Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to buy a 2005 Neon SRT-4 Stage 3 with 150K miles on it. The only issue that it has is that the guy says it grinds going into 2nd and 3rd gear. He said that if you put it in 2nd at 2K RPM and under it shifts fine, and for 3rd gear you have to get it just right for it to not grind. He also says that it'll grind going into gear but then stay in gear like normal. He says that the way to fix this is to get an extender kit. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Sounds like bad synchros, an extender wont fix that.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Assuming you can find someone and parts, a couple grand?

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
I assume that's why he is selling it. Doesn't want to spend that kind of money to fix it. And I know I don't want to buy a car just to spend $1000+ to make it run properly. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,725 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
508 Posts
I don't have the resources or knowledge on changing out the synchro's, especially since I've never had an SRT4. It would cost a lot to have someone else do it, though.
Could be an opportunity to learn, but you do need the tools.. and space. so that can easily add up to a couple grand.

The other possibile route is to buy a used transmission, T850s aren't terribly common though.

If you lived in SW Minnesota I have the tools to disassemble the transmission gear sets, and would loan them to you, but i think ohio is a bit too far for that job.

There always is another car!

·
Registered
527 Posts
I would think by this time getting a used transmission would be the only choice. The prices of them are going up. I saw one on ebay for 1500 with no warranty. They always seem to say "shifts fine no grinds" until you put it in your car. I can't imagine any new parts for these trans being out there. I've seen lots of used items for sale. You definitely roll the dice with used transmission parts.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I would think by this time getting a used transmission would be the only choice. The prices of them are going up. I saw one on ebay for 1500 with no warranty. They always seem to say "shifts fine no grinds" until you put it in your car. I can't imagine any new parts for these trans being out there. I've seen lots of used items for sale. You definitely roll the dice with used transmission parts.
True, but i believe syncros and blocking rings are still available.. There are some parts that are not. I dont remember what they are.

·
Super Moderator
15,773 Posts
Good luck on finding a decent used transmission. They are the weak link on a limited run car last sold more than 15 years ago. As far as rebuilding yourself, I would not advise attempting this unless you really know what you are doing with regard to transmissions. I rebuilt my own and it failed rather catastrophically on me, and I'm pretty good at wrenching on engines. Not so experienced with transmissions.

If you do buy one off ebay insist on a warranty, or don't buy it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts