Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Hey everyone, I just recently purchased my second SRT4. It's a 2004 with 140k. Runs great with Diablo Trinity 2 Tuning. Just curious on the procedure for changing the timing belt and water pump. I have the parts, and just wanting to know if anyone has done this with little auto- experience. I appreciate all the input!

·
Premium Member
3,849 Posts
I recently did this job on mine. If you do not have a copy of the service manual, GET IT! it's available online.

I can try to answer questions if you have specific ones, but i did this job with the motor out of the car, so the process was a bit different (easier) for me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I recently did this job on mine. If you do not have a copy of the service manual, GET IT! it's available online.

I can try to answer questions if you have specific ones, but i did this job with the motor out of the car, so the process was a bit different (easier) for me.
I just purchased the timing kit, and I have seen some videos that look pretty involved, i.e dismounting the tires/axels/ motor mounts ect... where can I find an SRT owner's manual? I do not have one!! is it possible to do without pulling the motor over and taking off all the motor mounts?

·
Registered
11,942 Posts
probably. but you better have tiny hands and thin tools.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
probably. but you better have tiny hands and thin tools.
I have the owner's manual now, I just want to know if its something anyone has done with the motor intact. And about how long did it take to change? All auto shops are quoting around 650$ just labor. I'd rather just do it myself.

·
Premium Member
3,849 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,849 Posts
Where are you located? you might be able to find someone in your ahead who has done the work before that can lend a hand.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I have the owner's manual now, I just want to know if its something anyone has done with the motor intact. And about how long did it take to change? All auto shops are quoting around 650$ just labor. I'd rather just do it myself.
Im about to do it myself and dreading it bc I just cant afford the labor costs and lots on the back end needs replaced as well. I might as well just pull everything and do it myself.

You can do it in the car easier by shifting the motor/tranny over a few inches. You should def replace your 4th motor mount while youre there.

There are videos on youtube but I like to follow MattsNeedforSpeed. Hes a great SRT owner and does how-to videos.

SRT How-to List: dodge neon srt4 how to ... - YouTube
Timing Video:

Whats going to happen is youre going to get to where its time to line up the timing marks and when you slip the belt on - it will offset the cam marks. Everytime youll have to turn the motor over twice by hand to verify. Check out the main SRT FB group and search the top of the group. There are lots of posts and pics on there bc everyone struggles w it. There is a tool you can buy to hold the cams in place but you dont need it if you offset the marks correctly.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Man I need to get this done but it seems like such a miserable job. Hopefully I can find someone local that is familiar with the job on these cars.

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
There are a lot of how-to;s on the job. I have looked through them. Its not a fun job. I paid a friend to do it on my old Black 03 SRT-4. Had the original belt on it and was around 120k miles if I remember right. This was about 6 or 7 years ago. The belt didn't look bad at all at 120k. Highly doubt it had been replaced before. He owned a SRT-4 too and is a mechanic and has done it on these cars before. I waited on it and helped him out. It is one hell of a job I will tell you that. Can only imagine doing it without a lift! I personally would never attempt to do it myself. I would pay a shop that has done it on these cars to do it. It is worth it for me to know it was done right and have some sort of warranty behind it.

Not to derail the OP's thread. My 05 Neon SRT is very low mileage at 22k. The belt is almost 15 years old. No issues so far. I am thinking about having it replaced this year just for piece of mind due to the age. I keep an eye on the serpentine belt which is original and I can assume if that is starting to crack/wear the timing belt is doing the same.

·
Premium Member
3,849 Posts
Not to derail the OP's thread. My 05 Neon SRT is very low mileage at 22k. The belt is almost 15 years old. No issues so far. I am thinking about having it replaced this year just for piece of mind due to the age. I keep an eye on the serpentine belt which is original and I can assume if that is starting to crack/wear the timing belt is doing the same.
if it makes you feel any better, i recently replaced one of the original serpentine belts and my car has over 100k on it.... i replaced it because i had to take it off and i figure... why not? not because of any issue.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts