Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2004 srt4
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I am looking into replacing shift selector in my 2004 srt4 as it’s stuck in gear.
does anybody else know of any other issue that will cause this or is it just known for the shift selector to brake. I personally don’t want to do it. But will if I have too
Any thoughts are appreciated
Thanks guys.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Hey guys I am looking into replacing shift selector in my 2004 srt4 as it’s stuck in gear.
does anybody else know of any other issue that will cause this or is it just known for the shift selector to brake. I personally don’t want to do it. But will if I have too
Any thoughts are appreciated
Thanks guys.
Check the bushings.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,412 Posts
does the shifter move? does it feel like you're shifting gears with the shifter?

stuck in 1st gear is not a known issue. Like mentioned above, check the bushings on both ends of the cables and check the condition of the cables themselves. If that doesnt appear to be the issue, remove the cables from the transmission side and see if you can select the gears manually with your hands.

·
Registered
2004 srt4
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for that info and no the shifter is completely stuck in first gear it doesn’t move at all and it doesn’t feel like I’m going threw any gears when trying to shift everything just feels like it’s locked up in first.

·
Premium Member
4,412 Posts
the shift selector is very easy to remove from the top of the transmission. If you do as i said above and remove the cables and then attempt to move the selector by hand and it is stuck, remove it. once it is off the car, inspect it for damage and see if it moves freely. I feel like you're more likely looking at a shift fork issue.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yea like gump said try to move it by hand.

Pop the hood and under the battery area on top of the transmission are two shifter cables attached to the transmission.

Try to move each one by hand. Feel around it to see if a bushing is missing or broken.

One bushing went missing for me under the hood on the tranny side, the other bushing broke inside the car where the shifter is. I just replaced all 4 with clips.

·
Registered
2004 srt4
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alright guys so big update I just got to look at the car my self I was going off what the last owner was saying before I bought the car. So the update is that the shifter from inside the car moves freely like there’s nothing there there no gears in the shifter but it moves everywhere. Long story short I can go threw we’re all the gears would be but it’s not changing any gears the car is in first gear runs and drives and stops no trans noises or anything odd sounding I’m bout to tear up the center console but wondering if I’m going in the right direction or if I should check other things before taking the center console out and looking.

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
Pull the console and see what's going on under there.

·
Premium Member
4,412 Posts
sounds to me like a broken shift cable.

if thats the case, it sucks they are so expensive, but here they are.

·
Premium Member
4,412 Posts
That’s why I’m here.

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
No problem, good luck

·
Registered
54 Posts
There are 4 spots the cables connect to. Check each spot and see if the bushings are still there.
2 in the engine bay and 2 under the shifter.

Also visually check the cable to confirm they are in good shape.

Once you found your issue don’t forget to adjust the adjustment bolt to help shift into gears easier.

·
Registered
2004 srt4
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
There are 4 spots the cables connect to. Check each spot and see if the bushings are still there.
2 in the engine bay and 2 under the shifter.

Also visually check the cable to confirm they are in good shape.

Once you found your issue don’t forget to adjust the adjustment bolt to help shift into gears easier.
Thank you very much for the information

1 - 17 of 17 Posts