Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Yeah, ok...

So I have Stage 2. I had champion plats gapped at 0.043 and I would spike to 21-22 lbs of boost sometimes, no big deal. I have a big FMIC =P

Put in new Champion Coppers (mopar plugs) at 0.035 and my car is boosting 25-26 lbs now (needle points straight down, lol)...in all gears past 1st. 4 mm on the WGA. Still does the spike, then falls to 15ish around redline, holds around 18-20 for a good amount of time in 3rd and 4th...

Maaaybe it's a boost leak, but I dunno...I checked that shit already. My connector to the hotside hardpipe had blown off once already and when I put it back on, I tightened the shit out of all my clamps using an air ratchet.

Definately feel more power when it spikes to 25 vs 22. I couldn't break my tires loose in the middle range of 2nd gear before...had to slam it from the beginning to do that. Now I can cruise along at 45-50, slam it...spike to 25 and bust the tires loose. It's kinda scary cuz I know the efficiency range of the stocker is 20ish lbs, lol.

Anyone else seeing this? Should I widen my gap back to 0.040? I kinda like the way it's driving right now...is it ok? =)

I also thought the computer would adjust by now by pulling timing or something...maybe it's not getting as much hot air as I thought. Been driving it for a day now like this.

I'll go ahead and list all my mods...
Stage 2 (need to install toys still...)
Champions @ 0.035
Borla catback
AEM cold-air intake (AKA Frankenstein, since it's hacked the fuck up so it fits)
Hardpipes w/ Greddy Type-S
Spearco big FMIC
Mopar Stage 3 coilovers
Centerline Storm 17" w/ Kumho Ecsta Supras
Prothane MM inserts
MSD coilpack and wires

Sorry for the sporadic post.....it's late...thanks for the help.

·
Registered
956 Posts
I would check EVERYTHING, and keep checking everything over and over again until your boost drops down. Past 22 psi the stock turbo makes nothing but heat. YOU WILL RISK DAMAGING YOUR TURBO AT 25 PSI. If you have to, disable your boost completely until you get this fixed.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well that doesn't help.

I'll check my clamps again tommorow. It's not holding 25 lbs of boost...it's just a quick spike, then it falls to 18-20, then to 14-16 at redline.

Nothing has blown up...haven't heard anything abnormal...no detonation...

Wish I had a pyrometer...and wideband...

blah. strange I'm spiking so high while still being controlled by the PCM.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Roc said:
well that doesn't help.

I'll check my clamps again tommorow. It's not holding 25 lbs of boost...it's just a quick spike, then it falls to 18-20, then to 14-16 at redline.

Nothing has blown up...haven't heard anything abnormal...no detonation...

Wish I had a pyrometer...and wideband...

blah. strange I'm spiking so high while still being controlled by the PCM.
Did you pre-load the S2 wastegate too much, maybe 4mm on your WGA is too much, maybe try adjusting it down a bit???

When I had S2 on my car within the first few days I saw a couple 22+ psi spikes, but after a few days I was only seeing 20 psi consistently.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Yea, that's what is the strangest thing. Your PCM should not be spiking like that in the first place. You sure you have S2 installed properly?

·
Registered
6,869 Posts
blowing the turbo at 25 psi is silly talk

this has been me for 4 months on my 04 below.

edit: thats in 2nd gear mind you.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,804 Posts
U sure your guage is accurate? There have been a few bad guages out there

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Mine's one of them, I don't bother to look at it anymore. I have the E-01 for a cross-check. Guage 15 psi on my car is really about 13, and 20 is 17.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
How can you tell if you have a bad gauge?

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
Rydiak said:
YOU WILL BLOW UP YOUR TURBO AT 25 PSI.
LMFAO, blowing up your turbo at 25psi? So this must have happened to you right, or someone you know?
The only thing that will 'blow up' will be the seals (and thats not at a predetermined psi), if your lucky enough to suck up a rock...maybe your compressor wheel will expload...but not your turbo.

Whats so many peoples fascination with your turbo 'blowing up'?

·
Registered
374 Posts
mine does the same thing, spikes to about 24-25 just for a sec and then goes back down to about 19, thought it might be my boost gauge so I changed to a 30 psi gause and it still does it. no problems here and been running it since may.

·
Registered
956 Posts
By blowing up, I don't mean the literal detonation of your turbo. If you've ever watched your EGTs while WOT boosting over 22 psi, you will notice the temperature SKYROCKETS. This greatly increases the chance of damaging something. Not saying it will do it right away, but perhaps down the line. Anyways, better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Rydiak said:
I would check EVERYTHING, and keep checking everything over and over again until your boost drops down. Past 22 psi the stock turbo makes nothing but heat. YOU WILL BLOW UP YOUR TURBO AT 25 PSI. If you have to, disable your boost completely until you get this fixed.

What crack are you smoking... it wont BLOW UP... it will have a reduced life span...

·
Banned
2,943 Posts
I'd say the boost gauge is fux'ed. From 10 to 20 vac see if the needle moves smooth or if it kind of sticks. My 03's kind of sticks on the vac. I need to take it in but I am lazy. I get in my GLHS with an autometer gauge and it is nice and smooth. I guess they went with a cheaper autometer and it doesn't hold up... My Dad's 04 has a much smoother boost gauge.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
Rydiak said:
By blowing up, I don't mean the literal detonation of your turbo. If you've ever watched your EGTs while WOT boosting over 22 psi, you will notice the temperature SKYROCKETS. This greatly increases the chance of damaging something. Not saying it will do it right away, but perhaps down the line. Anyways, better safe than sorry.
Not trying to be a dick, but your response does not support your previous statement. And people rarely care about egts anymore as they dont really mean anything. A wideband is a much more efficent tool. ....shoot, just cruising down the highway will give you really high egts :frogtongu

Dodgez: The gauge is pretty pathetic, I had to upgrade mine almost imediately just cause the power responses I had from my stocker...and the looks aren't to awesome. But here are some inside pics of it, you can tell that they wanted it made as cheaply as possible.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts