it suck something up and getting it wedged in between there.

Great numbers for that boost level. Imagine 30lbs of boost. Good luck getting it fixed
I have always had a fine screen on there. During road trips, I would put panty-hose over the screen. Ive done this for 3 years, 15 turbos or so in all, and all have never just blown like this. Heres some pics:




 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,163 Posts
Sounds like what PsiFi said, thrust barring. When you spin the compressor wheel, does it appear to be out-of-balance. Big boost places extreme stress on that barring especially if you're getting back pressure. But That turbo should be able to boost past 22lbs. My T3/T4 will boost up to 30lbs by design.
 

·
Supporting Vendor (Gold)
Joined
·
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well, the confusing thing is it was FINE before I pulled off for gas. No noise or anything. Turbo-timed down, filled er up. Started it up, and almost instantly you could hear the turbo making noises. First gear...w000000(vibrating the whole time)2nd...w000000000000(vibration, vibrating the dash pieces). I decide to see what what it would do in boost in 3rd. w000000..w0000...w000. It wont go into boost. OK, two hours to go, better limp home!
I have solid engine mounts, thats why I could feel the vibration.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,163 Posts
I'm kind of curious. How hard do you normally run your car and when you do, what is you turbo timer set at once you turn off the car? The funny thing about thrust barrings is the fact that they will let go pretty much without notice. Which seems to be your case. Once Precision rips your turbo apart, they're gonna know right away what happened. One of the biggest failures associated with internal failures is heat either from over spool or lack of lubrication. Your compressor and turbine shaft will have signs of blueing and oil deposits burnt into the shafts themselves.

Hey Tink, I would like to know what they find out for my own reference if that's okay. Been getting into turbos alot lately. Sooner than later I will be building them myself.
 

·
Supporting Vendor (Gold)
Joined
·
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Super Steve said:
I'm kind of curious. How hard do you normally run your car and when you do, what is you turbo timer set at once you turn off the car? The funny thing about thrust barrings is the fact that they will let go pretty much without notice. Which seems to be your case. Once Precision rips your turbo apart, they're gonna know right away what happened. One of the biggest failures associated with internal failures is heat either from over spool or lack of lubrication. Your compressor and turbine shaft will have signs of blueing and oil deposits burnt into the shafts themselves.

Hey Tink, I would like to know what they find out for my own reference if that's okay. Been getting into turbos alot lately. Sooner than later I will be building them myself.
Well, I drive at least 100 miles/day. I dont boost the shit out of it, mainly because of the lag(see, theres a reason I like lag, less wear on everything). Because of the lag, if I want to go fast, itll hit 120 faster than you can say 120. Thats a lil too fast for p0 p0s around here, Id go straight to jail ;)
Im not sure wtf happened. I would like to know too, Im completely stumped. And if I over-spun it, when? Why did it show itself two hours after the dyno(last time I boosted heavily)? If the shaft bent at the dyno, I KNOW I wouldve noticed it long before I did. Ugh...I hate cars.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,108 Posts
Super Steve said:
One of the biggest failures associated with internal failures is heat either from over spool or lack of lubrication.
Speaking of that, Tinker, I've wondered before but forgot to ask... How in the world does your oil supply to the turbo drain back?!? From everything I've ever read, it's critical that the oil be able to drain back by gravity. There are specs on maximum angle from vertical and stuff for the drain-back line.
 

·
Supporting Vendor (Gold)
Joined
·
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I had to get creative w/this. Hard-line w/bend welded to a flange that bolts to the turbo. Then a silicon hose goes back over the tranny, and down to the return inlet. Its worked for around 5k miles so far!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
956 Posts
Bring it to Milan Dragway on saturday for the sport comact event. Get some good 1/4 mile times to go along with those nice dyno numbers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,882 Posts
Well both your turbine wheels look ok.. there's some mild dings (I think), but the picture quality is too low for me to be certain.. It doesn't look like anything got sucked up in there or it would be way worse!!
 

·
Supporting Vendor (Gold)
Joined
·
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
krispl said:
Bring it to Milan Dragway on saturday for the sport comact event. Get some good 1/4 mile times to go along with those nice dyno numbers.
What time does it all start? Saturday is kind of a bad day for me, but Ill be at the Gingerman Event on the 5th. I just got my t3/t67 in there, its kickin ass! ;)
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Top