Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The car has 66000 miles. Upgrades, MPX downpipe back single exit exhaust, CX racing big front mount intercooler with crash bar, short ram intake, Massive Motorsports engine and trans mounts, prosport evo wideband and boost gauge, new 18x8 traklite rims with almost new tires. I believe the car rear ended someone. He's asking $6000 for it. What do you guys think about the price?

·
Registered
6,869 Posts
Looks nice but rebuilts are typically $5K and lower because 1) you won't get more than that if you try to sell it and 2) you don't know the extent of the damage (bent frame?).

·
Registered
6,869 Posts
If it's rebuilt and inspected shouldn't all the damage be fixed?
1) At some point the car was in a crash bad enough to where the insurance company was unwilling to pay for the high cost of fixing it. In other words it wasn't just a fender bender.
2) The car was rebuilt and inspected, but was it done right? Was something missed in the inspection like a hairline crack in the frame?

SRT-4's with clean titles go for $6k.
It's up to you. Some guys on the forum have bought salvaged srt's without any regrets.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I have an R-title 2003 SRT-4. Every single body panel, door, hood & trunk, bumpers, etc are matching VIN's. It is a gorgeous car that looks better than my clean titled 2004 SRT-4 (which has two mismatched doors from an E-blue). The way I see it, when these cars are in an accident our insurance companies see how much our cars blue book for (which is NOT much at all) and see the high cost to fix the damage, they total them. I mean, crap, our front bumpers go for $1,000 after body shop fees, paint, etc. Thats already a big chunk of money right there. It's also possible it could be a flood damaged or theft recovery vehicle. It all comes down to what you, the buyer, will decide. Inspect the car, put it on a hoist, etc and make sure its not catastrophically damaged. Although, the car has already been inspected hence the "rebuilt" title. If it was a "salvage" title, stay farrrr away. My .02

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've been tempted to buy r-titled vehicles many of times. Sadly, they are much often demanding a price quite close to a slightly higher mileage clean title. Questions are do you trust a strangers work? I typically do not unless it is evident by the person. Do you trust YOUR work if you must fix something? Make sure to find out as much as you can about why it is an r-title. It's no fun being in the dark with a broken toy..

Analyze what the seller is telling you and decide, but don't think anything is too far fetched. I hit a deer in the front right of my 03. Couldn't have been doing more than 40mph, had time to jack the brakes too. Deer didn't touch anywhere farther than the hood scoop but the car was totaled. Core support, hood, and a fender would've done the trick. But Srt parts are expensive, and after labor and paint is factored in it's often totaled.

Let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
$4k max.

It may be fine, and it may not be. Sometimes r-title vehicles have little quirks to them like always pulling to the right or popping and cracking while going over a bump.

IMO find a car that hasn't been fubar-d. It may look nice on the outside but it takes a careful inspection to find the problems and usually by that time it is in your driveway and it is too late. IMO that price it way too high.

Also think about this. How many people are going to put x amount of dollars to make SURE that the car is EXACTLY back to factory spec? C'mon now it is a neon.

I think the only car that I would purchase that was totaled is the F40 that the monkeys did on the discovery channel. Then again Ferrari engineers, body, and frame people along with all factory parts were involved with the restoration.

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
Depends on the damage. A good shop will show you the before pictures.

My PT is rebuild; the sweet little 'ole lady who owned it since new smacked into someone. New fenders, lights, and grille. No frame or other damage. Because it included a front-end spray / blend in the estimate, damage cost pushed it over into rebuild territory.

2005 PT GT 'verts list for $8k+ when they do hit the market (fairly rare), and average transaction price is $7400.

I bought mine, taxes-in, for $5600.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts