Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being a former VW guy, the first mod that came to mind for power on a turbo car was a 3" turboback system. That was until the new issue of SCC came out and they stated having pulled timing and no HP gains (losses even) over stock due to the crappy gas (which since I live in AZ is what I would be using). What I'm curious of is- has anyone done (or know of) someone that has a 3" turboback on an otherwise stock car? and if so is it throwing codes/CEL? Is it forcing the computer to pull timing (or does it at least feel faster). I plan to go with a turbo upgrade sometime in the future (when my warranty has expired, just like all of my mods :jester: ) so I just don't think the mopar/borla system will cut it, but then again this is my daily driver, so I want it to be reliable.

·
Registered
976 Posts
If your talking about the side pipe they put onit was a catback not a turbo back, and they where right just a cat back won't make any differance on our cars but a turbo back with a high flow cat or race pipe will make gains.

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
A Mopar cat back on a stock car will net you about 7 hp at the wheels on a completly stock car. Modern performance used to have a dyno sheet comparison of a stock car with and without the Mopar cat back.

On a stock car (no stageds upgrades), if you install a turbo back exhaust with cat, you will get no cels. If you install a system without cat you will get a cel. The stages upgrades ignore the reading from the downstream cat, but still look for it to be connected to the harness.

You should get a 3 inch exhaust if you are planning for a turbo upgrade. On a stage 1 car, we got 12 hp and 12 ft/lb over the stock exhaust when replaced with a 3 inch exhaust. This was running stock boost and no othe rmods other than stage 1. Most 3 inch exhaust will post similar numbers, and more gains will be realized if you raise the boost.

I don't think you can tell if the PCM is pulling timing with just an OBD II scanner (that's what most people on hear have used to say the car isn't pulling timing). From what I understand, the timing reading you see on the scanners is the timing before the knock sensor has it's say...... That's why in the SCC artical, they say you need your "own DCX egnineer " to see if the car really is pulling timing.

Also to tell if the car is pulling timing, you have to run the car before the mods and look at the timing, then run the car after the mods and look at the timing again to see if the timing cureve changed. Most people (that reported they saw no timing pulled) just looked at the timing after.....and all they said is the car never pulled timing. That may be the case, but it may not have advanceed the timing as much is it did on the first run......

The side exit exhaust they have on the SCC car is a 3 inch dp into a 2.5 inch Magnaflow intermediate pipe (with straight through muffler) with side exit tip. My guess is the backpressure with the SCC system would ba about the same as a 3 inch turboback, that exits at the back of the car, seeing that there are 5 extra bends the exhaust has to go through on a 3 inch system to exit the back of the car.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
I have 3 inch turbo back and i have check engine light on b.c I have no cat. I noticed that since the spring mod the car felt much faster(boost around 17-18psi) but when i take it out u dont really notice the power untill top end. Otherwise when boosting the 3 inch turbo back helps out alot especially in top end. U will also notice more lag unless your doing wot!! :thumbsup: Hopefully when my s2 w.o toys comes in it will become of great use. :eveilgrin

·
Registered
310 Posts
bigmosrt said:
I have 3 inch turbo back and i have check engine light on b.c I have no cat. I noticed that since the spring mod the car felt much faster(boost around 17-18psi) but when i take it out u dont really notice the power untill top end. Otherwise when boosting the 3 inch turbo back helps out alot especially in top end. U will also notice more lag unless your doing wot!! :thumbsup: Hopefully when my s2 w.o toys comes in it will become of great use. :eveilgrin
the reason you have more lag is because your 3" turboback is too big for the stock turbo and its taking away some low end torque,ricer

·
Registered
158 Posts
Installed my B&B TBE w/ a cat on Saturday. No cels and definite power gains. When installed I only had on K&N CAI.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
from wat i hear, unless u plan on goin for big numbers 300+whp, then just stick with the Mopar-Borla. as long as u have one of the staged upgrades, the PCM will keep u from throwing codes with or without a cat because it doesnt read the second 02 sensor. if u have plans to go big in the future, get the 3" now with stage 1. u will have more power and no worries.

also, the MaxxFabb downpipe with the Mopar-Borla exhaust has produced similar numbers than a 3" turboback. and its not as loud. its all relative to wat u value the most over the other and wat ur plans r for the car.

me personally, i'm gettin the Mopar-Borla. that will last me til next summer when i get a turbo upgrade, then i will swap it out for a full 3"...i'm lookin at the modernperformance exhaust.

good luk wit watever u choose!

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
feigecycleturbo said:
the reason you have more lag is because your 3" turboback is too big for the stock turbo and its taking away some low end torque,ricer
I certainly hope you are joking with him, if not then you're an ass :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
ur low-end torque will drop with the bigger exhaust, but it will make up for it in the high end which is wat u want at the strip. our cars already produce an over-abundance of low-end torque which is what makes 1st gear so sucky wit the traction! my friend has the BDJ side exhaust wit no cat...it hauls ass, sounds incredible, and throws flames at WOT. u just cant beat that!

·
Registered
310 Posts
srt4turbo04 said:
I certainly hope you are joking with him, if not then you're an ass :thumbsup:
yes im joking sorta, but i think unecessarily big loud 3" exhausts are ricey

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
feigecycleturbo said:
I think they sound good, lol. When I think ricey I think raspy fart can, lol

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
feigecycleturbo said:
Everybody has different opinions..........

A 3 inch exhaust in on a sub 300-320 hp car is not needed, but that's what some people like....more power to em. Be kinda boring if everyone had the same sounding car............

I just built a custom 3 inch dual tip exhaust for a local customer. He liked the sound but I thought it sounded like............crap......and that's putting it mildy. Sounded like a small diesel tractor...........but hey, he was happy.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I have a 3inch dual tip exhaust. No cats, no mufflers, and one little resonator. With that exhaust and an mbc I ran a [email protected]h. Now, I have stage1 and the new billet agp wg and it HAULS ASS! If you want "more" power get a damn 3inch. Dont waste your money on a 2.5in exhaust.

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
LastOneStandin21 said:
I have a 3inch dual tip exhaust. No cats, no mufflers, and one little resonator. With that exhaust and an mbc I ran a [email protected]h. Now, I have stage1 and the new billet agp wg and it HAULS ASS! If you want "more" power get a damn 3inch. Dont waste your money on a 2.5in exhaust.
Gonna have to respectfully disagree with you on that one.

On my car running 18-19 psi and stage 1, a 3 inch dp and Mopar combo (bottle neck removed) made exaclty the same hp as a 3 inch turbo back exhaust. The dyno sheets are on the MAXX Fab web site.

You can get a Mopar exhaust for $335, a MAXX Fab stainless dp for $205, remove the bottle neck yourself with a hack saw (dp connects to the 2.5 inch section of the Mopar), and have a full stainless dual tip exhaust that'll support 300 hp for $535. That's about $170 cheaper than the cheapest stainless 3 inch dual tip exhaust. Take that extra money and buy a stainless O2 housing, and now you have a full stainless exhaust that will outperform the 3 inch exhaust, for the same price.

Granted, if you plan on upgrading to a bigger turbo, this may not be the best (I have a full 3 inch on my car now, but I'm runnning 12.2 at 122mph). But if you plan on sticking with the stock turbo, this is the best performance per doller stainless turbo back exhaust you can get (not including the BDJ's as that's half an exhaust).

·
Registered
232 Posts
I have the B&B Turbo back as my only mod so far. Mopar stg 1 on the way temporary fix until I get enough money for a turbo upgrade. As I've kinda held off on getting a CAI because of the whole Crankcase oil issue.. But I've had the exhaust on for quite some time now and this is what i've experienced. When I first went out in the car it pulled like a maniac and boosted 18 19 PSi and sometimes burying the boost gauge. But after a few days of driving it goes back to normal 15 14 psi. and then after about a week threw a code. P0420 Catylitic efficiency low. NO cat who would have guessed. No problems here. Doesn't seem to effect performance at all. Just disconnected the negative terminal. Code gone. But to my surprise and somewhat delight. High Boost is back but only 17 18 psi. No more 20+ spikes. Pulls like a freight train again. And then Ecu learns again but this time it takes a little longer to adjust back. Code appears randomly....but not a problem.. SO occasionally when I feel like going to a local meet and racing some people negative terminal gets disconnected and away I go. But just the other day I got a p0016. Crank/camshaft timing misalignment. But there seemed to be nothing wrong with the car. Still pulled hard and everything. I wanted to test a theory so I disconnected the negative terminal and the engine code still stayed. SOooooooo I drove it for like 40 minutes to test it and to see If I could notice anything and then the engine light went out. SO I was like wtf? so its alright? So I stopped did the ol problem code checkaroo and boom still a code....... so at this point I was really confused. Was to the point where I was about to put it on my lift and take the exhaust off and put the stock on and take it to the dealer(i'm still a little paranoid about taking it in for warranty work with a catless exhaust) But then I was like wait a minute...... if theres still a problem me disconnecting the negative terminal again shouldnt get rid of this code..... so I tried it .... code went away....... hasn't came back since.... And someone mentioned a bad sensor.... but i wasnt sure.. But if the light comes back on I'm sure as hell taking it in. Cause I wouldnt want my engine blowing up. I mean I even raced my buddy in his Chipped Volvo 850 turbo running 17 psi and I smoked him from a 40 kick and a stop running that 17 18psi from disconnecting the negative terminal. But other than that I love my exhaust and it seems to provide huge gains after I disconnnect the negative terminal and its feeling boosty. But thats just my experience. I'm hoping the stg 1 will provide me with the extra power and allow me to keep the extra boost im running without having to reset the ecu considering its a better pcm and it won't adjust down. My2cents

1 - 20 of 25 Posts